: RCMP recruiting process.

Reg
01-05-2006, 09:47 PM
Recruiting,
Anyone have been there?
What did you think about it?
Any of you got through and is now a member ?
If so, how do you like your job ?
What about the recruiting, do you think all the steps are justefied ?
What do you think of Depot ?

tx for anwsering.

Remy
01-05-2006, 09:48 PM
i want to know basically the same thing..

just with local cops though, i dont want to be rcmp

Jester666
01-05-2006, 09:53 PM
Recruiting,
Anyone have been there?

tx for anwsering.

I think all the steps are justified for sure.
The only concern I have is that the recruteers *may* be a bit 'old school' as in, a bit conservative.
other than that, I was a bit stressed when they told us they were going to be using a polygraph at the interview, but that was not implemented yet, perhaps it is now, I don't know..
I actually thought the physical requirements were a bit on a low side.

I went through the whole process, but my eyesite disqualified me.
I was told I'd need to get the laser surgery done to go to Regina..
Since my eyes are still changing, I chose to wait a couple more years, untill my eyes stabilise.

Desperado
01-05-2006, 09:55 PM
same here i was disqualified because of my eyesight. Unfortunately I cannot get laser surgery for another couple years.

Jester666
01-05-2006, 10:05 PM
The aptitude test seems to be pretty good.
Before the test me and a friend talked to some people waiting, and y'know how some people just don't seem RIGHT for it, or want to get into it for wrong reasons alltogether?
I know for a fact that at least a couple of those got weeded out right there on the first step...

bre
01-05-2006, 10:26 PM
i want to know basically the same thing..

just with local cops though, i dont want to be rcmp

Er, no offense, but you should work on those 'engrish' skills quite a bit before you really consider this option. Lots of reports need to be written, and legible.

flyfishinwoman
01-05-2006, 10:39 PM
My friend went through the VPD stuff, and they use a polygraph machine, for your info.

Another friend just graduated from depot this summer, she said that it was very "old boy's network" and prejudiced, but if you're not a female then it won't affect you. Her recruitment process was quite lengthy (even though she was a RCMP Reservist for years), and they lost her fingerprints not once, but twice!!

Both the RCMP and municipal police forces recruitment process is quite comprehensive and lengthy. They interview your friends, neighbors, etc. and try to look for character weaknesses. Good luck with the process, it'll seem to take forever. Just be honest to a fault, because if you aren't, they will probably find that out.

kamen rider
01-05-2006, 10:51 PM
Take the fitness training to prep and volunteer for the Crisis Center and Community Policing. I know a few people who passed everything except the interview... my ex-gf included. She has been deferred for another year so we believe the RCMP is just seeing if she's truly serious and dedicated to her goal. From what I know, a detailed file is maintained on applicants throughout their whole process all the way to the interviews.

Remy, the fitness requirements are tougher for the VPD, if that's what you're interested in.

REVELATIONS
01-05-2006, 11:39 PM
If you want to be a cop, volunteer as one. The RCMP has the Auxiliary and the VPD does who knows what.

In about 2 days you should know whether its for you or not.

doug
01-06-2006, 12:02 AM
there is no auxiliary any more. was done away with in 1999, pretty much across canada by the looks of it.

REVELATIONS
01-06-2006, 12:11 AM
Done away with? Not quite.
The force is strong Luke, one day we might be getting guns again... (not that its the reason I joined)....

Every force has volunteer opportunities of some sort, whether its being at a community station to helping file paperwork.

alternateimpact
01-06-2006, 12:41 AM
My buddy went throught depot training and is now at the Surrey/Whalley detachment. I had to be one of his references, and believe me they are very thourough! training was hard I am sure, but being away from his wife and baby son for 5-6 months was even harder. I dont understand why they dont just have training depots in each province.

doug
01-06-2006, 12:51 AM
Done away with? Not quite.
The force is strong Luke, one day we might be getting guns again... (not that its the reason I joined)....

Every force has volunteer opportunities of some sort, whether its being at a community station to helping file paperwork.

vpd for sure has no auxiliary any more. i guess you could say they were replaced with the traffic authority, but it's nowhere near the same.

trying to find the link to the info. i posted it in one of the handgun threads and now i can't find it.

and here it is. http://www.city.vancouver.bc.ca/police/recruiting/faq.htm#12.

REVELATIONS
01-06-2006, 01:09 AM
One thing that I dont quite understand with the RCMP is that the rate of pay for a regular constable is constant throught Canada. So if you came to the BUrnaby detachment, youd end u p living in a cardboard box as compared to, say, Nelson where you could buy a 3 brdm house.

justice
01-06-2006, 02:44 AM
All new recruits will now be taking a polygraph test when applying with the RCMP.

