Carbon fiber or Titanium
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Carbon fiber or Titanium

Fuelled by rice Array racerboy88's Avatar
    Bike
    Derbi

Carbon fiber or Titanium

What kind of experience have people had? Good? Bad? with the Carbon fiber? The responses will help me decide what I will get for a slip-on for my bike.
    02 R1- stolen Nov 24/02

Hang Thieves

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

Vicious Little Tree Rat Array squirly's Avatar
    Bike
    I like Ti because it adds to the lines of the bike in terms of the continuance of metal. Nice to see shiny metal from the engine to the back end. I hope this make sense.

CFRP is a nice light touch, but if you (God forbid) damage it during a drop, the structural integrity of the pipe can be compromised (i.e. leaks, and therefore loss of back pressure resulting in loss of power). I could be talking out of my ass on this one, but I know that if you dent/cut CFRP, it is far less strong. Coming strictly from a materials poit of view.

They will probably sound different. And that is usually a personal preference.

Good Luck and Godspeed!

Bomax Motorsports
    i like the ti,the only carbon i actually havent seen discolour is the akro's,and with carbon you really shouldnt dyno your bike.

glowing ghostie! Array gordopolis's Avatar
    Bike
    I have kids
    Someone once told me that titanium was nature's "cleanest metal", meaning it sheds the dirt and grime easily. Can anyone comment?

Bike
    sumfing nekkid
    Originally posted by Bomax Motorsports
    i like the ti,the only carbon i actually havent seen discolour is the akro's,and with carbon you really shouldnt dyno your bike.
    John, what about my yosh .......it was just a little dirty.

I had a Yosh RS-3 Race Carbon on my '00-750. As for what it does hp wise is marginal. If you want to shine up carbon when it starts to dull out, use a little tire cleaner (no touch) on a rag and wipe it down. It brings the shine out like its new even though mine was 3 years old with about 35k on it. I bought mine for the sound more then anything. As far as slip-ons go, it was also an appearance thing as opposed to a power mod. If I had the choice again, the Ti would be the choice for me now.
    Ride in peace my friends...

Being a road crayon sucks....put your gear between you and the pavement.

WTD: Hot girls with low morals. Own transportation a plus. Sufferers of yellow fever considered first. PM/email me for details.

`bertR1`
    Go with Ti...email me if you want a deal on exhausts...I got some sources that are dirt cheap...Almost any make...

Vicious Little Tree Rat Array squirly's Avatar
    Bike
    Originally posted by gordopolis
    Someone once told me that titanium was nature's "cleanest metal", meaning it sheds the dirt and grime easily. Can anyone comment?
    Titanium is a pretty inert metal element. Mainly, due to the already existing TiO2 (Titanium Oxide) passive layer that coats it. This is the reason why Titanium doesn't stain or "rust". Its "rust" or oxide layer IS the TiO2 layer. It's kinda like it's own galvanizing. Ti is strong and light, but you already know that. But, because it's so strong, it tends to keep its shape better under loading, i.e. it's modulus of resilience is high. It is less likely to warp under cyclic barometric loading and/or expansion/contraction from cyclic thermal stress.

Titanium may apear to be a bit duller than, say, Stainless Steel. It's mainly due to the TiO2 layer. This is the same stuff paint companies use to make "White". Hence, the duller look.

I just think it looks prettier than CFRP.

Last edited by squirly; 01-15-2003 at 12:10 PM.
    Good Luck and Godspeed!

Registered User Array Good old Pete's Avatar
    Bike
    2010 Z1000
    Carbon is a great mellow lower sound BUT it will fade in the sun. 2 years after purchase it looks lighter in colour.
    When speeding run from the cops, it's a lesser infraction.

Bike
    98 Suzuki TLS
    Wow, I didn't know that Carbon had different sound characteristics.

I do know that Carbon will fade in sunlight and is succeptible color change due to heat. This is why bikes with CF pipes shouldn't be dynoed.

I have heard that Ti has it's own distinct sound as well...'throatier'? Not sure what that means exactly.

Bike
    05 Gixxer 1000 LE Supermoto: 07 DRZ400SM Dirt: 09 Kawasaki KX450F Monster Ed. 07 Custom Chopper
    Correct me if I'm wrong but on carbon pipes, its just a sleeve of carbon over a metal canister. So if you drop either a Ti or carbon it wont matter same effects will result. I have never heard or seen CF discolor as someone mentioned. One bonus to a CF canister is that it doesn't get hot. My friend had one on his R6 and no matter how long he rode the canister wouldn't get HOT, just warm. You could actually grab it after a long ride, it could even stay running.

When it comes down to it, CF or Ti is your choice, I believe both are just sleeves over and aluminum canister, look at both, maybe some of the other members can post pics of both for you to look at too.
    Mayor Of "Poserville"

<----- Current Avatart Is *NWS*

Kawi=Junk™, Honda=Boring™, Suzuki=Wannabes™, Yamaha=Posers™, Ducati=Overrated™, Aprilia=Insecure™, BMW=Compensation™, Harley Davidson=Garbage™, Buell=See Harley™

Bomax Motorsports
    actually its just a carbon tube no aluminum under it,thats what makes it so lite.and titanium runs hot,but it cools super fast after you shut off your bike.

Bike
    look at the pipes on my bike if you wanna see what sunlight and high revs do to carbon. It feel very brittle, there is a big gaping hole under my right pipe, and it has changed color. I'm gonna try and do what AtomLowe said and use tire cleaner on it to see if it brings the shine back. I'll take before/after pics when I attempt it.
    BCSB- Moderator

Bike
    750, 600, 400
    I have an Arrow carbon pipe and it hasn't faded after aprox. 20k. I like the sound and look on my bike alot better then TI but there are certain bikes that look much better with Ti IMO.

I really like that the CF pipes don't get hot and they sound mean.

Registered User Array Good old Pete's Avatar
    Bike
    2010 Z1000
    Have a look at my pipe as well for lighter colour, it use to be near black/grey now its just grey.
    When speeding run from the cops, it's a lesser infraction.

Fuelled by rice Array racerboy88's Avatar
    Bike
    Derbi

fade

I had a friend with a yosh slip-on and it turned grey as well.
    I've been told that it depends on the quality of the carbon fiber that the company uses.
    02 R1- stolen Nov 24/02

Hang Thieves