just bought a 2001 v-star 650 custom - maintenance?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: just bought a 2001 v-star 650 custom - maintenance?

Registered User Array
    Bike
    V-Star 650

just bought a 2001 v-star 650 custom - maintenance?

Hi Everyone,

I just bought a 2001 v-star 650 custom. It has 20,000kms on it and has been sitting outdoors at the dealership since Fall 2007. I'm wondering what sort of maintenance I should get done on it right away? Should I take it to a service garage for a full tune up? Are there any parts in particular that I should ask to be checked or replaced? Battery, fluids, for example? Anything I should try to service myself? (I have no car or motorcycle maintenance experience, although I plan to take a course this year) How much can I expect to pay for a checkup/tune-up?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

Bike
    FJarrrrrrr!
    Did the dealer where it was sitting not take care of any maintenance before you bought it?

Do you have any service records or history, detailing oil changes, etc?

Registered User Array
    Bike
    V-Star 650
    I actually haven't taken delivery of it yet. I was told they would clean it up, and tighten up some of the levers I felt needed it. I asked for service records but they weren't sure if they had any. I'll be getting it tonight and they'll bring any records they have. My guess is that whomever sold it to them did not provide very detailed records.

Bike
    FJarrrrrrr!
    Well, it's up to the dealer to take care of the basics before selling it, and at very least, they should do an oil change, and would have checked it over.

That said, it's up to you, as a buyer, to negotiate these things, so I'd suggest asking the question.

Old Dirty Bastard Array masonjarz's Avatar
    Bike
    Looking for the next one
    No service records? I call bullshit. Maybe they haven't done any service to it but if they have, then there are records.

A dealer should be happy to move a unit that has been sitting for a while and should at least do a basic service as part of the deal.

Registered User Array
    Bike
    V-Star 650
    I just talked to them. They said they can't throw in even an oil change since they were selling it at a loss at this time. I was watching the prices and they slashed $1000 off the price just last week. I'll take it to a shop tomorrow and have it looked at. They did throw in a 30-day limited warranty. I guess I'll have to see how it turns out.

Registered User Array
    Bike
    SV650
    a used bike w/ 20,000kms, I doubt they sold it to you at a loss. I bet if you are willing to walk away from the deal, they'll want to throw in that oil change... Just a thought...

Registered User Array
    Bike
    V-Star 650
    I guess I'll have to remember that next time before I give them my money

$3999
    came with saddlebags, floorboards, passing lamps, and windshield.

Bike
    FJarrrrrrr!
    Quote Originally Posted by thenewguy001 View Post
    I guess I'll have to remember that next time before I give them my money

$3999
    came with saddlebags, floorboards, passing lamps, and windshield.
    I found my buddy a 2005 with low miles, saddlebags, jacket, pants, 2 helmets, gloves, and cover for $4300....trust me, they aren't losing any money on that 7 year old bike.

Registered User Array
    Bike
    V-Star 650
    well, he got a heck of a deal then. Bought in the off season?

I did a lot of shopping around and this was a lot cheaper than most of the private and dealer ads for similar models with less accessories, and more kms. I did see some better deals for newer models at international motorsports, but I missed them by a few days. .
    Last edited by thenewguy001; 07-04-2008 at 07:15 PM.

Bike
    FJarrrrrrr!
    Quote Originally Posted by thenewguy001 View Post
    well, he got a heck of a deal then. Bought in the off season?

I did a lot of shopping around and this was a lot cheaper than most of the private and dealer ads for similar models with less accessories, and more kms. I did see some better deals at international motorsports, but I missed them by a few days. .
    bought about 2.5 months ago, so a little off, but not winter.

Rain-or-shine commuter Array geobeck's Avatar
    Bike
    Honda 599
    Sounds like you didn't buy a bike; you bought an endless series of service appointments. No service records should = no deal. If it's been less than 7 days since you put your money on the table (the cooling off period in BC), you can rescind the transaction.

And there's no such thing as selling at a loss. They're selling at the depreciated value of the bike (or most likely a little higher). It may be less than they paid the seller (although that's doubtful), but it's not a 'loss'.

