: Class 6 Road Test Pointers

Pages : 1 2 [3]

Nas
09-16-2010, 12:06 PM
I stayed where I was until I had about an additional half car length in front, didn't have any issues or marks for that.

bullet_Tooth
09-21-2010, 01:17 PM
passed class 6 test today. examiner was Nick, nice dude.

went from burnaby test cntr to highway 1 via willingdon, exit off 1st st. left , straighed thru boundry, then residential aread, then back on boundry, straigh through, school zone, think they were 2 zones, we turned left on pender at 1 point.

then past hastings, right (2nd school zone) right again on boundry, left on hastings. then right again some side street to do a U.

alot of times he told me very close to the intersections to turn, (think he said sorry a few times).
told me i missed sholder check, which i did ,and told me that i should stay in P3 when i am in mulitiple lane situation (prs said P1) anyhow thats all i can remember. hope it helps

Drezek
10-14-2010, 08:14 AM
passed my class 6 yesterday at Surrey location. I would definitely recommend if you have been riding your own bike for awhile before your test that use it rather then a bike a school provides. It felt so weird getting back on a Super Sherpa after riding my ZX-6R for a few months. It made me feel extra nervous and i even stalled it twice on the test. I recovered quickly tho and continued on. I felt I was more worried about the bike and the feel of it then was necessary which distracted on me concentrating on what i needed to do at times.
just my 2 cents

nurider
10-19-2010, 12:23 PM
Hi all

I am going for roadtest on first week of Nov in surrey, any tips on school zones or what routes they take, did my training at PRS. I dont have my own bike but i feel comfortable riding the sherpa from PRS.

Also question about traffic circles and signalling is it important and dedicated turn lanes?

redv
10-19-2010, 01:43 PM
Hi all

I am going for roadtest on first week of Nov in surrey, any tips on school zones or what routes they take, did my training at PRS. I dont have my own bike but i feel comfortable riding the sherpa from PRS.

Also question about traffic circles and signalling is it important and dedicated turn lanes?

Yes, dedicated turn lanes are important, if you miss one then don't worry. Don't try to get back in illegally. Keep going, he'll make you hit another one and you will not fail for missing it - but will if you cross the solid line.

You will hit a traffic circle.
Just remember do whatever is safest. Don't force traffic to stomp on their brakes because of you. Do your shoulder checks when turning, and just go for a nice relaxing ride.

chris0055
10-19-2010, 02:43 PM
Try book a one hour road test assessment with Chris from PRS.
He helped me a lot and he'll take you through most of school zones/parks that you'll encounter during the test.
trust, its worthy!!:rockon

Hi all

lucifers_angels
10-19-2010, 05:57 PM
Try book a one hour road test assessment with Chris from PRS.
He helped me a lot and he'll take you through most of school zones/parks that you'll encounter during the test.
trust, its worthy!!:rockon

I second that one, I did a road assessment with Chris 3 days before my test it was awesome. Totally helped me. I'm sure I would of failed if I didn't do the road assessment. Chris pointed a few things out I was doing wrong and I passed with only 1 demerit.

nurider
10-19-2010, 08:41 PM
thanks guys, i booked a mock test with Dat a day before my test . i think i got most of the stuff covered from the notes he gave me, but i think i need to pay more attention to school zones because i always have a hard time finding the end of it on the other side specially if they are hidden behind the trees and also what i have read school zones can be in doubles hidden on the other side of the road hidden behind trees and also school zones dont end if you make a turn in a school zone, luckily all of them apply to me since i am taking the test at 11 am so everything is in effect with a tag LOL.

a silly question when making a right turn and its red - you stop and then proceed if clear after shoulderchecking?

and when approaching a left turn when the flashing left turns amber and solid green above it and opposite side vehicles start moving is it ok to roll/occupy intersection?

thanks again!

nurider
11-04-2010, 06:52 PM
ok si did the test with chris @ PRS yesterday totally bombed it on playground zone exited too fast but definately helpful tips to go with the mock test.

anyhow i went for the rod test today , the guy pretty much took me everywhere lol , did U turn highway traffic circle did almost 5-6 school zones and playground areas felt like the test took forever and i thought i was going to fail, but to my suprise as i pulled up in the PRS lot i passed my examiners name is damian , great guy and friendly took it at surrey location across from PRS... a lot of tips from this forum and the notes Dat gave me an the mock test was helpful. now time to look to get a bike gotta wait till jan though...

happy riding!

chris0055
11-04-2010, 09:09 PM
ok si did the test with chris @ PRS yesterday totally bombed it on playground zone exited too fast but definately helpful tips to go with the mock test.

anyhow i went for the rod test today , the guy pretty much took me everywhere lol , did U turn highway traffic circle did almost 5-6 school zones and playground areas felt like the test took forever and i thought i was going to fail, but to my suprise as i pulled up in the PRS lot i passed my examiners name is damian , great guy and friendly took it at surrey location across from PRS... a lot of tips from this forum and the notes Dat gave me an the mock test was helpful. now time to look to get a bike gotta wait till jan though...

happy riding!

Congrats!!! now enjoy the cold breeze:rockon

95redrado
11-17-2010, 05:13 PM

happy riding!

I just passed my class 6 today in surrey and had damian, really nice guy. Can't wait till we get some nice weather again and i can bring the bike out!

Ninjaboy8
11-17-2010, 09:32 PM
Congrats!

Must be hard to not ride after passing your road test! I passed my road test in April in snowing weather!

95redrado
11-17-2010, 10:13 PM
Congrats!

Must be hard to not ride after passing your road test! I passed my road test in April in snowing weather!

Tell me about it, i JUST put the bike away for winter on sunday, now i want to ride it but i have some small winter projects i'm working on for it right now

Explizit
12-01-2010, 10:12 AM
Just did my class 6 in september, day before 19th birthday, anyways... i got 100% on it mainly because my head was only looking forward 1/2 the time.

A quick response to the "signal off too early" on both my N test and class 6 test i had asked the instructor what the rules on this was. The first one said

"Once you are parrellel to the curb you have 5 bike lengths to turn your signal off"

the second one said

"once you are parrellel to the curb you have 3 seconds to turn the signal off"

nurider
12-13-2010, 12:44 AM
Just did my class 6 in september, day before 19th birthday, anyways... i got 100% on it mainly because my head was only looking forward 1/2 the time.

A quick response to the "signal off too early" on both my N test and class 6 test i had asked the instructor what the rules on this was. The first one said

"Once you are parrellel to the curb you have 5 bike lengths to turn your signal off"

the second one said

"once you are parrellel to the curb you have 3 seconds to turn the signal off"

grats!

nurider
12-13-2010, 12:44 AM
I just passed my class 6 today in surrey and had damian, really nice guy. Can't wait till we get some nice weather again and i can bring the bike out!

oh wow small world congrats btw

lok
01-27-2011, 09:38 PM
the last 35 pages of reading were very helpful, I thank everyone who contributed :coffee

passed my class 6 road test today, did the MST a day before (they have the best parking lot for the MST)

Port Coquitlam location, didn't go on a 80km/h hwy, the max was 70km/h zone in Lougheed, a few school zones, few playground zones, 1 u-turn, 2 hazard perception, 2 parking the bike on the side of the road, 1 parking the bike in the parking lot, 6-7 Stop signs, 3 yields, 2 lane change. After the test, the examiner gave me a lot of suggestion and comments. Listen to them, they are very helpful.

Overall, the test was not easy, streets are narrow, lot of lane changes, lot of speed limit changes, lot of crosswalk, a lot of things, signs aren't easy to spot either, you'll need lots of practice and experience on the road. Make sure you had a good night sleep before the test (I didn't).

see you guys on the road soon :rockon

mickm
01-28-2011, 11:30 AM
congrats! Looking forward to riding with you guys (group rides) come spring/summer :)

Ride hard, ride safe

Francis
01-28-2011, 11:42 AM
the last 35 pages of reading were very helpful, I thank everyone who contributed :coffee

passed my class 6 road test today, did the MST a day before (they have the best parking lot for the MST)

Port Coquitlam location, didn't go on a 80km/h hwy, the max was 70km/h zone in Lougheed, a few school zones, few playground zones, 1 u-turn, 2 hazard perception, 2 parking the bike on the side of the road, 1 parking the bike in the parking lot, 6-7 Stop signs, 3 yields, 2 lane change. After the test, the examiner gave me a lot of suggestion and comments. Listen to them, they are very helpful.

