My wife & I were talking about our annual ride and mentioned the possibility of going to Oregon to some friends. They immediately suggested that we head to Ashland to experience the Shakespeare festival. So that solved one problem: we now have a decent destination.
But the bigger conundrum: how to get there! I have mapped out one possibility here, but there are obviously a gazillion alternatives.
Number of considerations:
1. Leaving Saturday August 16, back home Sunday August 24.
2. We are really, really not big on droning along the I5. Coming back we may perforce do that in part to speed things up. Maybe.
3. Intention is to spend one full day and two nights in Ashland. We will make a booking at a B&B ahead of time to ensure we have a base to work from.
4. Cooler is better for us. First choice is therefore to head there along the coast. Can do some inland bits coming back.
5. Good, twisty roads are preferred. Unpaved not so good on a Gixxer.
6. One really long day is probably OK, but I would prefer not to do much over 500km in a day. Part of the plan is to stop, be tourists, take pictures.
7. In addition to roads suggestions, any sightseeing spot recommendations would also be appreciated.
Note that I have only started looking at getting there, getting back will be a subsequent task. We have also not even started looking at breaking it into 300km to 500km-ish days yet, much less suitable overnight spots. First order of business is to get the general route: the rest we will deal with after.
Looking forward to the responses, especially from the seasoned travellers!