Good Deal:YZF600 Vs XR400 ??

Thread: Good Deal:YZF600 Vs XR400 ??

Registered User Array
    Montreal, Canada
    Cbr954 03, Yzf600 98

Good Deal:YZF600 Vs XR400 ??

Hey guys,

I need your advises but let me introduce myself briefly first.
    I was riding a Ct70 Minitrail when i was 11-12 years old, but i already knew that the pavement was my thing. So, when i reached 16 years old, the legal age to ride a Motorcycle (not a scooter) i bought myself a old VF500 interceptor 85' and got myself a license. When i was 19, i upgraded to a YZF600 Thundercat 98' and this summer purchased a Cbr954 03'.

I never had the balls to practice stunts with those bikes because i didnt want to hurt them. But now, i still owe all these bikes and my plans were simple:
    1- Sell the Yamaha YZF600r 98' for 3000$neg
    2- Buy a motor for the VF500 85', and make it rideable (would cost approx. 700$)
    3- Learn to stunt with the VF500 85', while my CBR954 stay secure
    But then, while the YZF600 was for sale, somebody approached me and wanted to TRADE my YZF for his Honda XR400 1999, which as 1,250kms on it. I would then get rid of the old VF500, and learn to stunt with the XR400.

So to make it simple, i want to ask the pros, is:
    - Yamaha YZF600r 1998 @ 38,xxxkm VS
    - Honda Xr400 1999 @ 1,250km
    A good trade? Will i stay with my money?
    Is the xr400 a good bike to learn stunting? is it better than vf500?
    To the Owners/ ex-owners, what do you think of the Xr400?

2. Remove Advertisements

a noob who can't ride Array weitaro's Avatar
    scrap metal
    XR400? make it a MOTARD!!!

Out to pasture in the 'Wack
    04 Kawi Z1000,
    That's a bad trade. Your YZF is worth a lot more than the XR. Tell the guy he needs to toss in around $1500 to $2000 on top and that would be more like it. Especially if the XR has seen a typical dirt bike life and if your YZF is clean.

Also the XR would have to be licensed as a "custom" if you want to street it and it would require some seriously costly and work intensive mods for lights and stuff to make it ready for the inspection.

I'd say that if you want to learn to stunt then GET a stunt bike. The YZF is a great machine and it should sell quite well. Hell, I'll give you $3k for it if you tell me it's running and hasn't been dumped! More likely you'll get up around $4500 if it's in nice shape and with reasonable miles on it.

Then go buy a bike that has BEEN scuffed and dropped and that has a rep for no silliness when standing on the back wheel... like starving for oil and other minor issues.... Fit it with a crash cage and then go find a nice out of the way spot to learn your chops. You should be able to find such a beast for cheaper than your YZF brings in. Check with 5thGear, the stunt mainstream store around these parts. He's likely got a bike that he can sell you.

Or if you have decently long legs go buy a DRZ400 or a Husky 510 motard and learn to stunt on that. Goodness knows that lofting the front on my Husky is a real no brainer just lean back a little and twist, no clutching up required. Mind you keeping it up there is outside of my skills.
    A backyard mechanic without a service manual is just like a hooker without a lamp pole.... they are both in the dark.