Overall, the test was not easy, streets are narrow, lot of lane changes, lot of speed limit changes, lot of crosswalk, a lot of things, signs aren't easy to spot either, you'll need lots of practice and experience on the road. Make sure you had a good night sleep before the test (I didn't).

see you guys on the road soon :rockon

Congrats, man!

Anyways, how'd you manage to do your MST? I tried to get mine booked, but Langley (or the cell centre) wouldn't accept appointments till March.

Langley expects me to go there everyday and hope someone misses their appointment so they can do my MST....

lok
01-28-2011, 11:47 AM
Congrats, man!

Anyways, how'd you manage to do your MST? I tried to get mine booked, but Langley (or the cell centre) wouldn't accept appointments till March.

Langley expects me to go there everyday and hope someone misses their appointment so they can do my MST....

Thanks

On any Wednesday, Thursday or Friday you can just walk in anytime before 3:30pm at the Port Coquitlam location and do your MST. They are nice :)

remember, practice makes perfect :rider:

Francis
01-28-2011, 12:00 PM
So if there's a free slot, they'll do it? Nice.

But unfortunately, I've decided to do it through PRS lol

Sweetjubbee
01-28-2011, 12:50 PM
So if there's a free slot, they'll do it? Nice.

But unfortunately, I've decided to do it through PRS lol

Very good choice.

biggerthanfun
03-24-2011, 08:41 PM
Turning left at a two-way left turn lane: What would be preferred, to use it, then wait to get into the travel lane, or to just wait until all traffic is clear and skip it?

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQdjDkpiRtJubmUtZZIyj_mkjhd0gfwb pFCFVrrZ1h7CdTan3ui

Pretend there is a street to the east that I am turning left from.

cvrle1
03-25-2011, 09:58 AM
Use it. That's what its there for after all. And you don't want to put yourself in a situation where you don't use it and someone behind you wanting to turn into the same street as you uses it. That just spells trouble and I would guess it would be considered your fault if accident did occur.

Turning left at a two-way left turn lane: What would be preferred, to use it, then wait to get into the travel lane, or to just wait until all traffic is clear and skip it?

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQdjDkpiRtJubmUtZZIyj_mkjhd0gfwb pFCFVrrZ1h7CdTan3ui

Pretend there is a street to the east that I am turning left from.

superhewo
04-10-2011, 03:09 PM
PRS study guide is quite useful!

pm if anyone wants a lookie over before their road test.

irishnomad
05-05-2011, 11:53 AM
can anybody tell me where I can go to take test if i live in Osoyoos. I know you can book online for Kelowna, but I was wondering whether I can do it in Osoyoos, or Penticton. Thanks.

mickm
05-05-2011, 12:53 PM
can anybody tell me where I can go to take test if i live in Osoyoos. I know you can book online for Kelowna, but I was wondering whether I can do it in Osoyoos, or Penticton. Thanks.

As per ICBC's site, Kelowna is the closest place to do your test

Or

You can call your local driver services and ask if there's somewhere closer to take it

Good luck!

vexor
05-11-2011, 07:04 PM
Some great tips on here, Sticky possibly??

i'll be going for my road test sometime in the next month or two

Invalid
05-12-2011, 06:38 PM
Passed class 6 on tuesday, specific points the examiner said why i passed:

riding style showed i had attented a school, took PRS (said that he overlooked some faults because i look confident on the bike)
shoulder checks in proper places and lots of them (when your shoulder checking randomly for no reason, like going straight, said shows you have no clue what your doing)
Scan intersections... quess some people miss this?
Rode on the speedlimit, if it says 50, go 50

Ride with confidence and like you know what your doing, he even said that he passes or fails people on his gut impression of how you ride, not on the scoring system solely.

born2ride
05-14-2011, 12:58 AM
Just passed my road test this week! So pumped to get my first bike and get out on the road. Passed in Abbotsford, great place to take it. Shoulder checks! Happy Riding all!

Dan_T
05-14-2011, 11:17 AM
When I passed, it boiled down to this: Relax! Breathe, and talk your way through the exam. As stated, over-do the shoulder checks for intersections, lights (even if it's a "Tee" intersection, scan both ways BEFORE you cross the painted stop line). Stop where the stop signs are posted, not where the intersection begins (some are recessed back and you have to stop, clear your intersection, then creep forward). School Zones. They're especially tricky in Surrey. We hit them on our group ride with PRS, so I felt confident going into the exam... I still nearly missed one. Oh, yeah, did I mention to breathe and relax? It's as they say... this is your ride. Make it yours.

BlkMtnRider
05-26-2011, 01:29 PM
Just wanted to let everyone know I passed this morning in the worst rain Kelowna has seen all year. It's about the same as Vancouver rain though. That being said, this was my first time riding in the rain, so that was a little sketchy, but I was amazed at the amount of traction I had. I really didn't change my riding at all.

I don't know about the lower mainland, but up here you don't do any shoulder checks unless you're turning left or right, or changing lanes. None of this shoulder check at intersection stuff up here!

I ended up getting 2 demerits. One for a late signal and one for wobbling a bit when taking off. Other than that, she said I did great. I was soooo nervous I was driving my wife crazy the past couple of days. It would have all gone away when the test started had it not been for the downpour. It just felt like I was riding!

All in all, she didn't pull any tricks, ans was a fairly easy ride. I DID take the road test prep course through the Safety Council up here 2 days ago. that was HUGE! I learned a lot that contradicted what was said in this thread that made it much easier for me.

BlkMtnRider
05-26-2011, 05:04 PM
Off the top of my hear it was all the people saying to do deep shoulder checks before moving forward after a stop. Not true, just scan the intersection.

Also is the fact that if there's a stop sign with no line or sidewalk, and it is impeded by a hedge or something so you can't see, you do not have to stop at the sign anymore. You can stop past the sign so you don't have to stop and then creep forward anymore.

That's all I can remember right now. Too happy!

cba
05-26-2011, 05:57 PM
Off the top of my hear it was all the people saying to do deep shoulder checks before moving forward after a stop. Not true, just scan the intersection.

Also is the fact that if there's a stop sign with no line or sidewalk, and it is impeded by a hedge or something so you can't see, you do not have to stop at the sign anymore. You can stop past the sign so you don't have to stop and then creep forward anymore.

That's all I can remember right now. Too happy!

Well its all 'subjective' to particular location/stop/intersection, but in general deep-shoulder check 'habit' is good thing for long term. In busy cities like San Francisco, Seattle etc there are bicycle riders coming up fast on the edge of road, so you need to look for them.

Generally speaking in the first few months of riding/driving it is best to force yourself to learn the good habits. That is to give turn signals in advance, to scan intersection, shoulder check anytime changing direction. The rolling stop is not good as it creates confusion, especially when turning left.

BlkMtnRider
05-26-2011, 08:54 PM
I totally agree. What I was referring to was going straight though an intersection after stopping and shoulder checking first.
Anyways, all is good, and I recommend the prep course - at least. $100 well spent there.

bunny88
05-31-2011, 06:31 PM
I'm going to take the road test on Thursday and have a few newbie questions

1) I'm just wondering, when turning from a street that has school zone/playground zone speed limit on it to another street, is that streent still count as school zone/playground zone? Or will there be another sign to specify that this is a school/playground zone and if there isn't then I can speed up to 50kph?

2) Also, when doing a non stop left turn with a dedicated turn lane, I'll have to first shoulder check to get into the turning lane, then I scan the intersection, then do I have to shoulder check left to turn if there are no cars coming ahead?

3) And about dedicated right turn lane with a cross walk to an island, do I have to stop everytime before the cross walk or only when there are pedestrians? And do I have to stop after the cross walk before the merging evertime no matter it's red light or green light for me?

4) And about Cul-de-sacs, do I signal left when I enter and then signal right to exit?

5) For round abouts, if I want to turn right, I signal right entering and exiting.
if I want to turn left, I signal left when entering, then signal right when exiting right?
if I want to go straight, I do nothing when entering, then signal right when exiting right?

