Look at what our Conservative Government is up to now
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Look at what our Conservative Government is up to now

Crotch Rocket Scientist Array penumbra604's Avatar
    Bike
    2001 Yamaha FZ1

Look at what our Conservative Government is up to now

http://www.canada.com/topics/technol...f-47f6fc96ce5e

Enjoy the erosion of your rights to any sort of privacy on personal media players or laptops, being found guilty unless you can prove your innocence and summary fines and confiscation of your property.

We can thank Mr. Harper for this....
    2001 Black Yamaha FZ1

Bike
    FJarrrrrrr!
    sick!!!! Just another example of our tax dollars at work....pathetic!

Bike
    bike
    Sounds like your typical government "we are initiating this new policy to stop this one specific activity that most citizens will agree with" which eventually becomes a slippery slope leading to further invasions of privacy that are only realized once it's to late.

Unfortunately until Canadians learn to rise up and employ violent protest, they will keep shoving the foot deeper up your asses. You asked for it.
    Too sexy for this forum.

Bike
    2001 Yamaha FZ1
    Google news shows 3 whole news stories for this...funny how the media companies are keeping it quiet....
    2001 Black Yamaha FZ1

Swivel on it Array SkydiveSonic's Avatar
    Bike
    Chia
    Not that the media in North America is censored at all .....

Orwell where are ya? You got it spot on dude ....
    If you wanna say something, speak into the mic. It's right above my balls.

From N00bie to Wannabe Array FASTn50's Avatar
    Bike
    2005 VFR 800A (Red!) 2006 CFR 450X (Red!) 2012 Ninja 250R (Red!) 2012 BMW F800GS (Blue/White)
    Gee! Maybe if people paid for things they want that other people own instead of stealing them, no one would have any reason to dream up laws like this.
    Don't get me wrong; I hate infringments on my "rights" but what the F@k are you supposed to do if someone is blatantly stealing your paycheque?

"I want it but I don't want to pay for it so I'll steal it!" doesn't cut it! In fact; it endangers my personal rights to privacy!

Look in the mirror people!

Bike
    well how would they know if you purchased the media legally????

Bike
    bike
    Quote Originally Posted by FASTn50 View Post
    Gee! Maybe if people paid for things they want that other people own instead of stealing them, no one would have any reason to dream up laws like this.
    Don't get me wrong; I hate infringments on my "rights" but what the F@k are you supposed to do if someone is blatantly stealing your paycheque?

"I want it but I don't want to pay for it so I'll steal it!" doesn't cut it! In fact; it endangers my personal rights to privacy!

That would be the foot in the door for this policy now wouldn't it.
    Too sexy for this forum.

Bike
    2005 VFR 800A (Red!) 2006 CFR 450X (Red!) 2012 Ninja 250R (Red!) 2012 BMW F800GS (Blue/White)
    Quote Originally Posted by adam112 View Post
    That would be the foot in the door for this policy now wouldn't it.
    I was thinking more along the lines of "You reap what you sow"

Three hour tour guide Array silverD's Avatar
    Bike
    '08 Varadero
    Nice to know the sky is still falling ....
    I'm not addicted! and I'm not quitting!!
    Heeere's your sign...

...and "always" look on the bright side of life...

Bike
    2001 Yamaha FZ1
    I was thinking more along the lines of "You reap what you sow"
    Are you a luddite? So you own no MP3s whatsoever?

Even if you rip your own discs, they have no way of determining if it's legal. They can snoop through your stuff at the border and seize it.
    2001 Black Yamaha FZ1

Bike
    Ninja 1000
    Oh please. I used to download music via Napster, Limewire, etc. After the all the viruses and aggravation I just used itunes. 99 cents a song is a bargain to me. Most of my music is now legit but I am not going to go through every song to determine what was 'stolen' and what is legit. They need to focus on the ISPs. Go right to the source not the individuals.

Most people do buy music. This new 'law' will cause more problems then solutions.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by penumbra604 View Post
    Are you a luddite? So you own no MP3s whatsoever?

Even if you rip your own discs, they have no way of determining if it's legal. They can snoop through your stuff at the border and seize it.
    I didn't say I like this law. In fact I resent that this kind of law must even be considered. I'm pointing out why we get these laws.
    I do have an MP3 but seldom use it and only have recorded music for which I have paid. These laws would not have a chance of existing if there wasn't massive piracy going on.
    I ask again; what would you do if someone is blatantly stealing your property?

Bike
    2001 Yamaha FZ1
    I didn't say I like this law. In fact I resent that this kind of law must even be considered. I'm pointing out why we get these laws.
    I do have an MP3 but seldom use it and only have recorded music for which I have paid. These laws would not have a chance of existing if there wasn't massive piracy going on.
    I ask again; what would you do if someone is blatantly stealing your property?
    The argument about what constitutes 'stolen property' or 'lost money' is a lot more complex than everyone with an mp3 they didn't buy has stolen from the record company. How many of people would simply do without the music if they had to pay for it? How much is the song really worth? Most record companies argue that you can't even rip a song from a CD that you own for use in your media player, or on your computer.

Anyways - that's not an argument I feel like having. Music piracy is wrong - I agree with you there.

Why do media companies get to make laws? Lobby and donations to candidates running for office - they buy the legislators they need. That's wrong, too.

What would I do if people were stealing from me but for some reason I was still making billions in profit annually? Shit, I dunno. Buy hookers and blow to console me, I guess. (sarcasm)

The recording industry and to a lesser degree the movie industry are SLOWLY changing their business plan. They are finally adopting to an Internet-based, DRM-free sales option. This is a hugely positive step and if they continue to go there, then bully for them. That will cap and eventually reverse the trend of "theft".

Once again - what is this act REALLY going to be used for? What abuses does it allow? Corrupt border guards seizing thousands of mp3 players and laptops and then forgetting to do the paperwork? They're not all corrupt but I'd bet this would happen sometimes.

This could even be applied to police performing "raids" on coffee shops to check for digital copyright infractions. It's that open-ended.

I hate coming off sounding like a conspiracy theory nut. I swear I am going to have to move to the woods with shotguns and barbed wire around my shack and wait for the end.
    2001 Black Yamaha FZ1

Not wearing pants. Array klutch's Avatar
    Bike
    Schwinn with tassles
    This is pretty terrible. I spend last year working for CBSA doing just this kind of nonsensical bullshit. So much focus on taxation rather than security. I spent weeks learning how to tax people that were over their wine exemption limit and how to identify the value of those Nike Shox and their applicable import duties than I did on counter-terror operations or identifying northbound gang members.

Whether you support anti-piracy regs or not, this is a massive infringement of the rights of Canadian citizens - the denial of habeus corpus, assumption of guilt and conviction power granted to border officials will mean even more massive delays at the border and further trampling of our rights.