The end of NOOB
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: The end of NOOB

Registered User Array Dougness86's Avatar
    Bike
    07 FZ6

The end of NOOB

I understand that noob is simply a label and learning to ride is a process not an event but in your opinion how many KM for a new rider before he is no longer considered a NOOB?

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

Swivel on it Array SkydiveSonic's Avatar
    Bike
    Chia
    Depends partly on skill, and mostly experience, not KM's ridden.
    If you wanna say something, speak into the mic. It's right above my balls.

Becoming Insane Array
    Bike
    Ducati
    nothing to do with KM's ridden.

This thread should be merged with the other one in New riders so we can mock it all together as one.

Bike
    2006 Honda CBR 600RR
    Wow, 2 in one day.

Please reference: http://www.bcsportbikes.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=103658
    .()_()
    (o'.'o) Thanks to Twinbros Racing for my avatar!

Not wearing pants. Array klutch's Avatar
    Bike
    Schwinn with tassles
    I like having two separate channels for humor. Then there's more than one topic available for discussion to totally derail the thread.

Bike
    bike
    generally, on this board, noob status disappears anywhere from 5 km's at PRS riding school in the parking lot to 40 kms in the snow with Ralpheal.
    Too sexy for this forum.

Registered User Array Son of Lars's Avatar
    Bike
    01 Honda RC51
    More to the point, who cares?!?! Prior to this year, I had 4 years riding, several track days, couple crashes, 2 bikes, multiple road trips, and several thousand km under my belt. But that was all in my youth, 12-16 years ago. Then I quit riding.

So, all that said, when I started riding again this year, did I become a noob all over again? Damn right I did! And I'm just fine with that. I will know when I am no longer a noob, and so will you. No time limits, no km's to get past, nothing. For some it may come when you counter steer around a truck about to run you over, without locking up and freezing in the saddle. For others, maybe it will come when you've been out to the track, and posted a fast time of day. Who knows? We'll all lose Noob status at our paces, and when WE ourselves know we're no longer noobs.

And when you do finally lose the noob status, don't think you know everything! Motorcycling is a constant learning curve.

Bike
    07 FZ6
    Guys, i am not an idiot, I understand the fact that its all about skill and 10km on a track teaches your more than 1000km on the road and its all dependent on how you ride. Why don't i phrase it this way: How long before you stopped considering yourself as a noob? Does that clarify, Man you guys are all about harshin' my mellow. Harshin' indeed

Registered User Array
    Bike
    zx10
    Ban hammer olympics?
    Quote Originally Posted by slowzuki View Post
    hhhmmmmmm....maybe kawi is not junk after all....LOL

Becoming Insane Array
    Bike
    Ducati
    You'll know, you won't have to ask on BCSB when that time is haha.

And you said you're not an idiot!

Bike
    07 FZ6
    ***sigh*** You guys take yourselves much to seriously

Becoming Insane Array
    Bike
    Ducati
    Didn't you see my crown?
    I'm royalty. I have to take myself serious, for the good of the world.

Bike
    FJarrrrrrr!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dougness86 View Post
    Guys, i am not an idiot, I understand the fact that its all about skill and 10km on a track teaches your more than 1000km on the road and its all dependent on how you ride. Why don't i phrase it this way: How long before you stopped considering yourself as a noob? Does that clarify, Man you guys are all about harshin' my mellow. Harshin' indeed
    While track time can up your learning curve considerably, it doesn't make you the best well rounded rider, so don't equate 100% track time to noobness. There are countless challenges you can meet on the streets that will never be seen on a track.

In terms of the "how long" question....it's all relative, and depends 100% on YOU, and only YOU. Everyone has varying degrees of skills, confidence, and tolerances, which are all variables in this equation.

Don't waste your time concentrating on some label...as mentioned by people above, you will know yourself, nobody can tell you. All that said, when you get to that point, where your confidence, riding ability, and general core competencies in this sport have evolved, there's always endless room for improvement....some people may consider themselves newbs for 10 years, while others may remove this self imposed label in a couple weeks.

Becoming Insane Array
    Bike
    Ducati
    Like Chia said, some of us are just epic.

Rossi still calls me for tips before a race, I keep telling him to look out for left hand turners, he keeps wondering why he calls.

Going slow to go fast Array Castro's Avatar
    Bike
    07 R6, 07 KX250F
    ha ha, this is awesome. Someone else has relatively the same question as mine.

It's funny but the majority of you say you shouldn't have to ask but on group rides there are restrictions re: the 'status' of your riding experience.

So it's not as simple as saying "if you have to ask"...or "you'll know when time comes" because if that's true I will always be a noob. I think there's way too much to learn to not be a noob forever.

So now here's a new question: at what point did you know that you were no longer a noob?

Cauz I KNOW the majority of riders on this forum think they are above noobiness.