CanadianBird
05-31-2011, 09:19 PM
Here's my fatherly advice, again. Buy a bike before you take the road test while you have your novice licence. Spend a couple or so thoudand kms on your own bike then take the rode test. You'll have road and bike experience and comfort. There are some limitations with the novice but it will pay off when doing the road test, IMO. Do not touch those yellow lines!! Ever. When I re-did my class 6, ten years ago, after a few thou kms, my tester said, "I have no criticism or you riding, enjoy your bike." "Bragging" since then I've ridden 200,000 kms. Good luck to all taking their test. I did mine off Boundry road on a Harley.

forza.armata
05-31-2011, 09:23 PM
Bunny,

1) Yes, as long as you have NOT seen the 30 km/h sign on the opposite side of the street. Most of the time when you enter a school zone and turn a corner, you are still in the "zone" until you pass that 30 km/h sign on the other side of the street.

2) No. You mirror check left, put left blinker on, shoulder check left, change lanes (into turning lane) then keep blinker on and scan intersection left-right before the white line then just turn left.

3) Are you talking about a right turn yielding lane? Only stop when there are pedestrians. You MUST scan left-right before you approach the white line of the crosswalk though, and never block the crosswalk or you will fail. You are to remain behind or in front of the crosswalk depending on the situation.

4) What do you mean? A cul-de-sac is basically a dead-end street within a big circle to turn around in. I would just pull over to the right a bit and shoulder check left and basically do a big U-Turn with my left blinker on.

5) Roundabouts can be confusing. When entering the roundabout and you want to turn right, you put your right blinker on until you get through it. When going straight you put your right blinker on after entering the roundabout so you don’t confuse people into thinking you’re turning right. When going left you have to enter the roundabout with your left blinker on and leave it on until get half way though then turn your right blinker on to exit right. Confused yet? haha.

Good luck.

cba
06-01-2011, 12:16 AM
In addition to above.

3) If there is a green light for the oncoming left turner then just wait at merge point as they have right of way. If there is a dedicated right turn lane then I believe you don't have a light (red/green), you just have to make sure that no one is on crosswalk or entering cross walk. And no one is coming in the merge section of lane as other vehicles have right of way there. If all three is clear then you don't have to stop at all.

5) The easier way to look at roundabouts is maybe expand them to a much bigger size, say a radius of 1/4km. Now see how you want to use turn signals in it to indicate other drivers your intentions. No signals when entering, right turn signal just before your exit point. At entry point you have to yield to traffic already inside the roundabout.
When you have entered roundabouts think of that road as a straight road with side streets on the right.

bunny88
06-01-2011, 11:43 PM
Thanks both forza.armata and cba for the answers. I went practicing today and ran into the exact situation as 1). I was around North Ridge Elementary School Area in Surrey at 62 ave and there's a 135 st. that has no school zone sign on it if you turn from 62 ave but as you go further you'll see the sign on the opposite and that's usually when riders figure out they screwed up. I think they don't put a school zone sign because the intersection of 62 ave and 135 st is still within the school zone area (in fact the school zone sign starts just before this intersection) so it's still considered within the school zone. Thanks to forza I know how to handle these tricky spots.

Just to expand this a little, what about playground zones is it the same thing? I ran into a playground zone today, I think it's the park at 68 ave and 134 st in Surrey and the park is called Unwin Park and the playground zone speed limit sign starts almost right after 68 ave and ends right before 70b ave. There are some alleys like 68a ave and 69 ave and I turned into 69 ave but don't see the end of the playground zone speed limit sign. But I can tell I'm in a residential area and not near the park. So is the "don't go over speed limit until you see the speed limit on the opposite side" procedure only works for school zones and not playground zone?

forza.armata
06-02-2011, 12:09 AM
bunny,

Playground zones work the exact same way as School Zones, except the hours are slightly different. School Zones are active from 8am - 5pm on "school days" (meaning Monday-Friday and summer inclusive if the signs say so). The speed limits are back to normal on holidays. Be sure to ask your ICBC tester if school zones are in effect before you leave the parking lot!
Playground zones are in effect from dawn - dusk, 7 days/week.

The one thing you MUST look out for is that one school zone which you may be taken through in Surrey near Pacific Riding School. It is a 30 km/h school zone sign which has two amber lights above and below the writing which says something like "30 km/h when lights flashing". Be sure to drive the speed limit there (50 km/h) if the lights are not flashing. They flash only in the morning when school starts, at lunch and after school. If you slow to 30 km/h during the non-flashing times you will get demerits (or fail!?).

You’ll be fine. More importantly than these school zones (for failing) is going too slow in regular speed zones and not exaggerating your intersection scans and shoulder checks. Also make sure when you "deep" check right when turning right from a stop, you look back at the instructor’s vehicle so he knows for sure you are looking. In other words, turn your whole body.

Just relax and breathe :)

KrazieKleo
06-13-2011, 12:05 PM
I am eligible to do my road test tomorrow but where is the best place to do a standby?? I would hate to go to burnaby because I am not aware of the roads at all!!!! And surrey only does standbys on Monday...

mickm
06-13-2011, 01:09 PM
I am eligible to do my road test tomorrow but where is the best place to do a standby?? I would hate to go to burnaby because I am not aware of the roads at all!!!! And surrey only does standbys on Monday...

If you're confident with what you've learned and are ready to take the road test, it shouldn't matter where you take it. You'll be scanning for speed limit signs, parks, school zones, etc.

Just my 0.02c Harp. Good luck with whatever decision you make! Let me know how you do.

CanadianBird
06-13-2011, 09:58 PM
I took mine in Burnaby, and I never drive/ride there. Agree with mickm. It's your riding skill and knowledge they are testing. It should stay with you wherever you ride. imo

KrazieKleo
06-13-2011, 10:22 PM
Ah, thanks guy. And Mick I am confident about my riding. So I will be at burnaby tomorrow to do a standby. Hopefully I get in by 1pm as I work otherwise I'll have to go on Thursday lol

mickm
06-14-2011, 01:56 AM
Ah, thanks guy. And Mick I am confident about my riding. So I will be at burnaby tomorrow to do a standby. Hopefully I get in by 1pm as I work otherwise I'll have to go on Thursday lol

Great to hear Harp. I know you'll do well. Good luck!

KrazieKleo
06-20-2011, 05:08 PM
Wow, easiest test I've ever done. Clean sheet except for one very minor mistake of lane position change without shoulder checking. I didn't shoulder check unless I was turning & changing lanes. Other than that I rode ad I would normally ride.

BIG shout out to Mick M. He is an awesome teacher!!!!! If anyone needs help I'd be more than happy to help out!!!!

mickm
06-20-2011, 07:08 PM
Wow, easiest test I've ever done. Clean sheet except for one very minor mistake of lane position change without shoulder checking. I didn't shoulder check unless I was turning & changing lanes. Other than that I rode ad I would normally ride.

BIG shout out to Mick M. He is an awesome teacher!!!!! If anyone needs help I'd be more than happy to help out!!!!

Harp, thanks for accepting to my suggestions and advice. You're a solid rider. I knew you'd pass your road test! Congrats! :thumbup :)

Longo
07-14-2011, 08:17 PM
Passed my test today. First try.
Fairly easy. Ride with confidence, scan, shoulder check and keep an eye out for posted speed limits.

I lost points on my u-turn.
when the examiner ask "when its safe to do so, make a u-turn"
choose a spot where the street is wide enough. I did my u-turn in a tight spot and didn't make it.
So remember, if need be...keep riding an extra couple blocks to find a wide enough street to make the u-turn.

vexor
07-20-2011, 11:39 AM
I'm going for my test tomorrow, but right now I have a quick question when coming to a stop sign, what i'm confused about is what is the proper procedure that the tester looks for after stopping at the line? shoulder check (deep check if taking right) and then duck walk it forward to take a look for traffic or use the bikes power and clutch control to move it forward a bit?

Also I'll be taking my test in richmond, anyone have any experience with them?

jermyzy
07-20-2011, 01:56 PM
^I did my road test in Richmond 2 years ago, no problems. I don't think it really matters if you duckwalk it up or use the clutch to move it forward. I think I duckwalked it on my road test.