As far as the job goes, it depends on the individual. Best advise is to join the Auxilary program. That way you can get a taste for what the job is really all about.
I love it. I look forward to going to work in the morning. Actually, I have just as much fun at work as I do on my days off. So, I'm not sure if I would really call it work. :thumbup

Quasi
01-06-2006, 07:51 AM
One thing that I dont quite understand with the RCMP is that the rate of pay for a regular constable is constant throught Canada. So if you came to the BUrnaby detachment, youd end u p living in a cardboard box as compared to, say, Nelson where you could buy a 3 brdm house.

One of the reasons that some people use the RCMP to get a few years experience in policing then quit and join a municiple force. They don't have to move for promotions and get more money right off the bat.

Pvt. BLOGGINS
01-06-2006, 08:09 AM
Recruiting,
Anyone have been there?

tx for anwsering.

1) The process is long
2) They do a thorough job
3) The process is long
4) The steps are very justified, aptitude test, application, interview, polygraph, background (talk to everyone, neighbours, teachers, friends, family)
5) Depot is a blast!!
6) the job is incredible
7) is it worth it?? No doubt in my mind!

Pvt. BLOGGINS
01-06-2006, 08:12 AM
One of the reasons that some people use the RCMP to get a few years experience in policing then quit and join a municiple force. They don't have to move for promotions and get more money right off the bat.

Policing is a highly competitive job, as a result you are almost assured of being able to go anywhere you desire.

The RCMP salary is very good right now, and I would rather serve my country then just my community....

Besides I choose to wear my yellow stripe on my leg, not on my back......... Kidding...

PressurePoint
01-06-2006, 10:22 AM
Recruiting,
Anyone have been there?

tx for anwsering.

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/recruiting/regular_member_e.htm
find everything you need. Im going through the process right now. enjoy.

fireball
01-06-2006, 10:51 AM
My step bro is in the last stages right now. He was in the army for four or five years and he's worked in corrections (at a very low wage) and has been a pilot for the past 5 years. He's been trying to get on for the entire 5 years, and he thinks they wanted someone dedicated and persistent and so he was. He passed the polygraph and fitness with flying colors and they did all the background research like interviewing neighbors and friends etc. and he is just waiting for the final interview. He said the process is pretty justified, and that he wouldn't have expected any less, but he didn't think it would take this long. He thought he would have no problems after leaving the army, but it's taken a while.

REVELATIONS
01-06-2006, 10:58 AM
Recruiting,
Anyone have been there?

tx for anwsering.

I think the question to be asked is are YOU police material?

There are specific personality traits which will make one perfect or totally unsuitable for policing.

just from my observations....regarding RCMP GD members

very organized
not easily offended by the general public
excellent communication skills by nature (written, oral)
excellent multitaskers (using a terminal, driving and talking on a cell phone simultaneously)
good thinkers on their feet
part of the 10% of society that 'acts' in a time of crisis as opposed to the 90% who merely observe (can be trained though)
excellent situational awareness
generally physically active during personal time
I'm sure I've missed some..

scubaphil
01-06-2006, 01:01 PM
serioulsy one thing you gotta ask is yourself whether u're THINK u're right for it
then again, everyone that applied might think so.

do this instead, call some of ur good friends up and get them to think abotu it and then give u a yes and no answer.

i can tell you that my friend put me down as a reference and i can say i woudl not want him to be a police officer.

Remy
01-06-2006, 02:05 PM
Take the fitness training to prep and volunteer for the Crisis Center and Community Policing. I know a few people who passed everything except the interview... my ex-gf included. She has been deferred for another year so we believe the RCMP is just seeing if she's truly serious and dedicated to her goal. From what I know, a detailed file is maintained on applicants throughout their whole process all the way to the interviews.

Remy, the fitness requirements are tougher for the VPD, if that's what you're interested in.

yah thats okay, just got ot quite smoking and get back in shape... i was at one peired in my life

fz1
01-06-2006, 03:23 PM
I think the question to be asked is are YOU police material?

There are specific personality traits which will make one perfect or totally unsuitable for policing.

just from my observations....regarding RCMP GD members

very organized
not easily offended by the general public
excellent communication skills by nature (written, oral)
excellent multitaskers (using a terminal, driving and talking on a cell phone simultaneously)
good thinkers on their feet
part of the 10% of society that 'acts' in a time of crisis as opposed to the 90% who merely observe (can be trained though)
excellent situational awareness
generally physically active during personal time
I'm sure I've missed some..

