BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

Another rider down....

12K views 67 replies 44 participants last post by  shurton 
#1 ·
A motorcycle operator suffered severe injuries when his machine was in collision with a semi-trailer truck unit in a large industrial section in northwest Langley.

Langley RCMP spokesman Cpl. Holly Marks said that it appears the collision occurred as the truck, traveling west on 92 Avenue, was making a left turn on to 196A Street, into the path of the eastbound motorcycle.

The collision occurred at 2:15 p.m. on Wednesday. Because of the severity of his injuries the motorcycle operator was airlifted to hospital where he is in critical condition.

Marks said that ICARS, the Integrated Collision and Reconstruction Analysis Service, was at the scene helping police with the investigation. Police closed 92 Avenue between 194 and 200 Streets and do not expect the area to be re-opened for several hours.

#7 ·
Another serious injury caused by reckless stunting on sidewalks. . .
I bet you this doesn't make it into the news, or if so it'll be some minor item.
Best of luck to the rider.

#11 ·
I don't know why, but it does seem that cagers are driving like idiots more than usual during this patch of sunny weather and longer days, particularly in the late afternoon/early evening.

While returning to Richmond from a short ride around 6pm yesterday, I decided to return home via the Connector (instead of my usual H'way 99/Steveston H'way route) and lost count of the "near misses" in about a 15 minute time frame that I encountered on my bike.
Here are some "highlights":-

-about 3 or 4 sudden lane changes into my lane almost right on top of me with no prior flasher indicating the manoeuver (on the Connector between 6 Road and Garden City)

-1 sudden left turn from the right lane right by a cager going in the same direction in front of me when I was in the left lane and one merge to a right turn lane by a cager going in the same direction from the left lane cutting me off in the right lane (Garden City)

-1 left turn in front of me at Granville and St. Alban's that forced me to brake hard, even though I saw it coming and had slowed to about 30 kph

-a punk in a black Lexus 400 with tinted windows and an "N" sticker on the back almost took me out when he cut in front of me to go around a parked car on Gilbert. The little prick knew I was there and just flipped me the bird after I laid on my horn.

It occurred to me that these episodes were nothing unusual, because I see the same crappy driving when I'm in my car.

In future, I'll stick to my usual "escape route" on Steveston Highway, which is by far the safest route in and out of Richmond.

Having endured the painful recovery from 2 serious crashes many years ago under similar circumstances, my thoughts are with the injured Langley rider.
Be careful, folks...

#14 ·
I work a block away from this accident scene, and know a couple of the guys that work at the shop the rider was leaving from.

I ride through that intersection each day when going to and from work, and it is a terrible area with very poor visibility. There is a semi-truck compound there, and the truckers NEVER stop when pulling out of the yard. I've had a few close calls there myself and simply chalked it up to idiot truckers not caring when they pull out.

He was quite young guy - about 20 or 21ish, there is a pretty sombre mood at the shop today. I will post any updates if I get any news from the other guys at the shop.

#21 ·
Does anyone know which shop this rider was leaving or what type of bike he was on?

#23 ·
Yesterday riding back from the airport to White Rock in mid afternoon it seemed worse than a full moon on a Saturday night. Tailgated, cut off, it felt like driving Toronto again. I was just taking it easy in the right lane all the way. Seems like the whole place was off their meds for the day. Seriously, if it takes $2 litre gas to get these idiots off the road, bring it on.

#30 ·
I think some riders don't fully understand the dominating (recommended by icbc) aspect of riding. When riding you should have the ability to create safe space around you.
To better understand OneTrack's post I think one should read his couple year old thread.

When approaching an intersection (w green lights) and you see a left-turner sitting there then please do cover your horn. Do honk if you see left-turner move...also be prepared to stop.

#31 ·
I would add to that watch carefully to see if the vehicle starts to roll either forward or backwards. Also look to make eye contact with the other driver. LOOK to see where HE is looking. I will even go as far as to point at drivers as if to say "I see you, you see me, do the right the thing.".

#35 ·
Flashing headlights always meant and I still consider that it does mean, go ahead..
Although I guess these days if I see that I'm more of WTF is he trying to do..

#36 ·
That's less than 3 minutes away from my work.

96A is a small back road with single lane traffic.
How can anyone ride fast enough to be in critical condition?

This area is known for lots of truck and semi. This is also the area that trucks/cars never care about riders. Whenever I ride to work on 96, lots of drivers completely ignore me and turn left as they pleased.

anyway, heal fast rider.

This post has been deleted
#39 ·
Try the Google map with satellite mode and you will notice that there is a curve one block before (about 70meters) and one block after (about 80 meters) the 92/196a intersection. Maybe visibilty issue. Also the 92 west to 196a left turn is more than 90 degree angle turn which makes it a bit easier for semi to make a turn there. The satellite image do confirm what ecsw said that semi's rules in this area.

#45 ·
Thats the problem with left turners, the slower you go the more antsy they get, the faster you go the more dangerous it gets. And antsy left turners = dangerous.

To be completely prepared from left turners you'd have to slam on your brakes till you get to 10km/h in the intersection, then once you reach in past their front bumper you accelerate hard to get out of their way. But thats bad in it self, I wouldn't do it.

Don't tell me you guys can say for sure that every time you pass the left turner you'd have no problem stopping or swerving at any moment during that pass without notice.

#48 ·
I have personally spoken to someone who has visited the rider in the hospital. They have been friends for 10 years+.
He is on life support. He has several broken bones. They have operated at least once because of internal bleeding. They have not closed up his chest/stomach because there is too much pressure.
The person I spoke to is dreading that he will get "the call".
The rider has been riding for many years.....you just never know.......
Very disturbing.
Let's keep the positive thoughts of well being and healing flowing.

#51 ·
First off I would like to thank all of you for your concern for our family. I am the oldest cousin of the young man who is the subject of this thread. We have been using this thread as a tool to keep our thoughts and prayers full of hope with the kind words and concerns of everyone here. I can't explain how much the kind words and thoughts all of you have had has helped our family. We still have not heard any official report from the RCMP regarding the scene so we are going to stop the speculation as to the cercumstances of the accident.

The young man is as posted 25 years old, a heavy duty mechanic at Finning, and has been riding bikes his whole life. He is loved by his wonderful girlfriend and parents who have been at his side since the accident. The rest of the family and famly friends have been with them in the waiting room pouring all possible hope and comfort towards the young man and his family.

He is still in critical condition and on full life support. His injuries were extreme to say the least however little he is progressing, he is making progress. Broken arm, leg, sturnum, and ribs. Lacerated liver failing kidneys, and collapsd lung are just some of the injuries he is fighting to heal. This young man is a fighter and has been in several Dirt Bike accidents or other extreme sport injuries that he has always fully recovered from. It has been a family topic of dicussion how many bones or scars he has compared to the rest of the family combined. So we use that to remind us that he can make it though this as well.

I can't stress enough how much we appreciate the sentaments and look forward to reading your responses....

Your new friend,

KamTwiggy

#55 ·
KamTwiggy,

First off our prayers are with this young man as well as you and the family friends. Please also contact the Association of Injured Motorcyclists, AIM Vancouver 604-580-0112 or see their website at http://www.aimvancouver.com. They have a number of resources and information that could be very helpful to you at this time.

They will also have a booth at the Wings and Wheels Show & Shine tomorrow.http://www.bcsportbikes.com/forum/showthread.php?t=111965

Stay Strong,

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.