: 2001 RM 250: Fork Seals

PeteDawg
06-09-2006, 12:07 PM
Whats up guys,

I just bought a 2001 RM 250 but the fork seals are leaking badly. I'll try the buisness card trick but if that doesn't work i'll need to replace em. They are upside down forks just like a street bike. Can i change them myself? If it is the same process as a streetbike, i don't think i have the tools to do it. Is it easier?

Also i need various bolts and fastners for the brake lever pivot and actuator, one triple clamp bolt and such. My local hardware (in Kitimat) shop only carries imperial fastners. Can i order these from anywhere?

Thanks for your help.

snatch250
06-09-2006, 06:46 PM
chances are you wont be able to do it yourself...inside the fork you will need special tools i believe...and ass for your missing bolts i would say yes you could....but make sure you are ordering the right shit...

matty67
06-09-2006, 07:14 PM
take them off the bike and take them to a shop. there is much more in there than it looks like.

Whocares
06-12-2006, 01:53 PM
Dont do it!
Those are very complicated forks.
They have an additional damping chamber inside, unless you really know what
you are doing you will have a bitch of a time getting it right.
I know this because I have a DRZ that has 01 Rm forks.
I speak from which i know.
At Carter in Coquitlam they will cost you 2hrs + seals and oil
money well spent.

foxtrot uniform
06-14-2006, 11:59 AM
I just had the seals and sweepers replaced on my crf @ Holeshot. First the right hand side leaked so I took the whole bike to them and two weeks later the left side began leaking. This time I took only the fork to them. The difference in price was minimal as far as I remember. They told me that they use specialized tools to replace the seals. Not sure if this is true or not but without having ever pulled a modern day fork apart I wasn't sure what to expect. I tried useing old camera film to clean the around the seal. I had heard it works well but didn't in my case. I think as long as leaking forks don't become too frequent I'll let the pro's do it.

nacnac83
06-22-2006, 10:20 PM
i dont know how much more complicated they are then my '94 but i just finished doing them and i had to buy 2 tools the damper puller and the seal driver costing me about 100 bucks then seals and fluid. again these were kx forks but it wasnt that hard just make sure to have a clean table to lay all the parts down and the manual helps too...