Steering drag??

Thread: Steering drag??

Bike
    none at the moment

Steering drag??

I just recently bought a Championship edition 2001 R6 from a private owner. Everything seemed fine until i noticed a really weird drag when making turns. The best way to explain it is, when i initiate a turn, the steering seems to wanna push the other way so it throws off my whole turn. i cant even do a full-lock turn cuz of this. I checked the forks they seem fine. At this point im clueless and i dont wanna take it to the repair shop right away cuz they might charge me an arm n a leg so i thought id hear from members here if they could possibly tell what is causing that.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

Swivel on it Array SkydiveSonic's Avatar
    Bike
    Chia
    Does it still push when the bike is stationary?
    If you wanna say something, speak into the mic. It's right above my balls.

Not Hanging Out Here Array Sailor's Avatar
    Bike
    1978 Twinstar 185
    Have the steering head bearings checked and re-torqued. My old FZR did this and the bearings were over tightened.
    I ride purely, and only, because it is fun.

I ride because I love freedom, independence, and the movement of the ground beneath me.

**author unknown**

Bike
    2006 Honda CBR 600RR
    my thoughts: (could be wrong )

1.) check your tire pressure to make sure it's not too low
    2.) the front suspension may be set up very stiff. I've found that with stiffer suspension, the bike will want to kick back and stand upright when you turn in. If it is a bit looser it will want to stay leaned over without much input.
    .()_()
    (o'.'o) Thanks to Twinbros Racing for my avatar!

Bike
    Kawasaki Land Rover and a liter-twin
    *** Moved to Tech ***

Bike
    none at the moment
    ok so i checked the tire pressure and that solved the problem but now i have a new problem that i hope someone can help me out.

My R6 seems to be shifting really hard. i hear and feel a loud clunk and sometimes it almost feels like its grinding. Ill try to do an oil change but if that doesnt solve the problem i dont know what to do next.

Registered User Array Son of Lars's Avatar
    Bike
    01 Honda RC51
    Quote Originally Posted by Haymura View Post
    ok so i checked the tire pressure and that solved the problem but now i have a new problem that i hope someone can help me out.

My R6 seems to be shifting really hard. i hear and feel a loud clunk and sometimes it almost feels like its grinding. Ill try to do an oil change but if that doesnt solve the problem i dont know what to do next.

Try adjusting the clutch cable. If the clutch isn't fully disengaging, it may cause a clunk in the gearbox.

Al

Bike
    none at the moment
    im reading through some threads and other forums regarding the loud clunk on R6's and even CBR's but is it really that loud and clunky? im scared to think that im grinding or possibly snapping something inside the gearbox.

As for Son of Lars reply i dont think its the clutch cable. i checked that earlier and it seems to engage all the way.

Swivel on it Array SkydiveSonic's Avatar
    Bike
    Chia
    Is there more of a problem with 2nd than the others? Those R6's are known for 2nd gear issues.
    If you wanna say something, speak into the mic. It's right above my balls.

Bike
    04 Kawi Z1000,
    It may well be the way you're shifting. If you're a reasonably new rider or you're seriously trying to baby your bike there's often a tendency to shift "carefully" where you distinctly separate the clutch and lever motions into separate actions. When you try to shift very cautiously and deliberatley this is when things go clunk and bang.

Bikes shift best when you do all the actions virtually all at once. The action of throttle roll off/clutch pull, lift shift lever, clutch out/throttle roll on need to be done sort of like a really fast flow that lasts about as long as a sneeze. Also there's no need to pull the clutch in all the way to the bars when you shift. 1/4 to 1/3 of the way is easily enough to disengage it far enough to shift. Done right the lever almost jumps up into the next gear on its own with extremely little effort. If you find it's clunking or the shift lever is fighting you then alter your method of shifting. Each bike has its own pace to shifting that results in a smooth shift and part of a new bike is learning to accomadate to that.

If you just can't find this sweet spot at all then take it into a Yamaha shop and have it checked out. If the mechanic takes it for a ride and says there's nothing wrong then you're not altering your shifting to match the bike's needs well enough.

My own Z1000 has one of the notchiest and clunkiest gear boxes I've ever had. Even now, 4 years into ownership, if I'm distracted or get lazy it'll reward me with a clunk now and then.
    A backyard mechanic without a service manual is just like a hooker without a lamp pole.... they are both in the dark.