BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

3m Protective film for fuel tanks...

744 views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  TeeTee 
#1 ·
Eh guys/gals,

I just got some of that pre-cut 3m clear vinyl for my bike. I was curious about the installation of it. Some say to washup my bike and wax it and get it looking all purdy before puting it on. Others say just to wash it and then make sure no wax is on.

Has anyone installed it before and can let me know how it is suppose to be done? Cause getting so many conflicting stories is becoming a headache!

Thanks for the advise!

#3 ·
Wash and wax it. I've done 4 bikes now with Tank Slappers and found that waxing the finish seems to seal and further flatten the finish so the vinyl sticks better and for longer. The one that only got washed showed a few extra air bubbles within a week. But those may have been little bumps in the paint.

#4 ·
I like to wax it up good first. The stuff I use is cling vinyl, so there's no adhesive and if it's not on just the way you like, you can peel it back and re-apply. It also makes it easier to change when the scuffing gets to the vinyl and you wanna change it.

A sheet of that stuff has your name on it still bruce (from so many years ago)

#5 ·
Thanks for the input I haven't purchased the tank slapper stuff as I didn't know where to get it. Heard good things about it. The 3m stuff I have is adhesive and I was told it works awesome and that removing it isn't that hard... Anyone ever try?

#6 ·
www.thetankslapper.com . Order online and it shows up in your mailbox about 2 weeks or less later. I've ordered online with my credit card 4 times now and never had a problem with any sneaky stuff. Cost is just a little more than the cost of the material from what I can tell so far. Ends up being well under $30 Cdn after all the dust settles.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.