: Roadstar "Freebee" Accident a myth?

rlestage
04-24-2006, 02:02 PM
Called my broker today.

She says there is no such thing as a free accident with roadstar.

I have roadstar, and she said if I get in an accident. My rate drops from 43% to 25%. For 3 years. After 3 years Im back at the 43% (-9 ) which I was at prior. and I can go from there.

So where does everyone always get this Free accident thing?

SpideRider
04-24-2006, 02:18 PM
I thought you got one freebie, too! Anyone else able to shed some educated light on this?

cosworth
04-24-2006, 02:26 PM
Roadstar is a program, not a designation.

You are only at level -9

You can attain level -18

Once you get to a better level the free accidents kick in since you only usually move 3 levels in a crash (eg from -15 to -12)

I am at level -18 on my bike, level -15 on the car. You can split the levels between plates as well. ICBC rules can be complicated, but clarification is best asked at the time. No sense leaving a broker uninformed. Next time ask them why, they will tell you.

elevation
04-24-2006, 02:36 PM
The one free accident thing is toast. ICBC just didn't tell us. Instead of a 40% discount we see a 43% discount. We traded the free accident for 3%.

cosworth
04-24-2006, 02:39 PM
The one free accident thing is toast. ICBC just didn't tell us. Instead of a 40% discount we see a 43% discount. We traded the free accident for 3%.

100% misinformation.

5thgear
04-24-2006, 02:42 PM
Damn it, there goes my road rage demolition derby plans at rush hour with the 1 ton dually.

elevation
04-24-2006, 02:42 PM
really? I seriously thought that is what happened. Then again they have ALOT more levels now than they did before.

cosworth
04-24-2006, 02:50 PM
These levels have been gradfathered in from the old system where it was years driving accident free.

Now the criteria is years INSURING accident free. So if you stop insuring a vehicle your level stops moving. You gain a level per year.

This has been in place for some time now...August 1st 2000. NDP legacy programs.

Ratzilla
04-24-2006, 03:40 PM
you sure? o.O where's michael? I'm sure he can give us some more info :D

michael
04-24-2006, 04:14 PM
Ratzilla calls...I answer.:laughing

There was a time when drivers earned a "free accident," (translation: if you are involved in an at fault collision, your rates don't go up).
That's gone, along with the often mis-quoted "safe drivers discount."

Both those "programs," changed, with a lot of information coming from the insurers and brokers at the time, but what the heck, if you're not liable for a collision, who pays attention to that? (rate increases is what interests people)

Anyway, the "free accident," was replaced with the "claims rated scale," and its permeations. Complex, for a certainty. I can tell you this though, if you are at the maximum discount, and I mean the absolute maximum, you can actually have 2 liable collisions without any significant increase in your premiums.
Word.

Also, Roadstar and Roadstar is a confusing mess that I think was mishandled by the marketing department. You can achieve "Roadstar status," by driving for years, claim free. You can buy a "Roadstar Package," that offers coverage for rental vehicles, lock rekeying if your keys are lost/stolen, travel protection to get you back home and loss of use.

Confused? I am. The word Roadstar was used in two entirely distinct forums, and it's confusing.:surrender

But to answer the question of the original post:

Motorists with the absolute maximum discounts do not suffer an increase in premiums with an "at fault," collision, or even two "at fault," collisions.
But first, you have to be at a full discount.
Your agent can tell by looking into their 'puter.

dhouldsw
04-24-2006, 05:03 PM
Also, Roadstar and Roadstar is a confusing mess that I think was mishandled by the marketing department. You can achieve "Roadstar status," by driving for years, claim free. You can buy a "Roadstar Package," that offers coverage for rental vehicles, lock rekeying if your keys are lost/stolen, travel protection to get you back home and loss of use.

I thought the Roadstar package was only if you're a Roadstar. There's also the Roadside Plus which is available to anyone.

No?

;D

cyclestarter
04-24-2006, 05:06 PM
icbc: making your life harder than it has to be!

michael
04-24-2006, 05:14 PM
I thought the Roadstar package was only if you're a Roadstar. There's also the Roadside Plus which is available to anyone.

