BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

Bike theft, ICBC, and helping the police

3K views 32 replies 17 participants last post by  tWiN gRiNs 
#1 ·
I was thinking the other day about this but don't know how to go about changing the system. Any input would be great. My problem many stems from ICBC/Motor vehicle branch and how the relate with the police.

A lot of stolen vehicles are located by the diligence of police officers running plates as they drive. (save any comments about the diligence part for another thread). But this is part of the problem where ICBC lets us down.

Here is a scenario -

1) Cop runs plate ABC123 and sees it on a Red 2004 Ford Mustang 2 door.

When that cop gets back the information for the plate they get back a load of info. Including the information on the car, such as colour, brand, make, style (2dr or 4dr), and year. Based on that information a cop can make a pretty good guess that the vehicle he is looking at is the same vehicle.

2) Cop runs A12345 and sees it on a Blue 2003 Suzuki 600 GSXR. The only information the cops gets back is make, year and displacement, no model information and very seldon any colour. As many bikes are stolen, using other plates, it makes it very difficult for a front line cop to determine if the bike they are looking is the right type. :banghead

Solutions -

ICBC/MVB should put in a few more descriptors such as model, colour and style Ie sport, cruiser... whatever, so that Constable Joe Average knows what he is looking at........

Any thoughts???

PS. If the bike has already been reported stolen, and the guy is running with the plate for that vehicle it is irrelevant because the bike will come back as stolen, I'm looking at it as a help to cops???

See less See more
#2 ·
Aren't all of the descriptors in the ICBC insurance papers when you fill them out?? I'm sure that if you ask the insurance agent to fill out the information in its entirety they would do that...

I agree with you, all of that information should be available to the police when they check the licence plates - it would make it easier to see if the plate fits the bike.

#3 ·
There's way too many variables. Most bikes have mutli tone paint jobs, aftermarket signals and brake lights. I think ICBC would save money keeping it the way it is, rather than educating every peace office on how to determine which make/model and year the bikes are.

I dunno, just me thinking out loud. I wish there was a better way too, but since i don't really have any insight on this, I don't have many ideas.

I would say a good 1/2 of our bikes get stripped down for parts within a very short period of time. Most of these guys are profesionals, if they want it, they can usually take it. And these professionals aren't joyriding around the streets, they cart our possesions and take off asap...bastards.

#5 ·
I think Bloggins has a good point. If the info inserts are already there for cars then why can that info be input for bikes as well. I don't think it would require any huge/costly changes to the existing system and may help them catch a few bikes in the process. It's better than nothing and it's pretty clear that something needs to be done to catch bike thieves.

I'll check with my friend at ICBC and see what the deal is with that info disconnect.

#6 ·
boarder said:
There's way too many variables. Most bikes have mutli tone paint jobs, aftermarket signals and brake lights.
And cars are never modified, and come in multi-tone paint.... Look at your average honda civic. Police will still know by the ICBC screen primary colour, if it is a 2dr, 4dr, or hatch.... all the cop knows on a bike is make and cc.

In my mind, if they are doing it for cars, why can't they do it for motorcycles, it's not like I don't pay my fair share in ICBC premiums!!

G
#8 ·
Gets kinda personal but mabey owner or principal operator size as well?
For example: Sportbike, Female rider (cant always tell from behind but ya never know)
Sportbike, larger rider (say male over 6 foot and approx weight over say 180lbs.)
ect. ect.

Thsi might also help the PO while running the plate if it comes up as small female rider and there is some dood with a skull cap tipping the scales over 200.

I could give a god damn if my approx size was listed on my insurance.

Just a thought

#13 ·
I think your on the right path, but again, as described its way easier and more common place for a bike to be modified beyond normal recognition...

For instance, about 90% of the cars on the road today have one solid colour or a colour that covers 75% or more of the visible body.. were as with Bikes, its far more common place for it to be multi-coloured.. Hell, I have the only gixxer I've seen thats one farkin colour.. Not to mention street fighter styles etc...

Maybe a "bait bike" program very similar to the bait car program would be a good setup.. Wouldnt be to difficult to plant a couple gps chips throughout the bike, that way cops could find out exactly were its being taken and luck permitting, snag a regular thief or two...

