Call it what you want, Splitting Lanes, Lane Sharing, Filtering, White-lining...
I use my bike to commute, and sometimes it can take 3 or 4 cycles of a stoplight before you can finally make it through the intersection because the traffic is so backed up. Or on highways like the 91 when traffic is at a stop and go crawl for miles.
My normal commute one way in regular traffic is about 30 minutes, in rush hour traffic keeping in my lane can take up to 1 1/2 hours for the same trip. With cautious lane sharing in rush hour traffic this "hour and a half" can be reduced to about 40-45 minutes. This would mean only passing traffic while stopped or when it is moving well under 15 km/hr.
Some of the main benefits I see for lane sharing are:
- Less chance of getting rear-ended
- Increases the flow of traffic
- Lessens fatigue
- Inhale far less exhaust emissions (Cancer causing carcinogens)
- Reduces emissions, use of fuel and better for the environment
- Promotes more people to ride and reduces congestion
- Better, more effective use of our roadways
- Saves a lot on your commuting time
So what do you do? In the poll you can choose more then one option.