: importing parts to Canada?

toomuchgsxr
05-05-2005, 03:18 PM
Im importing a steering column from the states to Canada.

Using FED EX. What delays if any should I expect at customs? Any tax? Its a used part.

I bought a pipe off ebay from Portland and it was here in a week...dont remember having to do or pay anything.

Anyone have experience with this?

mosquito
05-05-2005, 03:55 PM
using a courier to import is not a good idea. You are looking at both taxes unless you are buying it though a company. Also you will have to pay brokerage fees and may have to pick it up from the border. best thing to do is ship it post to blaine and go get it.

FOXGURL
05-05-2005, 04:13 PM
i just use regualr mail....

vhenem
05-05-2005, 05:45 PM
FYI, There is no duty on Car parts, and according to Canada Customs this afternoon, no duty on motorcycle parts from the US regardless where they were manufactured

I always got my parts sent parcel post if they could, a steering columnn may be pushing it size wise though

mosquito
05-05-2005, 05:59 PM
FYI, There is no duty on Car parts, and according to Canada Customs this afternoon, no duty on motorcycle parts regardless of origin.

I always got my parts sent parcel post if they could, a steering columnn may be pushing it size wise though

I disagree with this when i bring in sato stuff from japan they get me for 18%

Same with arai helmets

vhenem
05-05-2005, 06:51 PM
I disagree with this when i bring in sato stuff from japan they get me for 18%

Same with arai helmets

Hmmm I'll edit my post to say motorcycle parts from the US then, as that was the subject of my inquiry to Customs.

mosquito
05-05-2005, 06:58 PM
Hmmm I'll edit my post to say motorcycle parts from the US then, as that was the subject of my inquiry to Customs.

I bring these parts that are manufactured in japan from the states into canada

Jayson
05-05-2005, 07:14 PM
i do regular post as well. been pretty reliable

vhenem
05-05-2005, 10:35 PM
I bring these parts that are manufactured in japan from the states into canada

Hmmmm, I need to get some parts for my Interceptor that are manufactured in Japan, from a distributor in the States, I'll phone again Friday morning and double check, but I was told that there was no duty. Do you just bring in accessories, such as helmets etc ?

Spike
05-06-2005, 10:11 AM
using a courier to import is not a good idea. You are looking at both taxes unless you are buying it though a company. Also you will have to pay brokerage fees and may have to pick it up from the border. best thing to do is ship it post to blaine and go get it.
If it's crossing the border from US into Canada, there's PST and GST on it unless you can show it's been paid already (like, you sent a part to the US for repair, and are just getting it back afterwards). If it's a part that hasn't had PST/GST paid on it yet in Canada, or if you can't prove it, then it's payable.

toomuchgsxr
05-06-2005, 10:44 AM
On my pipe..I just picked it up at the post office. No PST or GST..

What I paid on Ebay is what was charged...weird..

Bondo
05-06-2005, 10:54 AM
DO NOT USE UPS

if you ship via UPS from teh US to Canada they rape you Like 80$ brokerage fee's.

Like has been said before Ship it to Blaine / Point Roberts

I use a Place in Point Roberts

Letter Carrier
145 Tyee Drive, Point Roberts, WA 98281
(360) 945-0515

They will accept packages for you for a 2$ charge when you pick it up.

Then it's up to you if you wanna claim it w/Customs ;)

bigturk
05-06-2005, 11:49 AM
When dealing with anything government related... ask 10 people the same questions and you'll get 10 diff. answers. Even worst, when you're not there to defend, they'll do as they please, I brought up my RR from the US, and when crossing the border, one dude said I had to pay 6% duty (on top of the 7% GST) and the next guy said I didn't... it works the same with all products... you do? you don't? no one knows???? Check out the "Customs Tariff 2005" doc. it's about 1800 pages that goes into all products being imported (on Canada's.gov site) . Chances are you won't and neither did the employess....

bafflebrain
05-06-2005, 01:59 PM
On my pipe..I just picked it up at the post office. No PST or GST..

What I paid on Ebay is what was charged...weird..

Sometime you get the GST and PST invoice afterward.

toomuchgsxr
05-06-2005, 03:08 PM
it was $200 bucks US..thats what I paid..that was 2 years ago. It makes no sense.
But it was by mail...using UPS Im sure ill get dinged..

So my understaing is duty at 6-18% and GST at 7% and Brokerage fees at $80.

This is getting to be an expensive part.

GeminiGirlII
05-06-2005, 03:29 PM
it was $200 bucks US..thats what I paid..that was 2 years ago. It makes no sense.
But it was by mail...using UPS Im sure ill get dinged..

So my understaing is duty at 6-18% and GST at 7% and Brokerage fees at $80.

This is getting to be an expensive part.

I ordered rims for my car from a company in Florida about 3 weeks ago. The rims were originally from China. The company in Florida ONLY shipped UPS. This is what I paid....

cost of the rims and shipping (payable to the company up front)
6% Duty (because they were from China)
GST and PST on the total of rims plus duty.
$68 for customs paperwork (duty, taxes and customs payable to UPS upon delivery)

All in all, I'm glad even with all the hassel. They are sweet ass rims and chances are slim to none that anyone will have them! :thumbup

mosquito
05-06-2005, 05:08 PM
I ordered rims for my car from a company in Florida about 3 weeks ago. The rims were originally from China. The company in Florida ONLY shipped UPS. This is what I paid....

cost of the rims and shipping (payable to the company up front)
6% Duty (because they were from China)
GST and PST on the total of rims plus duty.
$68 for customs paperwork (duty, taxes and customs payable to UPS upon delivery)

All in all, I'm glad even with all the hassel. They are sweet ass rims and chances are slim to none that anyone will have them! :thumbup

Where you been stranger? Come say hello at the track this weekend :evilgrin