Anyone use a straight blade razor?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Anyone use a straight blade razor?

Bike
    Black F2, 01 GSXR 600 - Race

Anyone use a straight blade razor?

I've always wondered about the straight blade razor, anyone use one to shave with on a regular basis? How do you like them?

I know the upfront cost is quite a bit, but in the long run its probably cheaper, does take longer to shave although, which I don't mind.

Any one know a shop that sells them? or where to find them in the valley? I don't want to buy off the Internet, I'd like to handle some before making a purchase.

Thanks a lot
    Lets Jump

Registered User Array Commuter Boy's Avatar
    Bike
    Suzuki Bandit
    Too much work. Used to use my great grandfather's old one for a few years. The lathering ritual and keeping it sharp is a PITA.

These days if I want a real straight razor shave I got to my barber, he's got a shop in Yaletown, rides a GS, usually has a Ducati or two in the shop for people to drool over. He does the whole 9 yards with the oils and hot towels.

Farzhad's Barber Shop.

The Comedy is in the Back Array Saturnin's Avatar
    Bike
    bro, do you even ride in a straight line? #1 asshole
    Throttle Trauma 3 - Stunt riding documentary - digital download - visit Asphaltjunkiez.com
    The world is a tragedy to those who feel, but a comedy to those who think.

Bike
    2007 Repsol CBR1000RR
    I have one. It's not for shaving.

Brain my damaged. Array R1_Test pilot's Avatar
    Bike
    '10 Victory Jackpot, 09 R1, triumph comming soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by UnToldFox View Post
    I've always wondered about the straight blade razor, anyone use one to shave with on a regular basis? How do you like them?

I know the upfront cost is quite a bit, but in the long run its probably cheaper, does take longer to shave although, which I don't mind.

Any one know a shop that sells them? or where to find them in the valley? I don't want to buy off the Internet, I'd like to handle some before making a purchase.

Thanks a lot
    Try House of Knives..Seen a few in there. I use one, and I had an old barber teach me how to sharpen it...You have to keep it sharp, or you will need a tampon to stop the blood. I used a balloon and shaving creme to practice before it went need my face or the GF sausage holder. Once the balloon no longer pops you are good to go....

Bike
    1984 GPz 750
    Quote Originally Posted by R1_Test pilot View Post
    Try House of Knives..Seen a few in there. I use one, and I had an old barber teach me how to sharpen it...You have to keep it sharp, or you will need a tampon to stop the blood. I used a balloon and shaving creme to practice before it went need my face or the GF sausage holder. Once the balloon no longer pops you are good to go....
    Is it really that hard to use a straight razor? Ive been using Williams shaving pucks and a brush for years now with the intention of going to straight razor.

The Guy with the N Array
    Bike
    '89 600 CBR Huricane
    Quote Originally Posted by R1_Test pilot View Post
    Aren't those ones like the crapy Zeepk razors?

Moderator Array CoolDaddyGroove's Avatar
    Bike
    2014 Kawasaki ZX14R
    I've used them, and it takes some serious skill to to get a shave CLOSER than a safety razor, and I don't think you will ever come close to what an experienced barber can do.
    DON'T STUFF THE CAGERS!

Bike
    2001 919
    c'mon where is the "bikers shave ?" reply ?
    Ride naked !!!

Bike
    Ninja 1000
    I was in Las Vegas at the Art of Shaving when I had the full straight edge shave. It's great, the whole process takes an hour. If we were to do it on our own, it would probably take 20-30min for a great shave. The safety razors do a great job for the minimal time. But the 'cool' factor definitely goes to the straight edge.

Bike
    FJarrrrrrr!
    Quote Originally Posted by elevation View Post
    But the 'cool' factor definitely goes to the straight edge.
    Unless you have an audience when you shave, what cool factor is there? Are you supposed to strategically bring it up in general conversation to tell people?

Bike
    Sold my bike to fund school :(
    Quote Originally Posted by CHIA View Post
    Unless you have an audience when you shave, what cool factor is there? Are you supposed to strategically bring it up in general conversation to tell people?
    Yeah really

"Ok, so I'll meet you at 10:30...no wait, I need to shave, can we make it 11?"

Bike
    Ninja 1000
    Quote Originally Posted by CHIA View Post
    haha. You got me there. No one has to be around to see that the straight edge is a little more impressive than the tiny, little vibrating safety razor I have. So yes, I would strategically bring it up in conversations.

Bike
    2004 kawi 636
    I have way too much of an under beard to wanna go at my neck with a straight edge.
    Mach 3 turbo ftw!

Bike
    FJarrrrrrr!
    Quote Originally Posted by elevation View Post
    haha. You got me there. No one has to be around to see that the straight edge is a little more impressive than the tiny, little vibrating safety razor I have. So yes, I would strategically bring it up in conversations.
    Well, in my case, I guess my friends would ask my wife why I was in the hospital, and then she'd reply, he slit his throat trying a straight blade, and they would reply....COOOOL!