Gavin Johnson
07-21-2011, 07:59 AM
I did mine last week in Kelowna, shoulder check Like a motherfucker, scanned every intersection Both ways. Kept scanning both ways every 15-20 seconds or so. And look 180 Degrees when turning right so they know you're looking. Only thing I did wrong Was leave signals on too long like 6 times. He said I'm a great rider just have to watch that so Someone doesn't think you're turning and turn in front of you

Cytogen
07-21-2011, 02:48 PM
I did my road test 3 weeks ago and passed without any problems. I did screw up on the final left turn into the ICBC parking lot where hesitated and turn left with an oncoming car. I thought I had plenty of time, but apparently there was no much space margin after the turn. It could of been an automatic fail, but the tester passed me as the rest of the ride was flawless. I did my road test out in PoCo and since it was during the summer time, school zones were not in effect which was a bit easier. Shoulder check before you make any lateral moves, this includes within your lanes. Remember your dominate lane positions. Exaggerate your 180 scans before progressing from a full stop and while approaching intersections.

For those that are interested, below was my ICBC road test path.

http://maps.google.ca/maps/ms?msid=200826783579396661055.0004a76e453b5cc82657 7&msa=0

If you are a confident rider, just think of it as a normal ride.

Good luck guys and gals!

vexor
07-23-2011, 03:06 PM
I passed my class 6 on thursday in Richmond, had 2 demerits, one for going a bit too fast in a 30km/h park zone (it had 2 sets of 30km/h signs and I saw the first and also saw the end but I missed the second set) and second demerit for not witing a bit longer before taking the left turn. Other than that my test was flawless, lots of head turning, and the tips on this topic really helped A LOT, thank you to all and keep the tips coming.

canadianrider
07-23-2011, 04:09 PM
I have a couple questions,

1) when in a left hand turn lane turning left off the highway (in kelowna for example). Are you supposed to be in right or left lane position? And once you complete the turn do you go straight to right or left lane position?

2) I'm a dumbass and went to book my test a couple days ago.. the first available date was Aug 12 and when I went to book it it said that my license would be expired at the time of the test so I couldn't book it. Freaking out that I've been riding without a license I quickly checked and it expires on Aug 11th!! So now do I have to redo my written and parking lot test??

Bison
07-24-2011, 07:57 AM
You should spend some more time studying the books they supply before you try your road test. They tell you the correct position withing the actual lane. For a left turn you position your bike in the "A" portion (closest to the left part of the lane), for a right you take the "C" portion (closest to the right side). After doing your left, centre and right scans and a blind spot check in the direction you are about to turn, you enter the new roadway, riding into the appropriate position for your new lane. If you turn left from the A, you enter the new roadway and go into the A, if it is a right turn then you get back into the A position ASAP, doing an extra left blind spot check before doing so. If you make a left turn from the C position as has been suggested your examiner will mark that as an improper lane position. It sounds like you need some help with your traffic knowledge. Can you get a road ride assessment from a local riding school?

canadianrider
07-24-2011, 09:29 AM
Thanks for your responses. I couldn't find the part about lane position during turns in the ICBC book. That's the only thing I am confused about these days. I'll phone and see if they have have standby tests.
As for the road ride assessment I'm in a tight spot $$$ wise this coming up month so I figured I'd try a test first since I'm very comfertable with my riding. If that doesn't work then I will get an assessment.

Bison
07-24-2011, 09:36 AM
Thing about the RRT is that it costs you about $50. If you make it then it was a good choice. If you don't then you're out $50 plus another $50 for the next one. By the sound of thingsI believe that at least having a 1 hour assessment ride would be money well invested. Just being able to scrape by the road test does not make you a safe rider. You need to know stuff that will save your life and the instructor can tell you about it. I'm an instructor and I'm not just trying to troll for business. I know and teach the stuff that makes you a safer and skilled rider. I also know what happens when you do not know those things. The ICBC MST and road test are the minimum standards required to be out there. I strongly encourage you to learn the really important stuff as well. Good luck.

Leslie0568
07-24-2011, 10:34 AM
Thanks for your responses. I couldn't find the part about lane position during turns in the ICBC book. That's the only thing I am confused about these days. I'll phone and see if they have have standby tests.
As for the road ride assessment I'm in a tight spot $$$ wise this coming up month so I figured I'd try a test first since I'm very comfertable with my riding. If that doesn't work then I will get an assessment.

http://www.icbc.com/driver-licensing/Getting-licensed/rules_road_5.pdf
page 54.

Turning from a designated turn lane is the same as turning from a regular through lane. Turning left, turn from lane position 1, turning right turn from lane position 3.

jermyzy
07-24-2011, 10:52 AM
2) I'm a dumbass and went to book my test a couple days ago.. the first available date was Aug 12 and when I went to book it it said that my license would be expired at the time of the test so I couldn't book it. Freaking out that I've been riding without a license I quickly checked and it expires on Aug 11th!! So now do I have to redo my written and parking lot test??

Yup, you have to re-do written and parking lot test if you don't complete your class 6 before Aug 11. Like mentioned previously, try to go on stand-by

DocTaimoor
07-24-2011, 12:44 PM
I did mine a couple days back by going in at 1:20 on standby. Got lucky and got a space at ~3:45.

Did everything OK but then he said i was suppose to pull the brakes while putting the bike in first gear every time im starting from a complete stop. Never heard of this before but regardless passes. :-))

jermyzy
07-27-2011, 02:44 PM
Hey guys, my wife's road test is in a few weeks. One thing I can't remember, when coming up to a uncontrolled intersection 4-way and 3-way with no stop sign (e.g. residential street) do you clear the intersection and just go through without stopping, or can you come to a stop, clear intersection, then go?

DocTaimoor
07-27-2011, 02:47 PM
I would take a stab at this and say just slow down and if the visibility is good and you dont see any rapid approaching vehicles any side, just go through.

Leslie0568
07-27-2011, 03:14 PM
Hey guys, my wife's road test is in a few weeks. One thing I can't remember, when coming up to a uncontrolled intersection 4-way and 3-way with no stop sign (e.g. residential street) do you clear the intersection and just go through without stopping, or can you come to a stop, clear intersection, then go?

As you approach, slow down and look out for other road users. Scan the intersection from left to right. If another vehicle has arrived at the intersection before you, slow down and yield. If two vehicles arrive at the same time, the vehicle on the left must yield to the vehicle on the right.

http://www.icbc.com/driver-licensing/Getting-licensed/rules_road_5.pdf Page 45

jermyzy
07-27-2011, 05:02 PM
^Thank you! Would she get dinged if she stops first for turns? As a relatively new rider, still building up her confidence, she often stops at the intersection to ensure it is clear before making a turn (e.g. sometimes parked car, or trees partially obscure the view).

Leslie0568
07-28-2011, 12:07 AM
^Thank you! Would she get dinged if she stops first for turns? As a relatively new rider, still building up her confidence, she often stops at the intersection to ensure it is clear before making a turn (e.g. sometimes parked car, or trees partially obscure the view).

Are you talking about rolling turns ie green light or no stop sign? Your wife will definitely be dinged if she stops on a 'rolling' turn. It could even be considered a 'dangerous action' and an instant fail. Think about it, you're in a car behind a bike. The light is green and the bike has its turn signal on then out of the blue the rider stops. That's a dangerous action. Being over-cautious is a grey area with ICBC, I suppose there is a line between over-cautious being a good thing and it being dangerous but nobody really knows where the line is. What one examiner thinks is failable may be different for the next examiner.

Kwanzorr6
08-10-2011, 09:31 PM
Just passed today @ surrey location had a brown guy he was pretty nice said just ride follow the road rules and u b fine

Just follow speed limits, scan for speed limit changes, and do a lot of shoulder checks and ride with confidence

spenny
08-24-2011, 09:13 AM
So how do they want you to u-turn?

