Shoei Helmet Sizing

Thread: Shoei Helmet Sizing

destroyer of worlds Array parabol's Avatar
    Bike
    '03 F4i

Shoei Helmet Sizing

Anyone have any experience with HJC vs Shoei helmet sizes?

The reason I ask is because I'm about to buy a new shoei helmet off of ebay, but I want to make sure it fits perfectly. I currently have a medium HJC and it fits me great. So should I order a medium shoei or do they fit smaller/larger than HJC's?

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

Registered User Array mazda3dmd's Avatar
    Bike
    1992 Honda CBR 600 f2
    Quote Originally Posted by parabol View Post

The reason I ask is because I'm about to buy a new shoei helmet off of ebay, but I want to make sure it fits perfectly. I currently have a medium HJC and it fits me great. So should I order a medium shoei or do they fit smaller/larger than HJC's?
    I thought the 2 models that I tried on fit similarly but you are best to go to a shop compare them. Your head shape and helmet models that you are comparing ultimately determine how their sizing charts compare for your head.

Asian Persuasion Array dragnit02's Avatar
    Bike
    Pumpkin Orange
    I found the HJC's fit a little bigger. Try them on first in a store.
    So much work & so little time!!

I'm a girl. Deal with it. Array
    Bike
    2008 GSX-R 750
    ++ Find the same model in a store... Otherwise you'll be stuck with a helmet that doesn't fit. And that's just not a fun situation.
    If you aren't cheating death -- you aren't living ;)

Ride the winds of change Array scooter's Avatar
    Bike
    Adventure and Sport
    Take into consideration the exchange rate. If you have it delivered locally you will pay duty or sneak it over the boarder.

I recently purchased a rim off e-Bay. The exchange rate was another $30 + $30 shipping + $20 duty.

I signed up for a Point Roberts drop box, instead of fighting the lines at Blaine. Those dudes at the CNd side will not let anything through without duty. They will go as far to check your product on e-Bay.

A basic Shoei can be had for $400 Cnd locally.

More throttle less brake Array jfviffer's Avatar
    Bike
    05 vfr(deer Bait), crumphet 800 r1200s
    Quote Originally Posted by dragnit02 View Post
    I found the HJC's fit a little bigger. Try them on first in a store.
    I second that. i need a large HJC and a med shoei everyones different... unless your buying a replacement same brand helmet i would not buy online.
    go to store and try as many different brands as you can then decide.

destroyer of worlds Array parabol's Avatar
    Bike
    '03 F4i
    Quote Originally Posted by jfviffer View Post
    I second that. i need a large HJC and a med shoei everyones different... unless your buying a replacement same brand helmet i would not buy online.
    go to store and try as many different brands as you can then decide.
    Hmm, thanks for the input all. This seems odd as both Shoei and HJC claim that their medium size helmets are for 57-58 cm heads.

More throttle less brake Array jfviffer's Avatar
    Bike
    05 vfr(deer Bait), crumphet 800 r1200s
    Hmm, thanks for the input all. This seems odd as both Shoei and HJC claim that their medium size helmets are for 57-58 cm heads.
    heads and helmets are all kinda shaped different.. i guess. shoei fits my head the best.. i really wanted an Aria it didn't matter how many times i kept trying them on they just dont fit like a shoei. try 3 different brands of helmets same size and they will all fit different.. i have 3 helmets hjc large shoei med and shark med all three fit different.

Registered User Array djbrickhouse's Avatar
    Bike
    N/A
    Don't forget the brand aftermarket pads.

I think these are key to getting a proper fit. I changed my RF-1000 cheek pads to the 41 mm ones and I get a nice snug fit.

Bike
    Honda. Still. Again.
    I'm a Medium in Shoei.
    I'm a Large in HJC.

Perhaps it's not merely melon circumference, but also the shape of the melon that may affect sizing.
    Must be that Cro-Magnon forehead I got going on.

damn broken leg!!!!!!! Array gixxer_76's Avatar
    Bike
    2007 KX250 Ripper!!!!
    I use large Shoei for street and a large HJC for dirt. Large Suomy too.
    Just like a twig, your leg will snap if you smash it into a wall with a 400 Lb bike @ 100+ Km/h. So just don't do it!

http://www.saveonwheelrepair.com

Bike
    2005 zx6r

make sure you order the international models, i bought an x11 off of ebay from japan last year after trying it out in a store and it was too small, turns out they make different sizes for the Japanese market...

Bike
    tard
    i saved over $100 after everything on my rf-1000 on ebay from the us. just make sure they ship USPS..... NOT UPS OR ANY OTHER BECAUSE THEY WILL SCREW YOU WITH BROKERAGE FEES OR SOMETHING OF THE LIKE. Only bid on items that ship USPS

mike was taken Array
    Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by scooter View Post
    Take into consideration the exchange rate. If you have it delivered locally you will pay duty or sneak it over the boarder.
    I've bought two helmets from the states that I had shipped here, and was not charged duty on either of them.