BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

New tire question

975 views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  bandito 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi, I just bought a used bike, and it needs a new front tire. I could get a good deal on a 120/70 ZR17. However the bike is suppose to have a 120/60 ZR17. This a big deal?

Thanks.

#3 ·
Not a big deal. The proper way to compensate for it is to loosen the triple clamps and slide the forks up about 6 to 7 mm's to compensate for the differences in diameter. But chances are you won't feel enough of a change other than the good ones from having a new tire to notice it.

Also it's hard to believe that the rear isn't near being toast as well. Mix them for now but plan on getting a matching rear pretty soon. The bike will be rideable as it is but it'll feel that much better with a matched set of new rubber. Tires make a huge difference in how our bikes feel.

#5 ·
A few buddy's of mine that have been riding 10-30 years have told me I should get a new tire soon, so I'm just going by that, plus the inspection that was done on it was about 2,000km ago.

Sounds pretty similiar to changing car tires, which is a solid 5 procedure with the right equiptment. Thanks for the heads up, will probably bring it in this weekend.

#6 ·
If you're leaving on a trip like that a new donut is a wise investment. Front end traction for both cornering and braking will be better with the new rubber.

Forget about doing your own. As mentioned you need some serious stuff to do the work. It's usually around $15 to $20 to mount and balance if you bring just the wheels in. It's well over that if you just bring the bike in and they have to take the wheels off and do the work.

If you dismount your own wheels then remember that they do NOT want your axle spacers in the rubber dust seals. Take those out to avoid loosing them. There's only the friction of the rubber seals holding them in place.

A ratchet style tie down strap or two tossed over an open garage truss works like a charm to hold up the front end. Just loop it around your upper triple clamp then ratchet the front off the ground.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.