1 - Signal and pull over
2 - Scan both ways, Signal
3 - Complete U-turn?

blum81
08-24-2011, 09:18 AM
Are school zones not in effect since school is out? I have my road test today and there was conflicting answers from other guys in my group at PRS.

arise
08-24-2011, 09:48 AM
yes i would like to know also as i have mine today also!

blum81
08-24-2011, 09:53 AM
Where you taking yours?

arise
08-24-2011, 09:57 AM
burnaby

jermyzy
08-24-2011, 10:15 AM
Hi guys, my wife just passed her road test yesterday. School zones are not in effect right now (unless it says summer school on the sign). However, they did take her to TWO playground zones, which are in effect

blum81
08-24-2011, 10:40 AM
Hi guys, my wife just passed her road test yesterday. School zones are not in effect right now (unless it says summer school on the sign). However, they did take her to TWO playground zones, which are in effect

THanks Jermyzy. I have my test in a few hours in Surrey, I'll keep my eyes open for playground zones.

jermyzy
08-24-2011, 12:47 PM
Good luck!

blum81
08-24-2011, 10:54 PM
Just an update, passed my road test!!
school zones were not in effect, did the typical playground zone, round about, u-turn etc... I had Ricardo as an examiner. Nice guy, just a little hard to understand over the radio sometimes. I honestly thought I may have 'barely passed' when I got back into the PRS parking lot, but I actually only had 2 demerits. I'm just so glad it's over!!

My gf passed too. She didn't feel right on the PRS bike anymore so she used her r6 instead.

jermyzy
08-24-2011, 11:40 PM
^Congrats to you both!

blum81
08-25-2011, 07:55 AM
^Thank you for your advice. It helped clear up the school zone questions I had.

Something I thought some people should know. For those of you who are taking the test in Surrey and you get Ricardo, in one of the playground zones he asked me to pull over and do my 45 degree park, and after told me to get off the bike. At that time he asked me questions on what hazards/potential hazards I saw. Speed bumps, playground zone, obstructed view, just list out everything you can. When he says get back on the bike, REMEMBER that you're still in the playground zone. I remembered that the second I was almost going to past 30km/hr and luckily I let off the gas in time.

Anyways, both myself and my gf had this happen to us. Just giving those taking the test in Surrey a heads up.

WWPerformance
02-27-2012, 02:09 PM
I have a couple questions about the test (I'm doing it in 2 weeks):

1. When parking on the street, is proper procedure to do it like parallel parking a car? ie, pulling ahead of the car in front, and backing 45 degree into the spot? Or can I just ride in front wards, 45 degree it going forward, and then back in?

2. For creeping up in left turn lanes/stop signs/4-ways/etc. Can i keep my foot hovering off the ground when creeping up, or do I need to always put my left foot on the peg even if I'm moving less than a foot/couple feet?

Thanks.

Bison
02-27-2012, 09:16 PM
[QUOTE=WWPerformance;1612527]I have a couple questions about the test (I'm doing it in 2 weeks):

1. When parking on the street, is proper procedure to do it like parallel parking a car? ie, pulling ahead of the car in front, and backing 45 degree into the spot? Or can I just ride in front wards, 45 degree it going forward, and then back in?

[]Signal, blind spot right, stop, turn bars all the way left, blind spot left, push bike out until at 45 degrees, straighten bars, look behind both sides, walk bike back until rear wheel is about 1 foot from the curb. Remember to signal the same way you would in a car when leaving the curb after the park is over..

2. For creeping up in left turn lanes/stop signs/4-ways/etc. Can i keep my foot hovering off the ground when creeping up, or do I need to always put my left foot on the peg even if I'm moving less than a foot/couple feet?

This is not your MST, you can touch feet to ground. Keep right foot on rear brake because if you put brake foot on the ground you will grab the front brake. Left foot can be off the peg for short distances while you creep forward.

Jem
04-07-2012, 10:36 PM
It's been a while since I've taken my riding classes and been on a bike. I did get my class 6 some years ago but I'm rusty with some of the road rules on a bike. I seem to remember that you're supposed to always be in lane position 1 in a lane if you're riding by yourself and not with a group. But is that only when there's only one lane of traffic? Today I was told by someone, who's a rider in Ontario, that if you were on the highway with three lanes of traffic going in one direction, you're supposed to be in the farthest left lane and you're supposed to be in lane position 3. Is this true? I can't remember.

mcfly
04-07-2012, 11:02 PM
I was taught differently then this picture shows. Maybe it's an Alberta thing...

In this diagram I would still be in position closest to the yellow line.

BeachGirl
05-04-2012, 08:36 AM
Hey Everyone! I'm a bit of a newbie and I've finally signed up to take my road test before my license expires (and I have to do the entire process all over again)! Unfortunately I had to sign up for the road test in Langley as it was the only spot available before my license expires. I am not familiar with the roads in Langley what-so-ever so I'll probably be going there this weekend to ride around and get the feel of it there. I was just wondering if anyone has recently taken their road test in Langley and might be able to give me some ideas of where to practice riding? I've been told there will be an entrance/exit of a highway so I'm assuming this will be Hwy 1? I've been out practicing like crazy so I'm finally pretty comfortable riding :) Any other pointers or tips would be greatly appreciated!

Islesfan91
05-04-2012, 08:50 AM
Hey Everyone! I'm a bit of a newbie and I've finally signed up to take my road test before my license expires (and I have to do the entire process all over again)! Unfortunately I had to sign up for the road test in Langley as it was the only spot available before my license expires. I am not familiar with the roads in Langley what-so-ever so I'll probably be going there this weekend to ride around and get the feel of it there. I was just wondering if anyone has recently taken their road test in Langley and might be able to give me some ideas of where to practice riding? I've been told there will be an entrance/exit of a highway so I'm assuming this will be Hwy 1? I've been out practicing like crazy so I'm finally pretty comfortable riding :) Any other pointers or tips would be greatly appreciated!

I took my test in langley fairly recently (november) but I'm not at all familiar with the area and the conditions were pretty miserable so I'm not sure exactly where I was. I do remember that we went through 2 school zones, one entrance onto fraser highway (not the #1) and that I had to make sure to get my speed up to the limit quickly. Lot of stop signs, lot of turns.

The main things people fail for on the test (so I was told by my instructor during the course) are:

shoulder checks - make sure to move your head more than you normally would, the tester needs to see your head move so they know you checked, if you have a black helmet put a piece of white tape down the middle of the back of it so they can see it move easily

turn signals - do not forget to cancel your turn signal around the corner, should be done a couple of seconds after you've made your turn. Turn signals being forgotten are a big problem for most new riders, I've had to work hard to train myself to remember to cancel them.

school zones/playground zones - make sure you see the school zones and playground zones, and that you look for the back of the sign on the left side of the road so you know where the zone ends as well and get back up to speed.

speed itself - if you're riding under the speed limit too far then they will fail you. They'll ask you a few times to speed up, and if not then they'll fail you as it's unsafe. From a stop, don't pin it to get to the limit, but don't take your time either. Generally we were told to stay right near the limit, the golden rule from the course was 3km under to 3km over was the sweet spot, but don't go over the limit more than that

stalling - due to nerves and a cold bike, I stalled it twice during the test. I missed one shoulder check (they said) and that was my only problem. I believe if you stall it three times it's an automatic fail though, so make damn sure your bike is warmed up prior to starting the test. Take it for a decent ride ahead of time

jitters - I was nervous as HELL before and during the test. I hate tests of any kind and stress out. Try your hardest not to focus on your mistakes. Don't spend time worrying about the tester behind you, just ride safely and follow their instructions, if you turn a corner and lose them then keep going. At some point they'll ask you to pull over and wait, but until then, just keep going.

all I can remember right now, hope it helps

jcgirl
05-04-2012, 09:18 AM
Hi, I'm in Delta. If you want to scoot around a bit this weekend and practice just let me know. We can go ride the roads around langley.

Shandley
05-04-2012, 10:11 AM
It's a breeze. I nearly fell off my bike I was so nervous. Just know that as soon as you let the clutch out the first time, nothing else matters. Your nerves will automatically go away. Then, just ride. Follow the signs. plus or minus 3 is a good guideline but I was generally 5 over the whole way. They are in a car and can't accurately tell how fast you are going.

All roads are 50 unless otherwise specified. The signs that are LAW are in black and white. All others are suggestions (yellow with black are suggestions).

