V4 /Vtwin question

Thread: V4 /Vtwin question

Registered User Array
    Suzuki gs500

V4 /Vtwin question

I have been riding my 500cc for a year and I am looking to get myself a 600cc soon.

I am looking at CBR and SV. I wonder what are the advantages and disadvantages of the different engine designs.

2. Remove Advertisements

one word:

V twins of similar displacement of inline 4 generally have more torque and less HP.
    Most V twins owners have them because they love the sound.
    Also with a V-Twin you don't ride what almost everybody else rides.

Oh, and you save on spark plugs too

p.s." Did I tell you that my V Twin is for sale?"
    R.I.P #48 Shoya Tomizawa (December 10, 1990 – September 5, 2010)
    R.I.P. #58 Marco Simoncelli (January 20, 1987 – October 23, 2011)

New West
    The Vtwin will have you shifting gears less, and is typically more city friendly. The smaller I4's are rev happy, and don't typically perform great until you wind em up a lot more.

In fairness, those are very different bikes, the engines being only one difference.The SV will also be more comfy in terms of ergos, the CBR is pretty much race oriented.

Both engines are very well proven, and reliable, the nod going to the SV for easier home maintenance. The SV has a stronger following in terms of the masses, and tends to appeal to both experienced and newer riders, which will be an advantage when it comes to resale.....many people like the sport bike, but don't want a full supersport.

And as Shovelhead mentioned...the sound....sweet sound of the Vtwin is music to many people's ears....they have a character that the typical I4's just can't touch.

When Gophers attack Array Onegear's Avatar
    Metro Vancouver
    73 CB350R, 06 DRZ-400SM
    Any thing more then 2 cyl on a sport bike is extra rotating mass, too.
    I had a SV for a few years loved it. I like the useable power and the engine braking. The sound is great. it has some quirks like the rear will grab a bit if you downshift two gears and dump the clutch. a great 65 to 70 hp bike

The CBR is a nice reliable sportbike that is pretty refined almost on the edge of safe, no real quirks, like the killer strong powerband power delivery of an R6 a couple of generations ago, or the rattly crazy dry clutch sounds of a Ducati. or the cheap look of some of the SV's components(forks of the 1st gen carbed S models). Just typical honda engineering. the I 4 revs quicker and higher and produces almost double the HP 100-110 with less displacement.

Can't go wrong with either, and neither is a V4. you will have to look at a RC30 or a VFR 750, VFR 800 for that.

Danger Zone!
    The inline will stomp allover a V-twin in both power and torque. It's going to be lighter too.

The V-twin will astound you on wet pavement. If you're going to be out in the rain then it'll suck the headlight out of the four without frying your brain.

Not Hanging Out Here Array Sailor's Avatar
    1978 Twinstar 185
    buy a v4 and ride it. OH like mine, which is for sale BTW. You can get a nice V8 sound out of it and still hang with some 600's.
    I ride purely, and only, because it is fun.

I ride because I love freedom, independence, and the movement of the ground beneath me.

**author unknown**

Registered User Array djbrickhouse's Avatar
    I have a 2004 SV650S and love it. I agree, the torque is usable throughout the range so I shift less and the bike is city friendly but is fun at speed as well. The engine braking is also really nice, the engine does all the work for me on the way up and the way down.

I found these, I am not sure of the year or how reliable they are, but they present some interesting results and may promote discussion:

Langley, BC
    None right now...
    Nobody pointed out that the CBR isn't a V4?

Find a used VFR750. The gear-driven cams mean no cam chain tensioner troubles, *ever*, and they sound like no other bike on the road. 1995-1997 is still the best bang-for-the-buck VFR out there.
    My Picasa Album

Just Another Enthusiast Array vrecksler's Avatar
    Naked SV
    Quote Originally Posted by Spike View Post
    Find a used VFR750. The gear-driven cams mean no cam chain tensioner troubles, *ever*, and they sound like no other bike on the road. 1995-1997 is still the best bang-for-the-buck VFR out there.

I had a 1993 VFR, and a 1995 VFR, and they were wicked bikes. Gear whine is a very cool sound if you have not heard it, as is a pipped V4 engine, but aside from acoustics they are great all around bikes. And other than a suspect regulator/rectifier, they are as bulletproof as you can get.

As thrilled as I was with the VFR's, I now ride an SV. I find I prefer its lower weight and quicker turning, but I still have the benefits of the V-powered engine.

I say ride a couple and see what you like best as both are great options.

B-r-a-d-l-e-y...Why? Because I'm Bradley!

CBR600RR / RVT1000 RC51
    CRF 230 BSA 650
    Have a look at the Triumph Street Triple 675. It's got quite a bit more motor than an SV650.