: Tire question

MaRR
04-17-2002, 10:22 AM
I've got a piece of metal in my tire, and was wondering if you can throw a plug in it, as you would a car tire? I'm putting on new tires in a couple of weeks and until then I was wondering if there's a quick-fix for it.....

vrecksler
04-17-2002, 10:51 AM
Do not plug a bike tire like you would a car tire! You can get your tire plugged, assuming it is the rear tire and the plug will be close to the center not off to the side. But these plugs are shaped like mushrooms and applied from the inside of the tire so that the plug cannot come out.

Since you only have a couple weeks to go you may be able to get away with the car plug--I do not recommend it because with a bike you only have two tires so if that plug goes you are in trouble. Tough call, I think I would stick the new tires on now if I could, or take it to a shop and get a proper plug put it. I got my rear tire done at Holeshot in Langley for $40--I took just the tire and rim to them, not the whole bike. :)

MaRR
04-17-2002, 11:04 AM
thanks for the input!

That $40 you spent...was it for a plug as well, or just mounting/balancing?

Sticky Buns
04-17-2002, 11:38 AM
MaRR,
Yes you can plug a bike tire like a car tire;
just not with the mushroom type(unless you want to take the tire off the rim). Use the push in vulcanizing ones.
I wouldn't suggest hard riding on it though.
However; if you ever go to an edurance race check out the tire kit bag of some of the smaller teams that cant afford several sets of tires and see what they have, it might look familiar.

Vrecksler,
You got raped @ Hole shot dude,
Western Powersports across the street will do it for about $20.00 a tire if you bring it in.
:eek

PorscheNut
04-17-2002, 12:16 PM
One morning 2 years ago I went to my bike and found that it had flat rear tire from a metal puncture, (about 1/2 way between the sidewall and the top). I repaired it using the sticky rubber plug that goes in from the outside, (from Crappy Tire), then I immediately rode to Burnaby Kawi to get the tire replaced. To my surprise they said that the plug was fine. They sprayed it with some soapy water to see if there was any leakage, pronounced it good and just told me not to do anything crazy on the bike. It lasted for many a wheelie and corner afterwards, (at least a couple thousand kilometres) until unfortunatley meeting it's demise by an errant car.

vrecksler
04-17-2002, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by Sticky Buns

Vrecksler,
You got raped @ Hole shot dude. :eek

It would not be the first time, but I will keep that in mind the next time around. :)