: ICBC case settlement.......need help

REVELATIONS
07-15-2003, 04:24 PM
Last year I got hit by a car while riding the bike, did some damage to my leg and hand.

Thus far, I have had a very good experience with my adjuster. He seems professional and reasonable.
I have consulted a lawyer but have not actually retained council.

I got an email from my adjustor recently regarding the final hearing settlement which should take place soon.

Now I have researched many cases similar to mine and what they have fetched from ICBC.

-Should I ask for an amount beforehand or should I just wait until the hearing?
-How have you others faired without a lawyer?
-Any other suggestions about the final hearing?

fz1
07-15-2003, 04:54 PM
Ask them what they're planning to give you. Run that number by a lawyer who specializes in ICBC settlements. If the numbers are close and you've suffered no permanent damage, then accept.

Unfortunately, speaking from personal experience, I was lied to by an adjuster right from the start. As a result I retained a lawyer and sued. At trial, the judge reamed out the lawyer representing ICBC for their behaviour. What should have been a $300 medical bill, turned into a several thousand dollars payout.

Maybe mine was just one isolated incident so this is not meant to slam ICBC employees who actually care and are trying their best to do the right thing for their clients.

DNAspark99
07-15-2003, 04:57 PM
there are no ICBC employees who actually care.
I rave about the evils of their corporation and they all just shrug, saying "we know, but it's a paycheck"

I sincerely can not wait to see the downfall of this evil corporation.

CG
07-15-2003, 05:25 PM
might be wise to get advice from a lawyer.

i've been lied to and taken advantage of by icbc before.

2wheelbandit
07-15-2003, 07:18 PM
Just so you know ICBC adjusters are allowed to lie to you. They are under no obligation to tell you the truth and can lie about whatever they want.
Also with a injury claim like yours, your adjuster sets a price that he thinks is reasonable for a settlement. Out of that figure you will probably get 1/3 of it. Since ICBC always has to have the money in the bank to settle every claim TODAY, that figure is marked as a withdrawal you could say. So when u get paid out 1/3 of the sum icbc thinks you should get, the rest of that 2/3 goes into a pot which the adjustors all share in their paycheques.

Makes you feel all warm and fuzzy knowing the less they pay you the more money goes into their pockets.

Down with icbc!!!!

Elegant Angel
07-15-2003, 08:33 PM
I was in a similar accident last fall. I havent setteled yet either, but I'm definately going to talk to a lawyer and find out what they think is a fair settelment before I deal with ICBC.

Let them start the negotiations, because they will probubly low ball u at first. but just in case they r going to offer u more than u though it's probubly better to let them make the first offer.

Vertigo
07-15-2003, 09:32 PM
it all depends on your adjuster. one friend got 3 times what she was going to ask for (no permanent injuries). another friend got less than 1/8 of what he shouldve received (died 3 times on the operating table, in a coma, bad long term injuries, ranked as icbc's 3rd worst accident that year).

AliMouse
07-16-2003, 11:31 AM
where did you go to find the amount they give to similar cases?

REVELATIONS
07-16-2003, 12:02 PM
The Vancouver public library has an archive of ICBC court cases, located on the 5th floor if I recall (History).

They are reference only and are available by quering the historian (librarian).

3 thick binders worth, categorized by injury type (leg/head etc.).