BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

My dad is interested in a Hyosung

3K views 27 replies 16 participants last post by  jetmerritt 
#1 ·
What have people heard about these bikes? My dad saw one he liked at the bike show and is considering getting a used one. I think the model he looked at was an Aquilla. Any information/ personal thoughts would be nice.

#2 · (Edited)
Last season I test rode one for a friend , I told him his money is best spent elsewhere , it rode nice , brakes were good , looks good , but lots of cheap parts , and not a strong feel overall . Power is just ok . Main problem is getting parts from overseas , wait times were bad for some (right in the middle of our 3 week summer). Also there is no real dealer network to rely on . Price is excellent though , still ..................., I would give them a few more years of designing before considering putting down my money . Here is one for sale , go test ride it--------- http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/mcy/1012194188.html

#4 ·
The Aquila is a neat looking bike, IMO, Hyosung's best, BUT....I'm not a fan of the brand, and it's lackluster support.

I expect, if they try harder, this Hyuandai of the motorcycle brands, will probably be a forced to be reckoned with, but not quite yet IMO.

I think you can get equivalent value and better resale out pf a proven Jap brand right now.

#5 ·
The bike is $7200 brand new and the one he has seen is a 2007 has 10,000 km and is in the $3000-4000 range. I think my view would be you can't really go wrong for that price. But keep the thoughts coming.

#6 ·
You can tell your Dad that he's about to buy one of the ugliest bikes ever made, that he will be laughed at when he's out on it in the public, and resale value will crumble to virtually nothing unless he buys it for the deal of the century. This is worse than the Hyundai of bikes, this is the Yugo, Lada.
Steve

#9 ·
Wasn't my favourite looking bike at the show either, actually wasn't my favourite looking Hyosung, but it caught my dad's eye and that's what matters. All looks aside, I'm more interested in the reputation of the company and the quality of the bikes. I personally want him to get the Suzuki Boulevard (m109r I think was the one) but my mom would not look highly on him spending that on a bike lol.

It's good to know that the parts might be a little slow to get, then again this industry is notorious for that anyways.

Good point about the svs, I did not know that they were outsourced to hyosung.

#7 ·
Have a lurk, look around in here http://www.korider.com/forum/index.php for a bit and see what the owners have to say about their bikes. If lots of the posts are of the "help me fix this problem" or "I hate my bike" type, you should have your answer on whether to buy or not.

#8 ·
Don't forget the Suzuki SV650. One of the most popular bikes around.

It was outsourced by Suzuki to Hyosung. Design and parts are mostly from Hyosung.

Something to keep in mind.

Cheers

#11 ·
My understanding of the Hyosung involvement for early SV's was engine only.

I don't think Suzuki outsourced anything else, and the details are sketchy at best.

As far as your Dad being able to get a 2007 for $3k-$4k, I'd say that would be pretty tough to beat, for that type of bike. If it's clean, and runs well, I think that's probably some great value.

Obviously it's this one:

http://vancouver.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-motorcycles-2007-Hyosung-Aquila-650-W0QQAdIdZ92192002

I'm not a big fan of cruisers, but I personally think these 650's are very well designed in terms of appearance. They also seem to be one of the less cheap feeling Hyosungs IMO.

#14 ·
Best bet is to just test ride one , they do drive well , and for the price it's is hard to beat . Just don't ride it too hard , it feels like it will breakdown after a few good stompings :truck , but being a responsible old guy and a dad , he will likely just putt about happy to be rollin' on 2

#17 ·
I'd buy the 250 for my son if it was priced lower than the Kawi.

They don't have the same fit / finish... but if the price is right, anything is worth buying.

Depending on how tall he is, you might want to also look for a Kawasaki Vulcan 500. They are a cool little cruiser... with the Ninja 500 motor in them. Looks arent for everyone, but they are relatively cheap second hand and are bulletproof bikes.

#18 ·
He's quite a bit smaller than I am, isn't it nice when you out grow your old man lol. He's about 5'10" and 220lbs.

#22 ·
Hyosungs aren't that common here in Canada, mainly due to a poor dealer network. I know in Australia, they are very popular, and their GT250R is the most popular bike in the 250 class. That is partly because overseas they are priced more aggressively.

Keep in mind that's pretty powerful for a cruiser, puts about about 70 hp. When you consider a Harley big twin puts out about 65 hp with a lot more weight, you will have a peppy bike.

Drawbacks include cruiser riders will look at him in derision, and the older ones tended to have trouble with the air injection system in the rear cylinder.

If you compare it to similar priced models, it's head and shoulders above.

#23 ·
If it gets him riding, he likes the looks and enjoys the price, does it matter what others think. It's good your doing some background for him, your support will be welcomed I'm sure.

#25 ·
Definitely doesn't matter what others think, and he's not the type to care.

I'm just personally interested to find out what people know about the bikes. Sounds pretty good so far. I've mentioned it to him that people have made comments about the lack of a dealership backing, he already knew that apparently. The new model of the aquilla is rated at 74hp which is pretty decent for a small cruiser, definitely enough pep for him to enjoy. I'm going to throw some ideas and thoughts out there for him. Thanks everyone for the info.

#24 ·
I saw the Hyosung booth at the VMS, and didn't like all the models, but the Aquila is a decent looking ride. And the good news is that, for $3-4K for 2007, it's not going to drop further in value terribly quickly. That said, you can pickup a late model Boulevard for not much more: http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/mcy/1007491026.html or http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/mcy/1012036109.html

I'd prefer a name brand with easier access to parts and service, but it will come down to budget and comfort level. Both would be fun rides.

#27 ·
I Think it would be cool to see a husuong on d streets. IMO. they're not bad. I dnt know much about d brand, but it still a motor cycle. don't let u and ur dad get caught with all this propaganda. if he likes d bike, and the bike looks like it will be reliable, I say go for it. it'll b like bying a ducati, except the opposite, because price is cheap. gudluck

#28 ·
I would say let your dad try some other types of bikes as well.
My story is that I bought a katana and tossed my father in law the keys and said try it. He has a road star and a harley+open face helmet mentality. He rode the katana, never said much about it but came home 2 weeks later with a GSXR1000. Who knew? He said he would never ride a crotch rocket. Now I can't get him off the thing! He is 56 this year.

The rest of the story is that he let me ride the gixxer and I was kind of bummed at the lack of power of my cantuna. So to fix that he wondered what I would buy if I could buy what I wanted. I told him a Busa. So now he is buying me my dream bike. Hopefully march 1. Not sure how that worked out, I know I don't deserve it. Oh, yeah moral of the story - let him try a frickin' sportbike before he buys anything!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.