+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The real reason for ICBC's 'distracted driving' propaganda

Registered Luser sAdam is on a distinguished road
    Bike
    2008 fat kaw

The real reason for ICBC's 'distracted driving' propaganda

To justify another rate hike of course

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/britis...onth-1.2747244

what's that you say? a massively profitable government run monopoly shouldn't jack rates as a de facto tax increase that will only really impact the working middle class.

or did you say that they shouldn't spend huge amounts of dollars on a publicity campaign backed up by no reliable data.

malarkey. it's all your fault for talking on your phone while driving. unless you did it hands free while eating a burger and getting a hummer. that's cool.
    Last edited by sAdam; Yesterday at 02:06 PM.

Fastronaut Danke is on a distinguished road Danke's Avatar
    Bike
    RC
    That's counter to what the Transportation Minister said; he said they raised speed limits because accidents were down.
    Fill the house with bees.

Registered User Saskford is on a distinguished road Saskford's Avatar
    Bike
    2009 Kawasaki ER6n
    Are the 88 people killed annually by distracted driving also making injury claims, or how does that work?
    Of course if you're young, and out drinking, whoring, and toking till all hours on a Saturday nite, forget about it.

Wanderer of the Wastes DNAspark99 will become famous soon enough DNAspark99 will become famous soon enough DNAspark99's Avatar
    Bike
    MONSTEROSITY
    huh. if only there was some sort of emerging technology that could help eliminate distracted driving altogether, vastly reduce accidents, and eventually lower insurance premiums. hrm. "if only"....
    "I dread beyond all else the growth of the petty tyranny of restrictive legislation, the transference of disciplinary authority from the judiciary to the constabulary, the abandonment of every constitutional safeguard of individual liberty."

BCSB Public Relations kerunt is on a distinguished road kerunt's Avatar
    Bike
    eats autobahns
    Quote Originally Posted by DNAspark99 View Post
    huh. if only there was some sort of emerging technology that could help eliminate distracted driving altogether, vastly reduce accidents, and eventually lower insurance premiums. hrm. "if only"....
    I do wonder how automated driving will change our world. I suspect it'll be for the better, but some of the compromises will definitely take time getting used to. The next twenty years will be very interesting.

I'm curious to see what will happen to ICBC and similar insurance companies when vehicle accidents drop to near zero.
    Starbucks poses by me.

"Yamaha" - it's Japanese for "fuck your sports car."

Quote Originally Posted by slingshot View Post
    Some guys just have that certain je ne c'est CHIA....

Wanderer of the Wastes DNAspark99 will become famous soon enough DNAspark99 will become famous soon enough DNAspark99's Avatar
    Bike
    MONSTEROSITY
    Quote Originally Posted by kerunt View Post
    I'm curious to see what will happen to ICBC and similar insurance companies when vehicle accidents drop to near zero.
    Yeah, I'm a bit more than curious - I'm actively encouraging and eagerly awaiting it!

There WILL be a backlash. For example, the California DMV just told Google that they still require steering wheels and pedals in the 'GoogleCars' to quell those all-too-human fears of an 'unpredictable loss of control'....
    "I dread beyond all else the growth of the petty tyranny of restrictive legislation, the transference of disciplinary authority from the judiciary to the constabulary, the abandonment of every constitutional safeguard of individual liberty."

Registered User Saskford is on a distinguished road Saskford's Avatar
    Bike
    2009 Kawasaki ER6n
    Quote Originally Posted by kerunt View Post
    I do wonder how automated driving will change our world. I suspect it'll be for the better, but some of the compromises will definitely take time getting used to. The next twenty years will be very interesting.

They'll just sell you wildly overpriced "basic" and comprehensive coverages against fire and theft.
    Of course if you're young, and out drinking, whoring, and toking till all hours on a Saturday nite, forget about it.

BCSB Public Relations kerunt is on a distinguished road kerunt's Avatar
    Bike
    eats autobahns
    Yeah, I'm a bit more than curious - I'm actively encouraging and eagerly awaiting it!

There WILL be a backlash. For example, the California DMV just told Google that they still require steering wheels and pedals in the 'GoogleCars' to quell those all-too-human fears of an 'unpredictable loss of control'....
    Not surprising at all. I think that's mostly because it's a new and (in the public's eyes) unproven technology. It's scary. I think it's inevitable for these fears will subside and the tech will (over time) become part of our daily lives - especially when the older generations pass out of any power.

Quote Originally Posted by Saskford View Post
    They'll just sell you wildly overpriced "basic" and comprehensive coverages against fire and theft.
    ICBC is already doing that in face of competition from private insurers. I think that over time (as automated vehicles become the status quo) they'll have no choice but to lower premiums.
    Starbucks poses by me.

"Yamaha" - it's Japanese for "fuck your sports car."

Quote Originally Posted by slingshot View Post
    Some guys just have that certain je ne c'est CHIA....

Registered User m_grewal52 is on a distinguished road m_grewal52's Avatar
    Bike
    super sherpa
    does this count as a racket? is ICBC just a no good racketeer?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Racket_(crime)

Bike
    MONSTEROSITY
    Quote Originally Posted by m_grewal52 View Post
    does this count as a racket? is ICBC just a no good racketeer?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Racket_(crime)

> A racket is a service that is fraudulently offered to solve a problem, such as for a problem that does not actually exist, that will not be put into effect, or that would not otherwise exist if the racket were not to exist.
    Unfortunately horribly inept and otherwise distracted drivers are an all too real problem.

countdown to next crash.. Islesfan91 is on a distinguished road Islesfan91's Avatar
    Bike
    2012 ninja 650
    They had a 4 billion dollar surplus a year ago and were denied a rate hike. I expect the same this time around.
    Unfortunately horribly inept and otherwise distracted drivers are an all too real problem.

Registered User cdizzle_996 is on a distinguished road cdizzle_996's Avatar
    Bike
    06 600RR
    Sounds like they're trying to make up for all the refunds they just handed out

Unregistered User gwilo is on a distinguished road gwilo's Avatar
    Bike
    2005 Warrior 1700, 2009 Aprilia Mana 850
    Quote Originally Posted by Islesfan91 View Post
    They had a 4 billion dollar surplus a year ago and were denied a rate hike. I expect the same this time around.
    They have no surplus, they gave that money to the government to buy poodle statues.

So they now have no money.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuff View Post

I was going to write something but I couldn't care less.
    Quote Originally Posted by Islesfan91 View Post

what was the topic again?

countdown to next crash.. Islesfan91 is on a distinguished road Islesfan91's Avatar
    Bike
    2012 ninja 650
    Quote Originally Posted by gwilo View Post
    They have no surplus, they gave that money to the government to buy poodle statues.

So they now have no money.
    I want two of those to act as gatekeepers for my driveway and will then paint angry eyes on them to keep my neighbors in check and afraid of me.
    First bike:2011 Ninja 650r orange/black - crashed June 19/2012
    Second bike: 2012 Ninja 650 black - not yet crashed

Registered User bandito is on a distinguished road bandito's Avatar
    Bike
    CRF 230 BSA 650
    Quote Originally Posted by Saskford View Post
    Are the 88 people killed annually by distracted driving also making injury claims, or how does that work?
    If someone mows you down and kills you while texting in their car... what do you think will happen with your estate?
    Long Live Shervin Of The North!

+ Reply to Thread