How to Upgrade My Exhaust???

Thread: How to Upgrade My Exhaust???

Registered User Array

Lightbulb How to Upgrade My Exhaust???

I have a Suzuki GS500 with a stock exhaust that has a hole in the muffler.

So I want to upgrade my exhaust, but I didn't spend that much on the bike, so I can't bring myself to spend $350 for a slip on Yoshimura (the only brand that makes one for my bike).

So what I was thinking, is that maybe I could just find another used exhaust that has a slip on piece, or mid-pipe, and then I could just cut it to where it would fit nicely, and then cut my exhaust off. Then I'd just bring in my header and the new exhaust into an exhaust shop and get them to weld it up for me for about $50 or so.

Would this work? Are there any things that I should know, or look for?

Any advice would be great. Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements

That's Dr. Kewn to you!!! Array drakewn's Avatar
    Quesnel BC
    2002 Triumph Daytona 955i
    Quite a few years ago, I was strapped for cash and both cans on my old Yamaha had rusted through on the bottom. So I took them off, and got a buddy to braze a couple of pieces of 3"x5" galvanized steel over the holes, then spraypainted them with high-temp silver paint. It wasn't the most beautiful thing, but since you almost had to get down on your knees to see where the work was done it was OK. That got me through a whole season for a few bucks worth of paint. (I'm not a welder or anything like that so I am just assuming it was galvanized steel, but I'm pretty sure my friend said he 'brazed' them.)