Just a couple of other ones to add to your excellent list:

Common sense to keep you alive and a sense of humour to keep you sane! :thumbup

Reg
01-06-2006, 03:23 PM
thanks for all the answers,I got through RAPT exams 2 days ago.Needless to say I'm anxious to get those results. 5 long weeks I guess. I am just curious, that's why I asked. Personaly, if I can go through the whole thing, I'll be very happy considering all the applications they get.

Lyzic
01-06-2006, 06:30 PM
pffft who wants to go to regina and fight mosquitos, then get posted to northern saskatchewan

plus those pants make you look funny

SpideRider
01-06-2006, 08:06 PM
If you're from B.C. and want to come back here, you're nearly guaranteed these days to get that. In the past this was not the case.

Lyzic
01-06-2006, 09:15 PM
If you're from B.C. and want to come back here, you're nearly guaranteed these days to get that. In the past this was not the case.

not really any more. a class just gradded that all went to alberta

parently the bc influx is starting to plateau

REVELATIONS
01-07-2006, 02:02 AM
Yup, a bunch went to fort Mcmurray.
Its definitly changing, who knows where you will end up, plus depot is going up in price constantly.

SpideRider
01-07-2006, 09:40 AM
Good thing Jewell has no interest in the RCMP then. :D I sure as fuck wouldn't want to move to Fort Mac or anywhere else for that matter. Been there, done that already. No more large scale moves for this boy.

kamen rider
01-07-2006, 04:44 PM
i can tell you that my friend put me down as a reference and i can say i woudl not want him to be a police officer.

I know someone who passed everything... the fitness test, interviews... and the last step left was to check his references. One or more of his friends gave some "unfavourable" feedback and he didn't make it. Mannn, was he PO'd!!

Defaulthonda
01-07-2006, 04:55 PM
I know someone who passed everything... the fitness test, interviews... and the last step left was to check his references. One or more of his friends gave some "unfavourable" feedback and he didn't make it. Mannn, was he PO'd!!

Ya I think this is common. Had a buddy get this far but, didn't make it due to one missed student loan payment. He was pissed too because he paid for the lazer eye surgery lol.

justice
01-07-2006, 05:04 PM
Ya I think this is common. Had a buddy get this far but, didn't make it due to one missed student loan payment. He was pissed too because he paid for the lazer eye surgery lol.
Highly unlikely that "one missed student load payment" was all it took to keep him from getting in.
There's more to the story that you probably don't know.

Lyzic
01-07-2006, 05:44 PM
Heh, like the guy who told me that he got cancelled because he said he smoked pot once in high school

"just once?"
"yeah"
"and you told them?"
"yeah"
"and they said that was too much and they cancelled you?"
"yeah"

........suuuuuuuuuuuuure

Everyone polygraphs now (or uses a lie detector system, poly or that voice recognition machine)...I know a guy who got poly'd three times in one process and was finally ok'd. that shits some stress

SpideRider
01-07-2006, 05:50 PM
Highly unlikely that "one missed student load payment" was all it took to keep him from getting in.

Everytime I hear a story like this I think precisely the same thing.

racerboy88
01-07-2006, 06:34 PM
go to a recruiting seminar for VPD. Info is on their site.

fz1
01-07-2006, 06:55 PM

I spent a couple of years as a recruiting officer. I've had to reject a number of "good" applicants because of integrity issues that I could not discuss outside the interview room. However, some of their cop buddies figured we didn't hire these people because they were the wrong ethnicity or sex. These well meaning friends had no clue what their buddies did behind their backs.

Whenever I hear about rejected applicants pulling the race card or sexual orientation card, it's unfortunately a feeble attempt at redirecting the real reason for their rejection. No one is perfect and the recruiters know that. Most things we can rack up as life experience and the process of learning. However repeated criminality or poor judgement over and over again doesn't cut it for forgivness. Sounds harsh? Well, just look south to some police departments that had massive hirings to up the "stats". Withing a few years, massive corruption or abuse of authority charges came to the surface.

For those laboring through the process either for the RCMP or the Munies, keep your head down and go throught the hurdles. When they say jump, don't say "how high". Ask " how much hang time you want?" It's a process. It isn't perfect but if it doesn't kill you, it builds....character!

All the best for those of you in the process.:thumbup

racerboy88
01-07-2006, 07:07 PM
VPD is really hard to get into. I've had a couple of friends get deferred by VPD, but are now happy members of the RCMP

Lyzic
01-07-2006, 07:10 PM
i'm surprised there are that many cop/wanna be cop bikers on a site of a sport where almost everyone breaks the law when riding

interesting.

