Winter bike storage suggestions in Kamloops

Thread: Winter bike storage suggestions in Kamloops

Bike
    05 Yamaha R1, 03 R6 (R6 track)

Winter bike storage suggestions in Kamloops

I hope to have our two bikes arrive here in Kamloops from their trip across Canada, from Nova Scotia by next weekend, but now I'm trying to figure out how & where to store them for the winter months that look to be fast approaching.

Will start checking out prices for a storage unit in town, rent a steel box, perhaps find someone that has a large garage/shed with extra space or just find something else.

Wondering if any on the site have an idea with where I should starting looking here in Kamoops. Back home, the bikes sat in a heated basement all winter, so I never dealt with the bikes being in the cold over winter.

May look at putting them here in the kitchen for a while once they arrive until I can find somewhere else for permanent winter storage.

Anyways, any suggestions would be appreciated.

Tks,

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

Slow......... Array [BlackDiamond]'s Avatar
    Bike
    2013 Yamaha VMAX
    Craigslist
    2013 Yamaha VMAX 1700 ▪ 2009 Suzuki GSXR 750 ▪ 2005 Yamaha R6 ▪ 2001 Yamaha R6

Bike
    ummm
    Luckily Kamloops is pretty low humidity wise in the winter, quite dry actually. A couple things you can do:
    1] put fuel stabilizer in a full fuel tank, enough to last for how long you will store them, then run the bikes up to get the stabilized fuel into the carbs/injectors.
    2] Disconnect the battery, and plug it into a battery tender, not a charger, but a tender.
    3] If you really want to do it good, pull the spark plugs out, shoot a bunch of "fogging oil" cylinder protection oil, into each cylinder, and spin the engine over a few times [without spark plugs, or even your starter won't spin it over]. If you use the starter, ground out each spark plug wire so the ignition system will be able to discharge it's sp[ark energy.
    4] if you cannot lift your bike onto a center stand, put 55-60 ibs into your tires so they don't flat spot.
    Steve

Bike
    KTM 990R ADV, KTM 450SM, KTM 450 SX,KTM 300XC and other :)
    My employer and I have a ground level heated office (that is locked) and in a locked compound and we were talking about just using it as winter bike storage.

It should house 10 - 15 bikes but as it is an office that would usually generating rent so it wouldn't be free. We were thinking $50 per month give or take and are just at the throwing the idea around stage.

Personally I'd think that's pretty fair for a heated temperature controlled environment for the 4 or so months you'd need to keep your baby safe.

I must stress that this location is about as safe as possible. Locked office with people watching and in a locked compound.

Id be curious how many people would be interested and if I can get enough interest then maybe we can make it happen.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Humpty View Post
    My employer and I have a ground level heated office (that is locked) and in a locked compound and we were talking about just using it as winter bike storage.

It should house 10 - 15 bikes but as it is an office that would usually generating rent so it wouldn't be free. We were thinking $50 per month give or take and are just at the throwing the idea around stage.

Personally I'd think that's pretty fair for a heated temperature controlled environment for the 4 or so months you'd need to keep your baby safe.

I must stress that this location is about as safe as possible. Locked office with people watching and in a locked compound.

Id be curious how many people would be interested and if I can get enough interest then maybe we can make it happen.
    That's cool, as it stands right now, I need a place and have two bikes. Let me know if your game for this.

level 1 'Tard Array Snapperhead's Avatar
    Bike
    stolen/recovered now traded
    I was gonna post a spot for Humpty but he beat me to it

Bike
    I know this is a big favor, but wondering if there maybe someone that has a big garage that not full for winter or what not that I could store my bike and the GF's bike. Hope to only be for a month or two until we finally move into the city where we may have a spot at the new place or look into a rental until or something then.

Just getting worried now as winter is fast approaching and in order for me to get them into the city, I need to register it for a day to do so.

Thanks,

level 1 'Tard Array Snapperhead's Avatar
    Bike
    stolen/recovered now traded
    PM Humpty or Howatzer they may be able to fit your needs and I'll give them my OK for you

West Koots, I'm here.... Array flyfishinwoman's Avatar
    Bike
    a few toys
    Don't know about 'loops, but I stored my bike last year at a Honda dealership in Williams Puddle. I asked the owner about it, and although they had never done that before, he decided that it was a good idea, so my bike had a nice and warm place for the winter, at a rate of $30/month. Try hitting up the local dealerships there to see if they are amenable to the idea.
    Back in BC, yay!!!
    2010 Yamaha Vstar 950
    250 Saga Dual-sport
    AC quad
    BCSB #712
    WMRC #747 (2005)

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by flyfishinwoman View Post
    Don't know about 'loops, but I stored my bike last year at a Honda dealership in Williams Puddle. I asked the owner about it, and although they had never done that before, he decided that it was a good idea, so my bike had a nice and warm place for the winter, at a rate of $30/month. Try hitting up the local dealerships there to see if they are amenable to the idea.
    Hmm, good idea. Was this a bike shop or car shop?

Bike
    2007 BMW G650X-Challenge
    Kelowna BMW was storing bikes for the winter plus a service. Not sure what is is worth though.
    Dan
    2007 BMW G650X Challenge

Fuelled by rice Array racerboy88's Avatar
    Bike
    Derbi
    you should contact a bike shop. Most of them down here charge around $300 and that includes prepping your bike at the start of the season. All you have to do is call ahead, show up with insurance and ride away.
    02 R1- stolen Nov 24/02

Hang Thieves

West Koots, I'm here.... Array flyfishinwoman's Avatar
    Bike
    a few toys
    Quote Originally Posted by carterx View Post
    Hmm, good idea. Was this a bike shop or car shop?
    A bike shop. I just got storage insurance for the bike, showed the owner it, and all was good.
    Back in BC, yay!!!
    2010 Yamaha Vstar 950
    250 Saga Dual-sport
    AC quad
    BCSB #712
    WMRC #747 (2005)