The freeway entrance was the most fun. The acceleration lane has no speed limit so I gunned it to get ahead of the testing vehicle (and match the traffic that was there). I lost them in the traffic and they told me to take the next exit. Easy AND fun!

Remember to use your back break heavily during your uturn. I used both the brakes, mostly the rear and the throttle at the same time. Works like a charm.

I went for a ride around where I was testing from but really, I never hit any roads on my real test that I did during my 'practice' run.

If I had one major piece of advice, watch for the black and white signs and follow them. That'll get you through if you know how to ride your bike.

mickm
05-04-2012, 10:39 AM

Welcome to BCSB :flip :flip :flip

Good luck with the test!

Let all the boys come out because another female has joined the riding community :)

Islesfan91
05-04-2012, 10:45 AM
Welcome to BCSB :flip :flip :flip

Good luck with the test!

Let all the boys come out because another female has joined the riding community :)

I find every post connected to a new or newer rider, makes me feel like I'm not alone as a rank beginner ;)

almost 3000km on my bike now, started in late october but I didn't go for long rides in the winter and the longest ride I've done so far was the sea to sky to squamish coming from Richmond

I'm still brand spankin new lol

BeachGirl
05-05-2012, 04:14 PM
Hi, I'm in Delta. If you want to scoot around a bit this weekend and practice just let me know. We can go ride the roads around langley.

Thanks so much jcgirl! I have a friend that has been taking me out and getting me as comfortable as possible before my road test in a couple weeks so I think I should be OK for now. We're going to head into Langley next weekend and try and hit a bunch of roads just so I feel a bit better :) I appreciate your willingness to help though!

BeachGirl
05-05-2012, 04:23 PM
I took my test in langley fairly recently (november) but I'm not at all familiar with the area and the conditions were pretty miserable so I'm not sure exactly where I was. I do remember that we went through 2 school zones, one entrance onto fraser highway (not the #1) and that I had to make sure to get my speed up to the limit quickly. Lot of stop signs, lot of turns.

The main things people fail for on the test (so I was told by my instructor during the course) are:

shoulder checks - make sure to move your head more than you normally would, the tester needs to see your head move so they know you checked, if you have a black helmet put a piece of white tape down the middle of the back of it so they can see it move easily

turn signals - do not forget to cancel your turn signal around the corner, should be done a couple of seconds after you've made your turn. Turn signals being forgotten are a big problem for most new riders, I've had to work hard to train myself to remember to cancel them.

school zones/playground zones - make sure you see the school zones and playground zones, and that you look for the back of the sign on the left side of the road so you know where the zone ends as well and get back up to speed.

speed itself - if you're riding under the speed limit too far then they will fail you. They'll ask you a few times to speed up, and if not then they'll fail you as it's unsafe. From a stop, don't pin it to get to the limit, but don't take your time either. Generally we were told to stay right near the limit, the golden rule from the course was 3km under to 3km over was the sweet spot, but don't go over the limit more than that

stalling - due to nerves and a cold bike, I stalled it twice during the test. I missed one shoulder check (they said) and that was my only problem. I believe if you stall it three times it's an automatic fail though, so make damn sure your bike is warmed up prior to starting the test. Take it for a decent ride ahead of time

jitters - I was nervous as HELL before and during the test. I hate tests of any kind and stress out. Try your hardest not to focus on your mistakes. Don't spend time worrying about the tester behind you, just ride safely and follow their instructions, if you turn a corner and lose them then keep going. At some point they'll ask you to pull over and wait, but until then, just keep going.

all I can remember right now, hope it helps

Thanks a lot for the information and all of the tips! It will definitely help me and have me thinking about everything! I've been trying to practice keeping my head on a swivel and over exaggerating all of my scanning/shoulder checks etc as I've been told it's hard for them to see if you're actually doing it with a helmet on...it just feels so weird haha. Luckily I haven't stalled while out riding yet so I should be OK...as long as I don't get too nervous and forget to start in 1st gear or something stupid! Good to know it was the Fraser Highway you went on and not Hwy 1. I will be heading out to Langley next weekend to practice so I will do some on/offs of Fraser Highway! Thanks for all the info, I appreciate it!

SexualParasment
05-05-2012, 05:21 PM
On my test, I turned the wrong way...twice. but still passed, if you do something minor like this,don't worry bout it. Keep on riding, your good habits and practice should take over. gl

Jonny Quest
05-06-2012, 10:48 PM
Just remember that it's the FIFTH infraction in each section that fails you. You can screw up a lot and still pass. Just focus on the things that are an auto fail. Things like not canceling your signal, speeding in a playground zone, rolling through a stop sign, turning right on a red light when marked no right turns on red light, failing to follow directions such as turning left when told right etc. if you screw up just shake it off and keep going.

I took the test in Langley and they have a few "tricks". There's a no right turn on red near the DMV. There's a school zone and playground zone that overlap. They'll also get you to turn into the middle of a playground zone, you have to watch for signs at intersections. If you're observant you'll catch them all.

Good luck

Skyway6
05-08-2012, 09:38 AM
Just ride like you would normally ride and forget about the testers. Follow the rules, obey the signs and it easy.
I have to take a road test (again) for my 3rd time. First - class 8L to class 8N
Second - class 8N to class 6
Third - Class 6L to class 6 - yes i current have 2 class 6 licenses. 1-class 6, restriction 24 (scooters)
and 2 - 6L motorcycle. so have to take test 3 to remove restriction 24.

taking the test in Coquitlam this time. (June 01) Usually take it in Burnaby but earliest date i could get was June 25

As for being nervous b4 the test. Once i get going i am ok. i like to think of a scene from the movie "The Last Samurai"

Nobutada: [after Algren is defeated in fencing practice] Please forgive; too many mind.
Algren: [puzzled] "Too many mind?"
Nobutada: Hai, mind the sword, mind the people watch, mind enemy - -too many mind.
[seriously]
Nobutada: No mind.
Algren: [pretending getting it] No mind.

Do not know PoCo all that well so it should be interesting. Cant think of a highway near there. Mary Hill Bypass maybe?

mickm
05-08-2012, 12:32 PM
I find every post connected to a new or newer rider, makes me feel like I'm not alone as a rank beginner ;)

almost 3000km on my bike now, started in late october but I didn't go for long rides in the winter and the longest ride I've done so far was the sea to sky to squamish coming from Richmond

I'm still brand spankin new lol

I learn something new everyday I ride.

@BeachGirl: not sure if this is still applicable to today's road test but when I did mine, I tapped on my helmet whenever the tester asked me to do something and I didn't want to. lol. Tapping the helmet meant, I didn't understand the radio communication that was being sent to me.

Do they provide in ear pieces now?

bainstang
05-08-2012, 03:55 PM
Anyone taken the road test in Richmond? Thought it was weird how every where else was booked for weeks but Richmond had many openings. I go tomorrow morning for it. Wish me luck.

Islesfan91
05-08-2012, 04:24 PM
Just keep an eye out for your road obstacles, the rest of the drivers lol. What time are you scheduled for in Richmond? If you need someone to ride with you there in the morning let me know, I have the day booked off but heading out for the Harrison ride if infuria can fix up his taillight in time.
Anyone taken the road test in Richmond? Thought it was weird how every where else was booked for weeks but Richmond had many openings. I go tomorrow morning for it. Wish me luck.

bainstang
05-08-2012, 05:34 PM
Just keep an eye out for your road obstacles, the rest of the drivers lol. What time are you scheduled for in Richmond? If you need someone to ride with you there in the morning let me know, I have the day booked off but heading out for the Harrison ride if infuria can fix up his taillight in time.

LOL! Its at 9:30. Im pretty sure I'm good to go, should be e-z peezy. Just hope no one cuts me off or almost kills me

racerboy88
05-08-2012, 09:32 PM
You should be good anytime before 11am. Traffic gets heavier after that.