#14 ·
How many bikes actually have the make, model and displacement written on them so that they can be read from a distance. Not too many. Can you imagine trying to train cops to tell the difference between an R1, R6, Z-X6, Z-X12,GSXR and a CBR-RR. I agree it's a good idea to give the cops as much information as possible, but how much can they use? And actually pulling over a stolen bike, well there's another problem.

#15 ·
What about something along the CAT idea with cars. I hardly ever ride my bike at night, and if I do I wouldn't mind pulling over to have some copy check to see if I stole it.

I think most bikes are stolen at night. Just a thought.

And Gurp, I bet your GF would love the idea of rider info. Maybe she'd get to ride her bike now and then instead of you riding it (and taking it appart & missing rides) :p

#16 ·
jeckyll said:
What about something along the CAT idea with cars. I hardly ever ride my bike at night, and if I do I wouldn't mind pulling over to have some copy check to see if I stole it.

I think most bikes are stolen at night. Just a thought.

And Gurp, I bet your GF would love the idea of rider info. Maybe she'd get to ride her bike now and then instead of you riding it (and taking it appart & missing rides) :p

Can I get a big fuck no? cops pull me over for shitty enuff reasons, giving them the power to constantly pull me over JUST cause its dark would piss me right the fuck off..

#17 ·
I'm in favour of the CAT idea. I keep meaning to do it for my car, but haven't got around to it yet... I'm less concerned for the car than for our bikes, though.

The problem with CAT bikes (CBT?) is that we'd need a way to prominently display some kind of sticker/marker, yet in such a way that a potential thief wouldn't think to look for it before taking off. Part of the brilliance of the CAT program is that a CAT sticker in the corner of the window isn't that likely to be noticed by a thief who focuses on the door lock, then the ignition, and then on the front window as he gets his ass on down the road. Many don't even think to look for a sticker in the window.

On a bike, though, a prominent sticker could be easily peeled. Maybe we need headlight (or taillight) pulsers that pulse a certain pattern? Or pulse once every 20 seconds or something? Something that would be subtle, but that could be easily identified as a pattern and not normal operation. Hook it to a timer, and after 1AM the lights go nuts if you drive it. Surely that would get a cop's attention...

#18 · (Edited)
Ya I like the idea Tony, anything to get these mother fuckers!! After 2 encounters with theives...the cops pretty much are helpless unless they know something about the sport.

As for my 'OPINION' I would TOTALLY go for a C.A.T. program. A VOLUNTARY program for riders.. for cars i think its between the hours of 2am-5am (which i dont see to many bikes on the road at that hour) That would be alright by me. (like i said, voluntary... for those who get too much heat from the PO-PO as is!)

Either that or bring back CAPITAL PUNISHMENT for crimes against bikes. Ya.. if only that were possible....maybe more BIKERS should run for office! :hangman

#19 ·
Another note, if you run a vehicle from Alberta, it lists everything, make, model, size, style, year, and colour.

To me model wouldn't be as important as style... dirt vs cruiser vs sport

The CAT program states that the vehicle is rarely driven between 1 and 5 a.m. (More than 70% of auto thefts occur during those early morning hours.) If the police spot your vehicle being driven after 1 a.m. and before 5 a.m., they will stop it and verify the driver's licence and registration. It's an effective deterrent to would-be thieves, and it doesn't cost you a cent. Combat Auto Theft is a joint program of ICBC, your local police and BCAA.

As for the bait bike program, I'm not to sure how viable it is, having seen the program here, the equipment involved is quite intensive, and the process to enforce it, I can't see an effective set-up happening with a motorcycle (yet), If someone wants to know more PM me as it would take a while to explain...

G
#20 ·
i can't believe they dont' have at least the style thru icbc...they put it all in the computer anyway...any ideas on how we can change that? a request perhaps to the superintendant of mv's? i dont' think it would be a matter of training the cops as they'll eventually learn more about the styles of bikes with more indepth info they would get from ICBC...knowledge is power! probably just a matter of upgrading a certain program on their computer - god knows they can afford it!!

as for the cat program - I'm not against it, I probably wouldn't go for it as I like riding at night - you never know where you may end up at 4am!! :lurking

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.