Recommendations for a hotel in Portland and / or nice roads in Oregon

Thread: Recommendations for a hotel in Portland and / or nice roads in Oregon

Crotch Rocket Scientist Array penumbra604's Avatar
    2001 Yamaha FZ1

Recommendations for a hotel in Portland and / or nice roads in Oregon

My lady and I are taking a 4-day bike trip through the Pacific Northwest and need to stay in Portland overnight. We'd like something with secure, covered parking obviously - economical would be good, too but that might be asking way too much.

We're going to hit up Crater Lake and some of the other scenic areas. We didn't quite have time to make it to California for some touring but we've always wanted to see the Caldera Lake and have some friends in Portland.

If you have any good road recommendations for Oregon, please send them along. We're keep our itinerary very loose so we have time to do some scenic touring.

2001 Black Yamaha FZ1

Moderator Array CoolDaddyGroove's Avatar
    New West
    2014 Kawasaki ZX14R
    Head West toward the coast and hit highway 101 and head South. Even if its only for a couple of hours, the road is great, views spectacular, and you can even stop at some of the view points and watch the sea lions on the rocks. It can be quite a bit colder on the coast than in Portland.

White Rock
    Ninja 1000
    just do a search on bcsb for 'Oregon'

There is some pretty good links out there. One has a complete summary of all the good roads in Oregon via a Google Map.

New West
    I stayed in Portland on a road trip last year, and had a tough time finding a room....buddy and me stayed across the street from this place:

It was rockin....old school motel, updated to be funky...very retro, 60's style. They had a party going on in the courtyard with a band, and we snuck over to check it out.

It's located just across the bridge from downtown...less than a 5 min drive/ride. Seemed like a very social place, if you like to meet people, and chill outside.

Registered User Array Commuter Boy's Avatar
    Suzuki Bandit
    Some of the McMenamins properties are pretty funky, and reasonable. I usually stay with friends in Portland. If you want a fancy place try the Heathman downtown. There's a great boutique hotel in Astoria called the Elliott.

Hit both sides of Mt. St. Helens and the back roads around Cougar on the north side of the Columbia. It's way more scenic than Crater Lake IMNSHO.