Buying cars imported from the US

Thread: Buying cars imported from the US

Bike
    750, 600, 400

Buying cars imported from the US

Whats the downside to buying cars that were imported from the US? They're generally way cheaper...so what's the catch?

Bike
    The only catch is.....you have no real history of the vehicle.

Way cheaper is for sure.

My friend last spring when the dollar was above the us dollar, bought a 2005 GMC sierra full load, quad doors, leather, 4x4, Diesel with 55000 miles on it for $17500 from Florida. Cost him $500 freight to Sumas.
    Now that was a Deal !!!

Swivel on it Array SkydiveSonic's Avatar
    Bike
    Chia
    MPH vs kmh. If the clocks have both, your eyes adjust pretty quick to reading the inside numbers instead of the outside ones.
    If you wanna say something, speak into the mic. It's right above my balls.

Bike
    FJarrrrrrr!
    I've done this 3 times with cars, couple times with bikes...for some cars, the only potential downside is warranty.....certain manufactures don't honor factory warranties cross border.

For me, the cost savings more than outweighs this.
    Quote Originally Posted by G Hats View Post
    A sore ass is better than a shredded back!

** BIKE NIGHTS 2013 **

Swivel on it Array SkydiveSonic's Avatar
    Bike
    Chia
    We're so close the border though that assuming the car is running, you can take it across and get it fixed pretty easy.
    If you wanna say something, speak into the mic. It's right above my balls.

Bike
    FJarrrrrrr!
    Quote Originally Posted by SkydiveSonic View Post
    We're so close the border though that assuming the car is running, you can take it across and get it fixed pretty easy.
    Yup, those were my thoughts too.

** BIKE NIGHTS 2013 **

Bike
    750, 600, 400
    So from them sounds of it, the main issue is that you can't get a real history of the vehcile. Is there some kind of vehicle report you can get from their motor vehicle branhces or somewhere? Or do you just assume that it's a great deal because the car has been rebuilt 18 times?

Bike
    FJarrrrrrr!
    Quote Originally Posted by Scheme View Post
    So from them sounds of it, the main issue is that you can't get a real history of the vehcile. Is there some kind of vehicle report you can get from their motor vehicle branhces or somewhere? Or do you just assume that it's a great deal because the car has been rebuilt 18 times?
    Carfax can help, but is not flawless. But a newish car, from the original owner, private sale, best advice.

** BIKE NIGHTS 2013 **

Bike
    2007 Repsol CBR1000RR
    It's going to cost you nearly $1.30 CAD to buy USD right now. Factor that in to your "savings" to see if it's really going to be worth it at all. I personally have no idea, I'm just pointing out that unless you follow the currency conversion market, you might not know how much the rate has changed in the last 30 days.
    Team "Take it to the streets"
    No Gear Never!

Not wearing pants. Array klutch's Avatar
    Bike
    Schwinn with tassles
    Are we talking new or used here? If its used, there's no difference between buying one here or the US - you never really know the history. But then again, if you know anything about cars, you should be able to tell based on its condition, the owner, etc. Carfax and insurance history reports never tell the whole story anyway. As far as I'm concerned, a used vehicle is a used vehicle, doesn't matter where they come from.

Bike
    A couple of Suzukis
    Quote Originally Posted by WarChild View Post
    It's going to cost you nearly $1.30 CAD to buy USD right now. Factor that in to your "savings" to see if it's really going to be worth it at all. I personally have no idea, I'm just pointing out that unless you follow the currency conversion market, you might not know how much the rate has changed in the last 30 days.
    I think he's talking about buying a car that was previously imported from the US. With the loonie at a buck and a quarter to the greenback, it's not really worth the trouble of going through the import process (IMO). When I was thinking of doing this last spring/summer, the the cars & trucks I was looking at didn't offer a savings of +25%. But I guess it depends on the car...
    Maybe Mediocre
    BCSB - I hate you

Volvo Snow Plow Driver Array SpongeMonster's Avatar
    Bike
    Loud Nasty and Sorta In Control
    Other than the warranty requiring a little bit of extra foot work I don't regret saving almost 6 grand on my subaru one bit. It's actually incredibly easy importing a vehicle, the only hard part is waiting with a brand new car parked in the driveway and you're still driving your old piece of crap.

Bike
    750, 600, 400
    As Harps said, I never mentioned anything about importing a vehicle. I don't have the patience to deal with looking in the states unless it's saving me 5 figures. I'm wondering about buying cars IN Canada that were originally FROM the US.

Bike
    2007 Repsol CBR1000RR
    Quote Originally Posted by Scheme View Post
    As Harps said, I never mentioned anything about importing a vehicle. I don't have the patience to deal with looking in the states unless it's saving me 5 figures. I'm wondering about buying cars IN Canada that were originally FROM the US.
    Ahhh. I wouldn't treat it much different than any other car then personally.
    Team "Take it to the streets"
    No Gear Never!