Bike
    04 Kawi Z1000,
    Many, many bikes don't have service records so I wouldn't sweat that issue. To have a service history the owner would need to save all the work order invoices and I'll bet that if they do they don't get passed on with the bike. Especially if the owner traded it to a dealer.

You can get a pretty good idea from the oil level sight window or dip stick about how fresh the oil is. It should be clear or the color of olive oil in the sight glass. Any darker and I'd suggest you do your own oil and filter change just to be sure.

A bike that's sat for that long deserves to have the brake systems flushed with fresh fluid as well. Especially if it has spent a significant degree of that time period out of doors. This isn't really something I would leave for too long. Old fluid can behave badly and leads to internal corrosion or gumming up. Brake fluid actually sucks moisture out of the air right past the seals. It needs to be flushed on a performance bike at LEAST every two years and on your cruiser every two is fine.

And somewhere fairly soon, but no panic, I'd suggest changing the rear drive oil as well. Again, much time outdoors spells some condensation in there and if the bike is in for other servicing then doing that item is a small extra charge.

From there just try to be aware of things that don't seem quite right. Like a notichiness in the steering that indicates issues in the steering head. And if the tires are really old even if they have tread on them plan on a new set somewhere reasonably soon. Rubber hardens up from exposure over time and by the time they are 3 years old they won't grip like new rubber and that little extra may be just what you need at some point. If they look really flat spotted in the rear, has ragged and uneven front tread, may have some cracking in the rubber down in the corners of the tread grooves and is the original spec tires that came on the bike it may even have the original rubber on it. It IS a cruiser and 20K on a set of cruiser tires is not unreasonable at all. If that's the case then get new shoes for her SOON! ! ! ! At this point the originals are well past their "best before" date by a long shot.

The Yami 650 Classic IS a classic. It's a very nicely put together bike and it sounds like you've got some nice add ons. I've never heard anything bad about them other than a lack of power. But for what it is the power is about right. It's not a lack in the engine but rather just a fact of the size, style of bike and the shaft drive that's not quite as efficient a trasfer method as a chain. But in return you get a VERY low maintainence bike.

Enjoy it and plan on some trips this summer. It's got all the bits and pieces for it and there is NOTHING like touring the back roads of BC and Washington on a bike. And backroads is where it's at for motorcycles.

There's dozens of small things you can do on any bike yourself that do not require a serious level of mechanical knowledge. Oil changes are one item, checking your clutch lever on a regular basis for proper free play is another. Inspecting your brakes to make sure you still have enough pad thickness. Oil level a couple of times between changes to monitor the level. Your coolant level in the reservoir bottle. Cleaning and lubing your chain (YOU can skip this part... ). General inspections where you look over the bike looking for stuff that is out of place like loose or missing bolts and screws, COvers that are wobbly, a tight exhaust system, grab the top of the tires and shake them side to side with gusto while trying to feel for clicks or movement that indicate worn wheel bearings or worn or loose swingarm bearings or bad fork bushings. Removing your own wheels to take them in for new tires. You can save some decent bucks on labour that way and get to know the bike that much better.

If you want to try some of these then I heartily recomend a service manual for your bike. Being as you're innocent in the Ways of the Wrench I'd suggest a Haynes or Clymer. They lead you through the process and toss in hints as they go compared to a factory manual where they write them at a level suited for a mechanic that already knows a lot.
    Last edited by TeeTee; 07-04-2008 at 09:40 PM.
    A backyard mechanic without a service manual is just like a hooker without a lamp pole.... they are both in the dark.

Bike
    It's a marvel of engineering
    Hey Bruce,
    I'm surprised that you haven't put something like this into a sticky, or even the Wiki(if anybody still uses it). I've noticed that Bjorn has some links in his sticky that are quite useful.

Just a thought.
    Cheers!
    Catching a Yellow Jacket in your shirt @ 70mph can double your vocabulary

Bike
    04 Kawi Z1000,
    I may flesh it out a little and do that but it'll be over in Tech if it gets stickied anywhere.

Hey all you new riders. This IS the forum for asking about new rider issues. But I also invite you all to post technical questions in the Bike Tech and Mods area where the questions belong. You may be green at wrenching but it's still the correct forum for tech issues.
    A backyard mechanic without a service manual is just like a hooker without a lamp pole.... they are both in the dark.