: Road test in Burnaby

zx7man
05-11-2006, 09:19 AM
Has anyone recently takin there road test in burnaby. I have a co-worker taking his test on May 18th, but he doesn't know burnaby very well. Any good info would be greatly appriciated, map perferably. :drinkbeer

jcanuck
05-11-2006, 11:32 AM
They’ll probably make him do some hill stop/starts and Bby has some pretty steep hills so make sure he’s comfortable with that.

BooBoo11
05-11-2006, 11:32 AM
I know the Wayburne MVB is up canada way, behind BCIT and you turn right off C.Way and drive up quite a ways (like 6 blocks or so) and its right there. There is lots of hill around that area if thats of any help. When I did my road test 25 years ago they made me go through a bunch of cones and stuff and boot it then stop within a certain distance...

Tell your buddy good luck and be carefull, apparently their very anal now a days.

PilotPete
05-11-2006, 11:59 AM
if he wants a tour around the area to see all the school zones, let me know!!

Pete

taita
05-11-2006, 12:54 PM
I know the Wayburne MVB is up canada way, behind BCIT and you turn right off C.Way and drive up quite a ways (like 6 blocks or so) and its right there. There is lots of hill around that area if thats of any help. When I did my road test 25 years ago they made me go through a bunch of cones and stuff and boot it then stop within a certain distance...

Tell your buddy good luck and be carefull, apparently their very anal now a days.

All road tests are done at the Lougheed Highway location and not Wayburne (that's the claims center). That would suck to show up at the wrong place...

Driver Services Centre
3880 Lougheed Hwy.
Burnaby, BC
V5C 6N4

Phone: 604-661-2255
Exams: 604-661-2255
Hours: Monday-Tuesday 8:30am to 4:30pm / Wednesday-Friday 7:30am to 7:30pm
2All testing in Burnaby is done at this location.

zx7man
05-11-2006, 02:16 PM
thx for the replies. but if someone has a map of the route they went on that would be super appreciated.

doug
05-11-2006, 03:10 PM
thx for the replies. but if someone has a map of the route they went on that would be super appreciated.

would you like someone to take your test for you too? open up a map of burnaby. there's your route.

they don't take a standard route. they go all over the place, covering as many things as possible. school zones, highway, merging, left turns.... it's all there. just like in real life.

kamen rider
05-11-2006, 03:38 PM
I can confirm that they don't use a standard route.

However, they do take you on a stretch of the No. 1 highway and you have to watch the speed from when it changes from 90kmph to 80 kmph.

Just scan ahead and ride by the book.

gord-r6
05-11-2006, 06:52 PM
I took my test at lougheed two weeks ago. They took close to the second narrows and then up to a school made me do a U-turn (which i dropped a foot) and then around the hastings area and to another school on kitchener and back to the office.

Stewy
05-11-2006, 07:24 PM
Why does it matter which route they take you on? To pass, you should be comfortable to ride in ANY environment. Seeing driving school cars touring around testing facilities just floors me. "Yea, so...first they'll make you turn right, then left...then stop...then right again." Just tell your friend to practice up, listen to the commands over the radio carefully and just ride...thats all it is.

Fotura
05-11-2006, 08:49 PM
The possibilities of a route are endless. It's up to the examiner where you go. I didn't hit any hills on mine but being the first test of the day, we went through 3 school zones because school was starting.

Like Stewy said, just take it easy and ride. They only want to see if you understand the basic rules of the road. If you can't demonstrate them then you're hooped anyways. It doesn't matter where you are going.

After the first couple of minutes, I just took it as a solo ride with my little schizophrenic voice telling me what to do.

cambino
05-11-2006, 10:56 PM
mines on the 18th in burnaby as well, i don't give a fuck where they take me, wish me luck!:evilgrin

diggler132
05-11-2006, 11:04 PM
Come on people why is this an issue of the route. The roadtest is to test your observation skills ie. speed, scanning, lane changes etc. Has nothing to do with your riding ability, except for your U-turn. I know everybody has anxiety about it but just relax take a deep breath and listen to your examiner tell you what direction to go. Your skills should of been dealt with before booking your exam(MST).

Boydfish
05-11-2006, 11:21 PM
I took my test in Burnaby a couple of years ago. The routes don't matter. The only advice I'd give is that you go to Crappy Tire and buy a roll of blaze orange duct tape. Take one piece and run it up the back of your lid. The examiner will be able to see tiny changes in your head position for scanning much easier. I did that for my test and it was a big hit with the examiner.

rolliton600
05-12-2006, 12:51 AM
Has anyone recently takin there road test in burnaby. I have a co-worker taking his test on May 18th, but he doesn't know burnaby very well. Any good info would be greatly appriciated, map perferably. :drinkbeer

they took me right onto the freeway from the office and exited at hastings...turned left a few blocks up and rode around all those extremely steep hilled streets on the north side of hastings street...also there are 2 schools back there as well as a few of those roundabout deals which can be confusing if ya hit it unexpectedly...its pretty straight forward just know your roadsense and practice your riding skills as much as possible...oh,and try not to fre:eek ak out!!

rolliton600
05-12-2006, 01:07 AM
this was pretty much it

robomoto
05-12-2006, 08:38 AM
I did mine at the end of October 05. Straight to the #1, off at McGill (behind PNE) and then a lot of relatively slow riding in the neighbourhoods from near the PNE and heading towards downtown.

There are several school/park areas close together, if you're not familiar with the area (I was not) it feels like a road-test-speed-trap. Not a surprize - you're being tested for situational awareness.

Rain and piles of leaves in the round-abouts made it a bit "technical" as well. Between the #1 and the suburban riding, then back on major roads it felt like a good test of both my road knowledge and riding ability. Never did a U-turn though, although a 180 in a round-about probably substituted.

The tester missed a turn on the route at a major intersection, had me pull over while they waited to get through a light. Even if there was a "standard" route, traffic happens and every test will be different.

Tell your friend it isn't a race, expected the unexpected and think everything through. Pay attention to speed zones, shoulder checking and signaling. If they're not familiar with traffic circles/round-abouts it's worth giving them a try so they're not going "WTF?" if one appears on the route. Other posters have mentioned hill stops/starts - I'd second that. Lots of hills throughout Burnaby.

kamen rider
05-12-2006, 09:07 AM
Now I know they take riders out on different routes for the test.

I was never instructed to go north of Broadway/Lougheed Highway or towards downtown. I did go through the south part of Deer Lake Park (watch the speed limit!) and enter the Canada Highway at Kensington. I also had to do a U-turn in a residential area.

Just ride by the book and scan often.

zx7man
05-12-2006, 10:57 AM
thx again for the replies. all your info is greatly appriciated, just trying to help a fellow rider out.

rolliton600
05-12-2006, 11:53 AM
Now I know they take riders out on different routes for the test.

I was never instructed to go north of Broadway/Lougheed Highway or towards downtown. I did go through the south part of Deer Lake Park (watch the speed limit!) and enter the Canada Highway at Kensington. I also had to do a U-turn in a residential area.

Just ride by the book and scan often.

thats just it bro,my bud had me all ready for the smith ave-moscrop-deer lake-kensington route as him and 2 guys from his riding class had done a couple weeks before and they sprung the north burnaby route on me....reminded me of high school,goin into the final with all the answers to the wrong test!!!but seriously a friend of mine does road tests and she says there are several route possibilities so just practice your riding skills and relax and you'll make it through no problem