Lokheed
05-20-2012, 01:08 PM

Yeah. I did mine there about a month ago. A nightmare. I would never do it again if I had to in that place. I booked it for Thursday (they don't do Friday) at 3:30pm. I figured I'd book the test so close the weekend so the guy was in a good mood ;)

Got the nicest guy ever. But man, he nailed me so many times for not mirror checking and a lot of late positioning. But they took me through that whole hornets nest behind Aberdeen Centre and Lansdowne. Jesus. I felt like a bobble head because many of the roads go from one lane to two lane and then back. It was just awful. Raining too to boot. Worst experience ever. Had a guy on a side street, without a signal, cut right in front of me to pull into a drive way... I though, "really buddy?" So RPMs dropped and I stalled the bike. Heard the chick driving the test car say, "what the hell was that?" But I fired it up and just rode on. Didn't even flinch on the bike, which is why I think he passed me. I'm like a surgeon on my CBR. But then I have about 22,000 km on the thing and used to do figure eights and donuts for hours a day in parking lots to master it, so you know. Good thing too because he had me do two u-turns into the tightest roads possible. I'm surprised I did them so well considering the tension and stress! And I think that's why he passed me despite the violations in lane positioning and even the stall. If I was wobbly and couldn't control the bike, I'd be a straight up danger. Stupid things like shoulder checking before a lane position change I don't think is their concern so much as being able to control the bike and driving without committing a serious traffic violation.

But I'm sure if I got a dick, he would have failed me for sure.

Knuckles
09-30-2012, 07:10 PM
We need to slow down for train tracks? What should our speed be for the train tracks? what if the train tracks are in the middle of a busy street. They surely dont expect us to slow down to 30 or something in the middle of traffic for that?

peazs
09-30-2012, 08:04 PM
We need to slow down for train tracks? What should our speed be for the train tracks? what if the train tracks are in the middle of a busy street. They surely dont expect us to slow down to 30 or something in the middle of traffic for that?

Yes, just brake a little as you approach the train tracks and scan left and right before you pass through it as if it was an intersection.

PoCoRider
10-01-2012, 12:26 PM
Yes, just brake a little as you approach the train tracks and scan left and right before you pass through it as if it was an intersection.

Pretty much this. Always try to approach the tracks as perpendicular as you can for the best angle, and definitely slow down. Plus going over tracks at speed can cause you to lose some traction.

Knuckles
10-01-2012, 12:37 PM
Ok thanks

DaMann
10-01-2012, 02:54 PM
Have my test next week as well. Couple silly questions.

What is the official way of doing a proper Uturn? Examiner says ok do a uturn when safe. So the best method is to? Pull to the right to give myself room, stop, mirror check, signal, shoulder check then proceed to do the uturn. Or is this done from a roll?

Other one is parking. They ask me to pull over and park. So mirror checks, signal right, shoulder check, pull in next to the curb parallel, Wheel all the way left ( signal?), pull it out a bit until 45 degree, back in with tire up against the curb. I know how to park but want to know what THEY expect.

Thanks, bloody hell after driving for 23 years I feel like I'm 16 again doing my test! Probably learned many bad habits too!

PoCoRider
10-01-2012, 03:42 PM

What is the official way of doing a proper Uturn? Examiner says ok do a uturn when safe. So the best method is to? Pull to the right to give myself room, stop, mirror check, signal, shoulder check then proceed to do the uturn. Or is this done from a roll?

In regards to the U-turn, it's from a stop. They have you pull over, and then say "when safe, pull a u turn" at which points you turn your signal on, check your mirror, shoulder check, , and start your turn from a stop.

It's one of the more stressful parts of the test, but is really simple. Just make sure you keep your head turned fully and go light on the throttle

DaMann
10-01-2012, 03:57 PM
Thank you!

peazs
10-01-2012, 08:38 PM

Other one is parking. They ask me to pull over and park. So mirror checks, signal right, shoulder check, pull in next to the curb parallel, Wheel all the way left ( signal?), pull it out a bit until 45 degree, back in with tire up against the curb. I know how to park but want to know what THEY expect.

Thanks, bloody hell after driving for 23 years I feel like I'm 16 again doing my test! Probably learned many bad habits too!

Parking:
- Signal right, shoulder check right for cyclists, go along curb lane and stop. Turn off signal.
- Signal left, shoulder check left, duck walk the bike so it's approx. at a 45 degree angle. Stop.
- Signal is still left on. Shoulder check left and right to ensure there's nothing/no one behind you and then proceed to duck walk backwards. At this time, you may want to turn your steering so it's closer to the 45 degree angle as well. Back up until you hit the curb. Turn off signal. Turn off bike.

U-Turn:
- Signal right, shoulder check right for cyclists, go along curb lane and stop. Turn off signal.
- Signal left, shoulder check left, proceed forward just a tad to gain balance and then turn the steering left (may want to ride the clutch as you will be going slow). Since it is such a slow speed, you will be turning the handle bars to the left rather than counter-steering. If you put your foot down or hit the curb on the other side, you get docked marks. Try to also look left while you do the turn. Turn off signal once straightened out.

Good luck!

Knuckles
10-01-2012, 09:53 PM
neutral or clutch pulled in?
Thanks!

Knuckles
10-01-2012, 11:30 PM
So RPMs dropped and I stalled the bike. Heard the chick driving the test car say, "what the hell was that?" But I fired it up and just rode on. Didn't even flinch on the bike,

LOL, haha smooth.

peazs
10-02-2012, 01:55 AM
neutral or clutch pulled in?
Thanks!

What's this regarding?

Knuckles
10-02-2012, 07:32 AM
What's this regarding?

reversing for parking

mdnitro
10-02-2012, 08:35 AM
No harm to "over exaggerate scan" left and right just before major cross roads and or intersections. Also, do not panic even if it start to rain, adjust your speed accordingly. Remember, city/hwy speed set limit are for ideal weather cond. Good luck,

DaMann
10-02-2012, 09:02 AM
Thanks for all the great responses so far!

ok I copied this response from peasz in another thread to one of my questions. I will post it here as this is the correct thread for it. I had asked when stopping at a stop sign or to go straight or right hand turn, where exactly to stop.

This was the response from peasz
"2.Stop before the white line. If no white line, stop before the sidewalk to be safe and inch out of needed. If you cannot see after stopping for a right or going straight, do your shoulder checks and then inch out forward a bit. Before turning right, do another deep cyclist check to the right before scanning left and then turning right. Don't be afraid to scan again to be certain there's no one besides you or coming up beside you after you inch out a bit before proceeding."

Ok this all seems straight forward but coming into work today I was a little confused about one thing. I'm coming up to an intersection and I stop at the red light to make a right hand turn. I stop before the white line. Now at this point I can't see traffic coming cause of parked cars or just too far back. Now the proper thing to do is to inch forward until I can see. BUT. I was told DO NOT BLOCK THE CROSS WALK ( which is the white lines at the intersection). At almost any intersection it is IMPOSSIBLE to inch forward past the cross walk ( so I don't block it) and not already be in the lane with traffic coming from my left. So how am I expected to stop at the white line, then inch forward so I can see but not stop in the white lines ( cross walk). It can't be done. If I go past the white lines so I don't block it I am virtually now in the lane with traffic coming. Anyone care to shed light on this?
Normally I would just stop at the white line, inch forward until I can see to my left oncoming traffic, deep shoulder check to the right, check left again and go. But in doing that I am essentially inching forward and sort of stopping in the cross walk.

PoCoRider
10-02-2012, 12:56 PM
My understanding of "blocking the crosswalk" implies people are using it. If there is no one waiting to cross, or is currently in the crosswalk, then you are not blocking.

Stop at the red light, move up until you can see, scan, shoulder check (make it obvious), scan one more and go.

In regards to your prior post about parking - personally I just hold the clutch in as I'm backing up. Makes it easier to fix it quickly if needed as well.

DaMann
10-02-2012, 01:12 PM
Ok thank you! I knew there had to be a caveat to the blocking the cross walk thing. Thanks again for everyone's input!

peazs
10-03-2012, 12:13 AM
reversing for parking

Hold the clutch rather than neutral in case you need to suddenly gas out of an emergency situation.

peazs
10-03-2012, 12:18 AM
Normally I would just stop at the white line, inch forward until I can see to my left oncoming traffic, deep shoulder check to the right, check left again and go. But in doing that I am essentially inching forward and sort of stopping in the cross walk.

If the crosswalk is clear without any pedestrians then you are allowed to go over it. I also quoted the above just to remind you to do your shoulder checks before inching forward as well. :) Basically, shoulder check before any movement after a stop.