Good question.
Answer?
I dunno.
Best to ask an agent this.
Seems to me you are correct though....but that's a guess.

michael
04-24-2006, 05:17 PM
icbc: making your life harder than it has to be!
LOL!
Perhaps. When I get thinking like that, I look at other jurisdictions.
Soft tissue injury? Maximum $4000 in Alberta (subject to variations, litigation, proof, pre existing conditions and the list goes on)
Hit and Run? In Alberta "thanks for coming out, no coverage."
BC is one of the last jurisdictions in north american where you get injured, you can sue and be compensated, by a judge, or jury.
Is it the best?
Probably not, in a perfect world, no one would cause crashes, but it's not the worst.
(My $.02 humbly submiteed)

Ratzilla
04-24-2006, 05:17 PM
http://www.icbc.com/insurance/pdf/APG26web.pdf

so if you're at -20, you can hit three cars in a row without having to pay for it/rates going up
?

dhouldsw
04-24-2006, 05:18 PM
http://icbc.com/insurance/insura_savemo_rdstar_packag.asp

The RoadStar Package

RoadStars can buy extra coverage called the RoadStar Package. It includes:

* Rental Vehicle Coverage
* Loss of Use Coverage
* Vehicle Travel Protection
* Lock Re-Keying

These same coverages, plus more, are available to both Roadstars and non-Roadstars in our Roadside Plus package. RoadStars can purchase RoadsidePlus for a special lower price.

;D

Hornet17
04-24-2006, 05:42 PM
Called my broker today.

She says there is no such thing as a free accident with roadstar.

I have roadstar, and she said if I get in an accident. My rate drops from 43% to 25%. For 3 years. After 3 years Im back at the 43% (-9 ) which I was at prior. and I can go from there.

There used to be a freebie. They got rid of it a few years ago.

Sloan
04-25-2006, 12:37 AM
I had a claim where I was at fault in my truck a couple of months ago. I just insured my VTR this weekend and the basic insurance rate was still at 43%. I insure the rest with Megson Fitzpatrick for additional coverage. I do not know what will happen when I renew the truck. I have the XR insured year around but only basic coverage. If the truck discount drops I may not bother with anything but basic insurance and just pay attention.

Looking at the Claim Rated Scale Position Guide I see that i can drop a few points and go from 43% to 43%. Ouch! I did see the other scale for additional coverage that maxes out at 54% discount. that is where the big money is and the hit may be more noticable.

dhouldsw
04-25-2006, 08:46 AM
The claim with your truck will only affect one insurance. So your 2nd and 3rd vehicles you insure will be at a better rate.

However, if you take the insurance off your truck, and then have to renew your bike insurance, your bike insurance will take the hit. Then you can renew your truck insurance and it will be at a better rate.

;D

michael
04-25-2006, 09:09 AM
The claim with your truck will only affect one insurance. So your 2nd and 3rd vehicles you insure will be at a better rate.
This is true. The affect on your Claim Rated Scale (the dreaded premium increase) is only on the "crash," vehicle, or it's replacement. It doesn't affect your entire stable of vehicles.

However, if you take the insurance off your truck, and then have to renew your bike insurance, your bike insurance will take the hit. Then you can renew your truck insurance and it will be at a better rate.
This is mostly true. It takes a while for the processing of the "premium increase," based on a number of factors, like when the $$ are actually paid out for the repairs/claim. Also, I'll use the term "computer," but mean the programming, it takes a while for it to determine a loss of discount, and if you have a claim in month 7 of your annual premium, you may actually renew at your best discount 5 months later, and not see an increase until the next renewal. Confusing for some, because almost 2 years can go by, and *then* there's an increase in premium.
So don't be alarmed if the "increase in premium," doesn't happen right away.

I had a claim where I was at fault in my truck a couple of months ago. I just insured my VTR this weekend and the basic insurance rate was still at 43%.
Yup. The claim rated scale is an individual thing. You can actually have an "at fault," claim, and still be at the 43% in some cases.
I'm pretty sure that's not what you meant Sloan, but it does work out that way.
Sort of the same program that gets people asking if the "freebie," is a myth....
Anyone who isn't sure, can talk to a broker, and if there's a complex set of transactions/multiple vehicles, the brokers can always call the insurer for clarification. Another reason why I like dealing with the same broker all the time.....