BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

Dark or light tint visor -- which is better for Vancouver?

2K views 19 replies 11 participants last post by  SmokinGixx 
#1 ·
I'm planning on buying a smoked visor for the upcoming riding season. Which is better for Vancouver weather -- dark or light tint?

I'm worried that a dark tint visor will be too dark for use on cloudy days, while a light smoke shield won't be dark enough for bright sunny days.

I don't really like riding with sunglasses, and I'll probably carry my clear shield around for night riding.

What are your experiences with dark or light tinted visors?

#2 ·
I used a Dark Tint. Great for sunny days, but can be a bit unnerving especially riding back from Squamish in the dark (with BMXER). Kinda like fog!:p You can almost feel your heart pound right clear of your chest with each turn, i.e. I wouldn't recommend doing it. Just don't get caught out past sunset.

:D

#4 ·
I use the light tinted visor for my Arai even at night. It's not that dark but still better
than clear in the daytime tho. You might as well carry the dark tint too on your rides,
especially if you don't like wearing sunglasses. Just do a short boot around to see
what works for you. You might have a different sensitivity to light at night.
:evil D()K :evilgrin

PS... The police might stop you if you have the dark visor down when riding
at night. They usually don't bother you if they see you riding with the
visor up.

#5 ·
Clear or hidef visor with a set of shades that fit comfortably in your helmet. Too often rides go past sundown and ya wind up blind or riding with your visor up catchin bugs in the eyeball in stanley park or some other such super dark place, but it gets so sunny that a light visor alone is just wayy too much glare.

#11 ·
I have a mirrored and it basically equates to a light tint.

It sucks at night and doesn't do much good on sunny days but is alright on cloudy days, but on cloudy days, you're usually fine with just clear anyhow.

#15 ·
yeah, be pimp and buy both, or throw in one more there - the mirrored one - to make it your 3rd one ON TOP of the regular clear! :D i have a light smoke tint for my arai. i think i'll either buy a dark or mirrored next. probably go for dark, then the mirrored (and hope i don't go broke, haha).

#16 ·
I forgot to mention the FogCity inserts...

I have one dark tint and a couple of clears, one with a FogCity Hyper Optiks Light Reactive Visor Insert. Great for fogless viewing, and the photochromatic tinting helps for those not-so-bright days, 'cause it'll "clear up" when the sun's not that strong, especially at dusk.

Only complaint I have is the starbursts glare from on-coming headlight, street lights, etc. but it's not that bad, and you can easily get used to it.

:D

#20 ·
red_dragon said:
Haven't they invented one that changes its tint depending on light conditions (yet)?? Even my grandmother's glasses do that and those are like...10 years old...lol

:O

I'm surprised if they havent.
yeah, like those anti-glare, ligh induction-reduced lenses for glasses. LOL i wonder how those would look heh? wouldn't be a bad idea. i know practicality comes first, but i think practicality and looks are just as important to me. :D hehehe.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.