DaMann
10-03-2012, 08:27 AM
If the crosswalk is clear without any pedestrians then you are allowed to go over it. I also quoted the above just to remind you to do your shoulder checks before inching forward as well. :) Basically, shoulder check before any movement after a stop.

Thanks for the tip!

DaMann
10-11-2012, 02:40 PM
So I failed my Richmond road test. Pissed me off. I rode perfectly, last 2 minutes to go he took me into an odd area and stupid my went to he right of a median and went into the bus loop where they park buses just off Russ Baker Way rather than going just to the right of it. It was on Cesna drive. If they are not trying to trick you as they say, why take people down routes like that. No idea how or why I did that. Examiner was nice he said " I can't believe that happened right at the end of the test, I had nothing to comment on your riding" He showed me the sheet, it was blank except for the violation of going into a bus zone ( not a bus lane). Shit now they are not booking till November. Oh well, at least I know the test is easy and I can ride and do all the right things, just don't be a bone head and make a stupid mistake.

Islesfan91
10-11-2012, 03:08 PM
So I failed my Richmond road test. Pissed me off. I rode perfectly, last 2 minutes to go he took me into an odd area and stupid my went to he right of a median and went into the bus loop where they park buses just off Russ Baker Way rather than going just to the right of it. It was on Cesna drive. If they are not trying to trick you as they say, why take people down routes like that. No idea how or why I did that. Examiner was nice he said " I can't believe that happened right at the end of the test, I had nothing to comment on your riding" He showed me the sheet, it was blank except for the violation of going into a bus zone ( not a bus lane). Shit now they are not booking till November. Oh well, at least I know the test is easy and I can ride and do all the right things, just don't be a bone head and make a stupid mistake.

shit, that spot right in front of the hotel? That sucks, especially with being almost done and having no demerits.

On the plus side, at least you've taken it and know what to expect. (after the fact) I thought it was funny how nervous I was prior to my road test. End result is that is unfortunate but if they take you that way again (and likely will) then you'll know what to expect and be able to avoid making the same mistake.

DaMann
10-11-2012, 03:52 PM
Yup exactly, right in front of the hotel there. Oh well. I'm booked in for November 28th. Bloody hell I hope it won't be snowing! At least I know I can ride fine for the tester, just don't do something stupid.

Islesfan91
10-11-2012, 04:07 PM
I took my road test the first week of November with pissing rain and it was dark and at the start of rush hour. My only advice would be dress warmly and be prepared for the rain. It's miserable with the added stress of the road test but once it's done its done and you can put that stage behind you.
Yup exactly, right in front of the hotel there. Oh well. I'm booked in for November 28th. Bloody hell I hope it won't be snowing! At least I know I can ride fine for the tester, just don't do something stupid.

bluebryan
10-12-2012, 01:09 AM
Bummer luck! I've done that same thing in my cage...

DaMann
10-12-2012, 09:59 AM
Bummer luck! I've done that same thing in my cage...

Thanks, I don't feel so bad now!

Islesfan91
10-12-2012, 10:46 AM
Thanks, I don't feel so bad now!

I don't think it's anything to feel bad about, shit happens. I know how tense I was for my road test on the bike, I almost blew mine as well, but saw the school zone sign just as I was about to shift and get up to 50. I didn't know Langley, it was raining and very tough to see and it was dark last November, and with my nerves I was thinking about everything and almost missed the sign. Mistakes happen. A guy I work with on the island had his clutch cable snap halfway through the test, had to leave the bike behind and redo the test despite being almost done and having no problems.

Lokheed
10-13-2012, 01:14 PM
I took my road test the first week of November with pissing rain and it was dark and at the start of rush hour. My only advice would be dress warmly and be prepared for the rain. It's miserable with the added stress of the road test but once it's done its done and you can put that stage behind you.

Took mine in the rain too. Early May this year. You know that mist rain that doesn't actually stream down your visor (which fogged up so bad I just couldn't see a thing). Yeah. So it was either flip it up and squint the entire way or go blind. I did the former. Also during rush hour, in Richmond.

Funny thing was that on a turn, I had my front end slide out on me and move about 2 feet to the right. He marked me down for that. Super cool guy though, but still, I'm not sure what can be done about something like that.

In retrospect, I would never advise anyone to take it in Richmond. Just the worst place to ride, especially if they take you through Lansdowne!

StormFighter
10-14-2012, 10:41 AM
Be comfortable on your bike dudes! if you own a bike prior to taking the test, go ride it for 2 hours first, get really warmed up, just do big loops around the area's they might take you, remember the signs and speed limits.
Remember to fill up on gas too.

bluebryan
10-28-2012, 01:45 PM
Took my road test Friday - no highway (too busy and slow) and after awhile tester heads us back to the ICBC lot - no U-turn, no parking and discussing hazards - I thought I must have blown a school zone or something - nope! I passed without having to do all the usual stuff...I guess I got a break from the tester :)

Islesfan91
10-28-2012, 02:16 PM
Took my road test Friday - no highway (too busy and slow) and after awhile tester heads us back to the ICBC lot - no U-turn, no parking and discussing hazards - I thought I must have blown a school zone or something - nope! I passed without having to do all the usual stuff...I guess I got a break from the tester :)

Congrats man

Knuckles
10-28-2012, 04:55 PM

Nice, now the question is what bike to buy.

5ive-spd
10-28-2012, 05:12 PM
Going for my full license tomorrow in Surrey. Just finished a little ride session to refresh my memory from all this rain recently.

I hope it stays dry during my test.

bluebryan
10-28-2012, 07:57 PM
@Islefan and Knuckles - thanks guys!
I've been back and forth on what to get because there has been lots of advice to avoid the 600s (and up) until I get more experience... but, I'm 6'2" so the 250s don't fit so good. I'm also a "mature rider" so I'm thinking the SV650.

Thoughts?

5ive-spd: GL tomorrow, the main thing I think is just to remain calm and vigilent...

5ive-spd
10-29-2012, 11:55 PM
Passed! I was lucky enough to have the rain stop for my test which was a big relief for me.

I thought I had totally failed when I crossed over a white solid line to take a left turn. But I also missed a shoulder check and I may have been going a bit slower on some parts. Apparently I had the most strict examiner at Surrey ICBC, according to someone at PRS and I still passed which makes me feel even better.

markskyline
06-05-2013, 12:46 AM
Passed my class6 road test today! Took it in Richmond and thought it was fairly straight forward. Mostly busy streets and some smaller ones with schools and playgrounds. U turn street wasn't too difficult even with my zx6r. Just ride with confidence and always remember to shoulder check and scan.

Thanks to all who have contributed on this thread. It was a lot of help and made me more aware of what the test would be like. I read all 43 pages a number of times.

Took my first legit night ride tonight. So awesome.

Safe riding!

Stewy
06-05-2013, 08:23 AM
Congrats on passing your Class 6. Ride safe.

ripped035
06-05-2013, 12:58 PM
Is the class 6 roadtest the same as the class 8N??

steven
06-05-2013, 05:21 PM
Is the class 6 roadtest the same as the class 8N??

Nope.

http://www.icbc.com/driver-licensing/getting-licensed/motorcycle-licence/motorcycle-first

Alonzo
06-06-2013, 08:22 AM
Class 6 6L = Class 8L 8N

all 4 allow you to ride a motorcycle with different restrictions. Class 8 is just the graduated license program for the class 6
The actual road test for the Class 6,8L, 8N is the same. Everything you would do on the class 6 test you would have to do for
the class 8n test.

CBR
06-13-2013, 12:51 AM
All very good pointers

ripped035
06-13-2013, 09:37 PM
Just passed today, it was a 8N roadtest. Basically the same as the class 6 but without highway. Since I'm in the GLP and got my car N last year, I won't have to wait 2 years for the full motorcycle license. They told me that next year whether I do my bike or car roadtest, it will automatically upgrade the other one as well :rockon . Btw, I read here somewhere that you shouldn't let your left foot hover when creeping up, I asked the examiner before hand and he said it is fine to hover your left foot if you are creeping up, ask your examiner beforehand just in case.

cvrle1
03-19-2014, 02:02 PM
Found this very useful before I took class 6 test. Bump for new season