BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

Communication Device

2K views 18 replies 4 participants last post by  REVELATIONS 
#1 ·
What communication device do you recommend buying for riding? Do they considerably take away from sounds around or can you still hear the semi skidding towards you?

#2 ·
Do a search on the site under "communicator", "collett" and "*FRS*"....
(the search engine doesent recognize less that 4 characters)

This subject has been extensivley studied and analyzed...with various people having varied opinions....you'll ultimatley have to decide for yourself what your needs are and how much you wish to spend.
But you should find more than enough information on this site to help you out.....

I myself am currently shopping for one as well. I just cant decide whether to get a PTT (push to talk mic) FRS or a -GOOD- VOX activated, premium price commanding, 900 Mhz unit (Collett).

:rider

#4 ·
hey guys.. two questions

1.) can FRS systems work with each other... Motorolla & Cobra for example
2.) where is the best place to buy this stuff.

and one more thing, in the race car busines, we use in ear mini headphones. basically they are ear plugs with a tiny speaker. im sure you could splice in a connector and use these? they cost from about $15-$50 us. but i only know how to get them in the us. im looking for radio stores here though

#5 ·
1) Yes, if its an FRS, they are all compatible with each other

2) Wherever you can get good deals future shop radio shack, Ebay..... Be aware of some the limitations for each model, esp. when it comes to VOX or PTT mics.
For instance Panasonic FRS radios with headsets are too quiet for motorcycling....they apperantly have this volume limiting feature that activates when you plug in headphones.

I like that inner ear speaker idea.....

G
#6 ·
The Setup I'm using is a Motorola T6310 with a Jabra 2 Way Boom Mic Headset that has PTT (Push-To-Talk) and VOX (Voice Activation).

The Jabra Headset isn't working so well for me at the moment. The Headset doesn't fit comfortable inside my helmet, hurts my ear sometimes. The PTT switch is too small to use with motocycle gloves on. The VOX only works well at city speeds (Uh that's under 80 km/h for me.....depending on your own defination of City Speed), but I had to put on all three microphone sponge covers. At speed higher than 90km/h it just constantly transmitts.

I'm going to try and get more mic sponge cover to see if it helps. Also if you have a loud pipe like my bro has, it's going to make it transmit a lot.

As for the Motorola T6310, works great. You probably don't need such a fancy-dancy expensive 2way radio for just transmitting and receiving though.

Hope this info helps

#7 ·
G
#9 ·
Blitz Wing said:
The Setup I'm using is a Motorola T6310 with a Jabra 2 Way Boom Mic Headset that has PTT (Push-To-Talk) and VOX (Voice Activation).

The Jabra Headset isn't working so well for me at the moment. The Headset doesn't fit comfortable inside my helmet, hurts my ear sometimes. The PTT switch is too small to use with motocycle gloves on. The VOX only works well at city speeds (Uh that's under 80 km/h for me.....depending on your own defination of City Speed), but I had to put on all three microphone sponge covers. At speed higher than 90km/h it just constantly transmitts.

I'm going to try and get more mic sponge cover to see if it helps. Also if you have a loud pipe like my bro has, it's going to make it transmit a lot.

As for the Motorola T6310, works great. You probably don't need such a fancy-dancy expensive 2way radio for just transmitting and receiving though.

Hope this info helps

Blitz: One of my "homebrew" solutions was like yours and I epoxied a "blob" of glue on the PTT switch to make it big and distinct enough to feel through motorcycle gloves. I also cut the finger off an old worn-out gore-tex ski glove and put that over the mic. Made a big difference...much better than using the sponge covers that came with it. It's still a mickey-mouse solution compared to the Motocomm units though...

Silver: Given we're Canadians...$200+ just for earplugs sounds a tad pricey...and might be overkill for normal riding.

Darkstar: I went from PTT on the cord to PTT on the handlebar and found a huge difference. The cord-PTT just takes too much concentration.

Byron

#10 ·
actually.. i can get them for cheaper... the drivers on our team both use this style for racing and they but them for $20-$50 US.

which is about half. i am trying to see if they can get me a pair.

but it is DEFINITLY the most comfortable solutions and will prevent hearing loss too!

G
#12 ·
actually.. i can get them for cheaper... the drivers on our team both use this style for racing and they but them for $20-$50 US. which is about half. i am trying to see if they can get me a pair.
$50 US ends up being at least $100 Canadian with exchange and taxes (even if duty free). Plus one still needs a mic and transmitting setup. The package is not going to be cheap. Funny how the FRS radio ends up being the cheapest component eh? :)

but it is DEFINITLY the most comfortable solutions and will prevent hearing loss too!
I don't quite follow...normal earplugs and helmet speakers are comfortable and prevent hearing loss. I don't see how this is any better in that regard? Anyway I agree these are probably the best setup for listening because they should work to the highest possible speeds. Keep us informed how you make out!

By the way, what will you use for the mic and transmission control? You need to be able to take your helmet on/off without hassle and need to be able to transmit without hassle too. Not sure what you are planning there. What do your race car drivers do?

#13 ·
i will be using the same setup that is required for wiring up a race helmet. if you go to the RACE-Tech site, they have a suggested installation method for their systems.

i will be using a mic from a cell phone boom mic. and then i will splice in connectors.

this style of radio seyup is used in EVERY full face helmet i can think of used in racing. and yes, it has been tested at extreme speeds like INDY or NASCAR. that is why the system is expensive. but once you buy it, you can transfer from helmet to helmet. but it takes some time to re-wire, so this is like a permanent install untill you buy a new helmet.

#14 ·
I prefer FRS over Collete's as the radio's can be used outside a helmet as well.

I just heard back from the people at MotoComm ( http://www.motocomm.com ). They are going to send me two Demo units to review (if I like them, I'll have to buy them or I send them back).

I think their setup with any FRS radio is the way to go. (By the way the Panasonic KX-TR320 is still half price at London Drugs)

Jim.

#15 ·
hey Big Jim, that is a very kewl system... i had forgotten about them.

where are they located? is that in $US?

i wouldnt mind using this system, and wiring in the connector for earmolds.

this sounds like a better plan!

G
#17 ·
Big Jim said:
I think their setup with any FRS radio is the way to go. (By the way the Panasonic KX-TR320 is still half price at London Drugs)

Jim.
Jim...do these particular Panasonics limit the volume with a headset? The ones I tried a year ago did. If so then bad choice for use on a motorbike...but these may be different.

#18 ·
BCRider99 said:
Jim...do these particular Panasonics limit the volume with a headset? The ones I tried a year ago did. If so then bad choice for use on a motorbike...but these may be different.
Byron,

I have the KX-TR325C (The Silver one, the Blue one is the 320). It didn't come with a headset, but when I hook up a set of stereo headphones, volume level seems loud enough at level 1. The volume goes up to level 8 (hitting monitor hurts the ear :))

Jim.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.