Parliament is Prorogued!
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 152

Thread: Parliament is Prorogued!

  1. #1
    Vindicated Array JamieJames's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    C eh N eh D eh
    Bike
    2006 GSXR 750

    Parliament is Prorogued!

    Where's the discussion? Where's the debate? The cheering or disgust?


    Personally I think proroging parliament just to avoid a confidence is unconstitutional. It's bullshit. Harper should go down as the biggest pansy in Canadian political history.

    He tried to givern as if he had a majority, he made a judegement error, and he should pay the price and accept his face like a man. I bet when Harper was in elementary school he was the bully who made all the rules on the playground because it was his ball and the rules kept changing to suit his interests. What a dipshit.

    I VOTED for that dipshit. The Conservative party needs a new leader but right now the Canadian people need a new government. I would be just as outraged if any other party did the exact same thing Harper did.

    And what pisses me off more, is he's such a hypocrite. Everything he's bashing the coalition about, he DID when he was in opposition. What a hypocritical fuck.

    If we didn't have such a pathetic military I'd worry about a military coup because Harper looks like he wants to hang onto power at all costs. He is defying the will of Parliament.

    It's a disgrace.
    "It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so."

    -Mark Twain

    Hello BCSB!

  2. #2
    I like traffic cones :S Array made Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    hard in the mac
    Bike
    rsv4r
    and having a coup 8 weeks after the election where Canadians clearly said they want nothing to do with Dion and his policies is not unconstitutional?

    Having a communist, socialist, and a separatist forming the government is a good idea since when exactly?

    The only thing Dion wants to do is not go down in books as the only lieberal leader who did not get to be PM.
    "Honda = Boring, Suzuki = Wannabes, Yamaha = Poser, Ducati = Overated, BMW = Compensating, Aprilia = Insecure, Buell = BCIT business... go faKOffee." - PUREVIL

  3. #3
    Vindicated Array JamieJames's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    C eh N eh D eh
    Bike
    2006 GSXR 750
    Having the majority of Members of Parliament agree on a coalition is certainly constitutional. Period.

    I'm not saying a coalition is ideal, it's not. But Harper has defacto lost confidence in the majority of MPs.

    I'm not a fan of Dion, I voted for the Conservatives for that reason but this is affront to democracy in Canada. This is beyond partisan politics.
    "It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so."

    -Mark Twain

    Hello BCSB!

  4. #4
    Vindicated Array JamieJames's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    C eh N eh D eh
    Bike
    2006 GSXR 750
    And for the record, Harper has sought and obtained support from the Bloc and NDP in the past. So your argument of "since when is this a good idea?" completely falls apart.
    "It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so."

    -Mark Twain

    Hello BCSB!

  5. #5
    High Five Array StrongBad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Van City
    Bike
    '05 FZ6
    I think having the confidence of the Canadian voters is more important than having the confidence of parliament ( ie. your opposition ) in a democracy.

    We just had an election. The Conservatives won the election with more seats than the Liberals and the NDP combined. To put that another way; more Canadian voters want the Conservatives to form the government than any other party. Nobody voted for a coalition. Nobody.

    The coalition only works with the Bloq because the coalition needs their votes to defeat the Conservatives. That means that the Bloq holds the balance of power in everything the coalition would choose to do. The separatist party, that only represents Quebec, would be the deciding factor in everything that the coalition would choose to do.

  6. #6
    Vindicated Array JamieJames's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    C eh N eh D eh
    Bike
    2006 GSXR 750
    Nobody EVER votes for a coalition. Nobody votes for a minority either, that's just what comes out after all the votes are counted. You don't fill in a box that says "Conservative minority" or "Liberal minority" or whatever.

    MPs are voted by Canadians and are the voice of Canadians. And while I do not support the Bloc, they are a LEGALLY recognized party in Parliament and their voices cannot be ignored. LEGALLY. The fact is more Canadians voted against the Conservatives than for Conservatives. That's what makes a government a minority government. The ever-lasting threat to a minority government is the other MPs get together to kick your ass. That's how Parliament was designed. Re-writing the rules is unconstitutional.

    And what do you have to say about the fact that Harper was trying to form a coalition with the NDP and Bloc to overthrow Martin? HMMMMM? WHAT HAVE YOU TO SAY ABOUT THAT??? So far you've completely ignored that fact but bash this coalition. Hypocritical. Just like Harper.
    "It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so."

    -Mark Twain

    Hello BCSB!

  7. #7
    Registered User Array WarChild's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    White Rock
    Bike
    2007 Repsol CBR1000RR
    I was hoping that a new election would be called so we as voters would get the chance to punish the Liberal party completely out of existance.
    Team "Take it to the streets"
    No Gear Never!

  8. #8
    Vindicated Array JamieJames's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    C eh N eh D eh
    Bike
    2006 GSXR 750
    Quote Originally Posted by StrongBad View Post
    I think having the confidence of the Canadian voters is more important than having the confidence of parliament ( ie. your opposition ) in a democracy.
    Wow.. all I can say is Wow. Ignore Parliamentary process. You know that's Hitler did, right?
    "It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so."

    -Mark Twain

    Hello BCSB!