SpideRider
01-07-2006, 07:52 PM
:laughing
Interesting thought.

slam
01-07-2006, 08:02 PM
i'm surprised there are that many cop/wanna be cop bikers on a site of a sport where almost everyone breaks the law when riding

interesting.

phrase "license to speed" mean anything to you? :drinkbeer

REVELATIONS
01-07-2006, 08:42 PM
As far as Depot goes, you CANT take anything they say or do to you there personally....otherwise you wont last long. Its really a game that they play and the idea is to see how well you play along. From standing in garbage cans to running everywhere, it can get to many but those with the thickest skin prevail.

Reg
01-07-2006, 08:48 PM
Sure glad I am, to see how of you, many are interested the subject to ! Believe the filtering process in, I do. And hope through it, I'll get.

Lyzic
01-07-2006, 09:08 PM
phrase "license to speed" mean anything to you? :drinkbeer

employee discount?

BCSBADMIN
01-07-2006, 09:08 PM
If you're interested in Police work you need to:

1) Go to the info sessions. (Check the websites for RCMP and/or municipal departments).

2) Start volunteering. Yes most of the departments have gotten rid of auxillary, the RCMP still have it, Delta still has reserves. Other departments like Vancouver and New West have good volunteer opportunities. When you volunteer you have a chance to work close to Police, and can talk to them, learn what the job is about and make a sensible decision.

The hiring process is thorough and fairly long. The physical wasn't as bad as I thought, I passed it with the flu. The interviews weren't bad, just be honest.

SpideRider
01-07-2006, 09:23 PM
Did you make it through, Jim? Or did you decide to stick with the current employment?

BCSBADMIN
01-07-2006, 09:43 PM
Did you make it through, Jim? Or did you decide to stick with the current employment?

I decided to stick with current employment for the time being. I have a few years to go until I pass the optimal hiring age anyway. It's still an option in the future, but I couldn't pass up an opportunity where I am now. I may have a couple other opportunities due to experiences and training that may be more interesting as well. I'm young and intend to keep my options open right now.

Not that it's all about the money, but I couldn't buy a house and continue my training and hobbies on a police salary right now either.

SpideRider
01-07-2006, 09:47 PM
I completely understand. I'm in the same boat, however, I wouldn't be switching to police work.

slam
01-07-2006, 10:59 PM
employee discount?

that would be "professional courtesy":thumbup

Defaulthonda
01-08-2006, 11:33 AM

Possibly, but this guy is a monk. The missed student loan thing was something they homed in on. I guess he had a lot of dept after collage graduation, they must of felt that he didn't handle it well or perhaps that he was corruptible?

Lyzic
01-08-2006, 12:54 PM
i have a bit of debt

my argument was that if they wanted university educated applicants then they have to expect debt

its also more than that. like what is the debt for. for example, if you pay tuition and have big debts thats ok, but if you just like nice things and are stupid with money, then you might be susceptible to corruption down the road, etc

at least thats what i am coming up with

SpideRider
01-08-2006, 01:56 PM
Explainable, reasonable debt is understandable. Blowing your cash on cars and other useless toys at the expense of your credit rating is a completely different matter.

daveyboy33
01-09-2006, 11:38 AM
I'm not a police officer but I'm sure the RCMP parallels the military in a lot of ways. So I am assuming that if you are a shy, passive individual, you will not last long in a policing profession. Someone who is reluctant to take charge/action will probably get canned either in training or in their profession.

REVELATIONS
01-09-2006, 11:47 AM
Unless youre trainable (ie. young), sedentary, unmotivated individuals generally make for poor police officers. You dont have to have a type A personality, just a confidence in yourself and what you are doing. This 'can' be trained as well.
Many cops are not an 'alpha male of a group' if you know what I am saying, they can also be the strong silent type.

SpideRider
01-09-2006, 01:24 PM
Just like you, eh Leevi? ;)

REVELATIONS
01-09-2006, 02:17 PM
I'm definitely no alpha male....

chromedome
01-09-2006, 02:51 PM
The wife has been in the RCMP going into her 10th year now. She loves every minute of it. She is in schools now. LOves the kids and vice versa. The RCMP I beleive is the 4th highest paid in policing. They just got a raise. Depot would definatley be tough if who have a family, but if your single, from what I understand you would have a blast. Lots more options with the RCMP VS Muni.
Great carreer if you are the type that can do the job. You definatley have to be cut out for this job. But you would find that out through the whole process. I don't think I could do it. I think working in the bars for the 10 years I did kinda molded me into being judge and jury. In other words, screw the courts, this IS what you desrerve.lol.
Good luck in a carreer I am sure you would love.:thumbup The sooner you can do this the better. 25 years and you are retired. That pisses me off. The wife will be 51 when she is done.

Commuter Boy
01-09-2006, 06:58 PM
As far as Depot goes, you CANT take anything they say or do to you there personally....otherwise you wont last long. Its really a game that they play and the idea is to see how well you play along. From standing in garbage cans to running everywhere, it can get to many but those with the thickest skin prevail.

Nothing quite like getting used to the abuse that'll get dished out to you by the general public. If you can't handle it in Depot, you won't make it on the street with someone who really does hate your guts. Learning how to not react when your buttons get pressed is a pretty key skill.

gixxstar
01-09-2006, 07:52 PM
I started the RCMP recruitment process years ago and just got as far the initial aptitude test. I passed that but I don't know how I thought I had a chance at it as I was at least a few years too young for police work. It was something that made a lot of sense at the time but I'm glad now that it didn't go any further. I don't have the personality for it. Whether I made it or not, I don't think I'd be happy doing the job. My hat's off to anyone who can make it through the application and training process. It's a far from easy profession to get into. Good luck.

Antares
01-10-2006, 01:05 AM
Ha, I wonder how far rearwheelrider made it. I remember him starting a very similar thread.

chromedome
01-10-2006, 08:50 AM
I Hate Pigs...............Me to. I hated having to wrestle them to hold them down to get there shots and not to mention the smell of the crap they ate out of the trofts. And the constant snorting.:surrender Mind you Miss Piggy was kinda hot.

REVELATIONS
01-10-2006, 12:36 PM
Ha, I wonder how far rearwheelrider made it. I remember him starting a very similar thread.

I believe he ranted and raved about how he did so well on the tests and then failed the interviews miserably.....how shocking...I think he told them about his Asian lebian fantasies or something...

Antares
01-10-2006, 03:53 PM
I believe he ranted and raved about how he did so well on the tests and then failed the interviews miserably.....how shocking...I think he told them about his Asian lebian fantasies or something...lol! That, or he couldn't restrain himself from mooning his interviewers.

kamen rider
01-10-2006, 04:08 PM
lol! That, or he couldn't restrain himself from mooning his interviewers.

They probably couldn't understand his Cantonese/Mandarin.

SpideRider
01-10-2006, 05:42 PM
I'll bet he was declined shortly after he opened his mouth at the interview.

REVELATIONS
01-10-2006, 06:37 PM
^ ....apparently he got the second highest marks in his exam group....of 'slammin arm pot smokers no doubt

Oh btw, smoking pot instantly disqualifies you.

BCSBADMIN
01-10-2006, 06:58 PM
I believe he ranted and raved about how he did so well on the tests and then failed the interviews miserably.....how shocking...I think he told them about his Asian lebian fantasies or something...

..and ticketed in the parking lot trying to wheelie.

REVELATIONS
01-10-2006, 07:15 PM
That or maybe showing them a video of him stunnin' his quad on a busy slammin road while displaying excess amounts of crack.

Pvt. BLOGGINS
01-11-2006, 12:09 AM
Oh btw, smoking pot instantly disqualifies you.

It doesn;t, but the use had to be minimal, and over 2 years ago. if the last time you toked was within 2 years you will be deferred, but pot itself does not disqualify you, however harder substances will (due to proven psychological/phsyiological changes)

Pvt. BLOGGINS
01-11-2006, 12:12 AM

Maybe the recruiter didn't like what they saw, overall and just used the student loan as there exclusion reason.

Or buddy has other issues that were a problem.

Big Student loans are not an issue, many a guy/girl goes to depot with 20k - 45k loans. A mortgage on the other can sewer you.

REVELATIONS
01-11-2006, 12:21 AM
It doesn;t, but the use had to be minimal, and over 2 years ago. if the last time you toked was within 2 years you will be deferred, but pot itself does not disqualify you, however harder substances will (due to proven psychological/phsyiological changes)

Ya true enough, LSD I think stays in your body forever.
As far as pot smoking went, I was referring to current smokers only.

Antares
01-11-2006, 03:36 AM
Ya true enough, LSD I think stays in your body forever.
I knew a girl who wanted to be a commercial pilot, but they turned her away because she had done acid once or twice. It's those pesky, inopportune flashbacks that do it.