wrist pain/numb fingers?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: wrist pain/numb fingers?

I like traffic cones :S Array made Man's Avatar
    Bike
    rsv4r

wrist pain/numb fingers?

well, just rode back from my mst (which i passed... for the 2nd fucking time) and i was getting a bit of a sore wrist and fingers were going numb. Is that normal and will eventually go away as i ride more, or do i need to look into higher bars/different grips?
    "Honda = Boring, Suzuki = Wannabes, Yamaha = Poser, Ducati = Overated, BMW = Compensating, Aprilia = Insecure, Buell = BCIT business... go faKOffee." - PUREVIL

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

Swivel on it Array SkydiveSonic's Avatar
    Bike
    Chia
    Make sure your clutch and brake levers are in line with your arm. If they're too high, you'll have to bend your wrist back and over time it'll cause that numbness.

When you're riding, try gripping the tank more with your legs, keep your back straighter. This helps keep your weight off your wrists too. You should be doing this anyway as a tight grip on the bars is a bad thing.
    If you wanna say something, speak into the mic. It's right above my balls.

Bike
    bike
    Gloves are probably to tight or pinching and cutting off circulation. Try riding for a while with no gloves on and see if the problem ceases. If so, then it is your gloves that are the problem.
    Too sexy for this forum.

Becoming Insane Array CorvetteBoy's Avatar
    Bike
    Nagasaki XXRR
    Quote Originally Posted by adam112 View Post
    Gloves are probably to tight or pinching and cutting off circulation. Try riding for a while with no gloves on and see if the problem ceases.
    Is that how you found out you needed "M" and not "S" when it came to your underoos?

Hey, have you noticed that ChavezR6 is hosting another BCSB online flea market?

Bike
    FJarrrrrrr!
    Common prob for newbs who tend to grip too tightly...cramps, soreness, and numbness will all start to go away once you relax, and loosen up on the grips....it will take some time, but it will happen.

Bike
    2011 CBR 1000rr ABS

you need to find a girlfriend.....

Quote Originally Posted by made Man View Post
    well, just rode back from my mst (which i passed... for the 2nd fucking time) and i was getting a bit of a sore wrist and fingers were going numb. Is that normal and will eventually go away as i ride more, or do i need to look into higher bars/different grips?

I was gonna say you need to get out more..before I read your thread

Fuelled by rice Array racerboy88's Avatar
    Bike
    Derbi
    loosen up that kung fu grip
    02 R1- stolen Nov 24/02

Hang Thieves

Beer League Racer/Asshole Array SnoDragon's Avatar
    Bike
    MTS1200S
    Yep, if you relax you don't get numb.
    WMRC #42
    Sponsors:
    MSpeed Performance
    Motorcycle World
    RMR Suspensions

~If you can't change your situation, change your attitude. If you can't change your attitude, change your situation~

Bike
    04 Kawi Z1000,
    Up to a point they are right. Relax, it'll help a lot.

Check your clutch and brake levers too. When you're in your riding position you sould be able to extend your arms and fingers and with your palms on the tops of the grips and your forearm, hand and fingers in a seriously straight line (no cheating here) the figners should just barely be touching the levers. That way your tendons are all in line.

If this is a serous class of sportbike then you are putting a lot of weight on your wrists. One way to cut the issue is to learn to lightly but firmly grip the tank with your knees and tense your stomach muscles to remove a portion of the weight from your wrists. It's about finding a balance in this.

But if your bike is one of the racy 600's from the last two to three years then there isn't much hope. I've sat on them and the only way the bars on these bikes make sense is when you're in a laid over the tank crouch much like you'd have going through turn 1 at any of the major race tracks. When sitting up in a normal street posture the clip on angles are all whonky and kink your wrist into a very odd sideways angle guaranteed to produce pain, suffering and likely carpal tunnel syndrome.
    A backyard mechanic without a service manual is just like a hooker without a lamp pole.... they are both in the dark.

Beer League Racer/Asshole Array SnoDragon's Avatar
    Bike
    MTS1200S
    Even the new 600s can be helped with tank pads that help your thights grip the tank. Check out stomp pads, or even better, Mspeed carries a better than stomp type of tank grip. It really takes the weight off your wrists, and uses your core to do the lifting.

Bruce is just saying that because we are getting old
    WMRC #42
    Sponsors:
    MSpeed Performance
    Motorcycle World
    RMR Suspensions

~If you can't change your situation, change your attitude. If you can't change your attitude, change your situation~

Registered User Array
    Bike
    Put your hands in the Freezer for about 3min's and then go take a piss......

You'll wann hold your grips about that tight !!!

Rookie Noob mistake...unless you got an R6..then sell it.

Bike
    tard
    If you're on a Ducati then you're probably holding your cappuccino too tight. Try lifting your pinky in the air, that should help enough to get you home.

Bike
    2003 Yamaha R6
    You shouldn't have weight on your handle bars at all, don't use death grip.

Bike
    Ms. New Booty
    Also note how much weight you hold with your knees. Squeeze your knees and you'll take weight off your wrists.
    There ain't no replacement for displacement

Happy Camper Array BlackScorpion's Avatar
    Purgasurrey Sportbike: GSX-R750, 2001 F4i, 2002 RM-9, 2003 Derbi SuperMoto Xtreme Posts:1,000,016!!
    Bike
    GSX-R750, 2001 F4i, 2002 RM-9 Posts:1,000,012!!
    I agree with Tee Tee. Start doing crunches. When you ride, sit a little closer to the tank and tighten your abs. That'll support your back and take the weight off your hands.

...and the six pack will get you chicks. Oh yeah!
    Team Troll
    "Happy New Ear!" - Mike Tyson.