  9. #9
    Registered User Array Fanny Bay R1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Fanny Bay
    Bike
    06 Yamaha R1, 01 Dookie 996
    Michel Jean made the right call!! Now Harper can build a conciliatory budget and if the Liberals vote that down then they will be shown as the power grabbing eastern bastards we all know them to be!!!!

    That aside I hope Mr. Harper has learned his lesson and will operate appropriately within in minority parliament, well at least until until the good guys get a majority that is!!!!!!

    Cheers!!
    Andy
    06 Yamaha R1 (50th Anniversary) - R1's forever!!
    Georgeous Ducati 996 (the only bike as pretty as my R1!!)

  10. #10
    High Five Array StrongBad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Van City
    Bike
    '05 FZ6
    Quote Originally Posted by JamieJames View Post
    Wow.. all I can say is Wow. Ignore Parliamentary process. You know that's Hitler did, right?
    Dude, that argument is pathetic. I said the voters make the decisions in a democracy. The will of the people; that is democracy. Hitler is not a factor in that statement.

    Tell me what part of the Governor General prorogueing parliament is unconstitutional? How exactly could she do that if it wasn't legally possible? Do you feel that parliamentary process should be followed up to the point of including the GG, but stop there? Should we ignore the parts of our system that include the Governor General?

    If you're arguing for following the rules of our parliamentary system, then that includes the Governor General, and it includes her ability to prorogue parliament.

  11. #11
    Rain-or-shine commuter Array geobeck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    New Westminster
    Bike
    Honda 599
    Quote Originally Posted by JamieJames View Post
    ..he should...accept his face like a man
    If I had a face like Harper, I'd be saving up for plastic surgery.

    Seriously though, I think the whole situation is one big clusterfark. There isn't a leader in Ottawa right now that would make any kind of half-decent prime minister. As a matter of fact, I'd say there isn't a leader in the House of Commons, period. Dion is the biggest disappointment in Liberal history, despite having some good ideas, the NDP hasn't had a decent leader since the late 1980s, and the best you can say about Harper is that he looks nicely polished, like a brass doorknob in a sweater.

    It's ironic that two of the major players in brokering the potential coalition were strong leaders in their day.

    We need a head-of-state employment agency to headhunt a new leader for us. Find someone who has turned around a troubled city or state, like the engineer who redesigned the city of Curitiba, Brazil. Then get Michaelle Jean to tell the existing leaders "Okay boys, Canadians are fed up with you duckwads, so for the next four years (after a six month probationary period) you're going to vote on the new guy's policies. And if anyone forces another confidence vote, I'll smack you around with a rubber chicken!"
    "Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity." George Carlin

  12. #12
    Registered User Array OneTrack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Richmond, BC
    Bike
    2015 FZ07
    Quote Originally Posted by JamieJames View Post
    Wow.. all I can say is Wow. Ignore Parliamentary process. You know that's Hitler did, right?
    Are you sure you put an X in the Conservative box when you voted....?
    Harper's most certainly not 'ignoring Parliamentary process'. He's following Parliamentary/Constitutional rules to the letter.
    He did not prorogue Parliament....the GG did.
    Pulling the "Hitler" card is really silly, btw, and something I'd expect from a Liberal, not someone who professes to have voted Conservative...

  13. #13
    Vindicated Array JamieJames's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    C eh N eh D eh
    Bike
    2006 GSXR 750
    Quote Originally Posted by StrongBad View Post
    Dude, that argument is pathetic. I said the voters make the decisions in a democracy. The will of the people; that is democracy. Hitler is not a factor in that statement.
    I disagree entirely. Voters decide who gets to make decisions on their behalf. You and I do not go into Parliament to make our opinions known, that's what MPs are for. Hitler, in a minority government, started making small changes to the parliamentary process. I'm not saying Harper is going that way but there should be 0 tolerance for changing Parliamentary process.

    Quote Originally Posted by StrongBad View Post
    Tell me what part of the Governor General prorogueing parliament is unconstitutional?
    How is proroguing Parliament to protect a minority government that has lost the confidence of the majority of Parliament constitutional? That's the issue. Parliament is shut down so it cannot function as it otherwise would. I don't care who's in power, you lose the support of the majority of parliament, you're out. End of story. It doesn't matter which party it is.
    "It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so."

    -Mark Twain

    Hello BCSB!

  14. #14
    Vindicated Array JamieJames's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    C eh N eh D eh
    Bike
    2006 GSXR 750
    Quote Originally Posted by geobeck View Post
    We need a head-of-state employment agency to headhunt a new leader for us.
    I hear Bush is looking.
    "It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so."

    -Mark Twain

    Hello BCSB!

  15. #15
    Mortgage Pimp Array J_Scott's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Whistler, BC
    Bike
    I'm just here for the intelligent conversation.
    Okay, we have one of the strongest banking systems and economies in the world right now, we just had an election where the Liberals suffered a major defeat, no one wanted NDP and a one Province party got a lot of votes in their "one province". Why do we want a change?

    Harper DOESN'T want a dysfunctional parliament, which is why the election was called in the first place, and now I wonder why? I mean, look at how ridiculous they are at the hill right now? Get on and run the fucking country. At least Harper has the balls to do it, even if that doesn't mean spending every dollar Canada has left to pump up our economy... which actually grew last quarter.

    If you want to complain Jamie, complain about the sore losers that have basically stopped our gov't from working for the next two months and tried to Shanghai our Parliament.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •