Stuck in the snow in Southern California
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Stuck in the snow in Southern California

Fast Pack Slow Guy Array Tattoodles's Avatar
    Bike
    A privileged sufferer settling for an Italian motorcycle

Stuck in the snow in Southern California

Yep. Snow in SoCal.

I flew in to San Francisco last week and rented an FJR1300 from Thunder Road Rentals. $1000 for a week with unlimited miles, not too bad.

Rode south to Santa Barbara and then east to Las Vegas. So far so good with great, warm weather and nothing but blue skies.

We stayed in Las Vegas for three days at a beautiful 3,000sf lux suite on the Strip and waited for a huge thunderstorm to pass. On day 3 of languishing in Vegas we made our way to Death Valley and beyond, hoping to make it as far as Bakersfield but winds picked up to 35MPH in the desert and the sun was setting, so we hunkered down in Ridgecrest, near China Lake (Navy town).

This morning we set out in the frigid cold. Temps were hovering around freezing or slightly below. A massive cold front had moved in. The snow level was low on the surrounding mountains. We tried to make the pass on HWY 58 but the snow started to come down and before we knew it, there was snow on the ground and the bike was sliding around underneath us. Since the highway was divided, I had to ride about 2 miles on the hard shoulder in to oncoming traffic.

So we decided to ride south on the 14. Black clouds loomed in front of us and we were praying for rain and not more snow. About 20 miles south of Mojave it started to snow hard. So hard that snow instantly coated my visor and I had no visibility at all. So we turned around and headed back to Mojave, where we're stuck now. At least we have a warm hotel room and remarkably, it's sunny in Mojave while the snow surrounds all of our passes to the south and west.

All we have to do is drop down in elevation to the Bakersfield area if we want to proceed, which is only 45 minutes if the snow is plowed on the 58 by tomorrow.

Who'd a thunk we'd get snowed in, touring in Southern California, even in Feb.
    My bike is so much faster than yours that I dare you to ride it, you lame little turd. Do you have the balls to ride this BOTTOMLESS PIT OF TORQUE?

~Hunter S. Thompson

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

oldskool suzuki rules Array maggotbreath's Avatar
    Bike
    237 HP 86GSXR11 Turbo Streetfighter, 84 GS1150EFE, 73GT750 in pieces. XN85, GS250, GS450, BSA500X2, BSA650, XT350
    Quite an adventure... Then again I got cought by snow on the I-5 by Shasta in August. Good luck and post up some pics if ya got em!!

Bike
    FJarrrrrrr!
    Sounds like a neat trip, how bout some pics!!!!????

BCSB Public Relations Array kerunt's Avatar
    Bike
    none
    That sucks .

We got sunny skies here, despite snow forecasts.

Best of weather-luck!
    "Yamaha" - it's Japanese for "fuck your sports car."

Bike
    I'm just here for the intelligent conversation.
    Great info on the rental btw. I just might use them next year.

Hope you get out of the snow!

Bike
    Thanks! Thunder Road is a straight up and solid operation. They actually delivered the bike to the airport, picked me up at the terminal and made sure I was familiarized with the bike and the luggage system and underway in the airport parking lot.

I've got plenty of pix in the camera, just got to transfer it to the Web. Really beautiful pix, including shots of the Sierra Nevada mountains that are just stunning.
    My bike is so much faster than yours that I dare you to ride it, you lame little turd. Do you have the balls to ride this BOTTOMLESS PIT OF TORQUE?

~Hunter S. Thompson

Bike
    Oh man, stepped out of the motel room to find a pizza parlour. A few flakes of snow were falling from what I thought was some distant clouds. As soon as we pulled out on to the highway it turned in to a full on blizzard. Like full on, Winnipeg in February - no visibility at all blizzard.

I asked the front desk about how much snow they get a year up here. The woman working said that they get snow once every three or four years. Usually it's warm right about now.

We might actually be snowed in, in the morning. We'll see!

~Hunter S. Thompson

Bike
    Oh look! Now there 60MPH winds! It's blowing so hard I can't stand in place. And blizzard condition white out as well.

~Hunter S. Thompson

Bike
    FJarrrrrrr!
    That's crazy, who a thunk it! Is it sticking to the ground, is it gonna totally screw your riding?

Looking forward to seeing pics, pretty funny.....from my perspective, not yours.

The good news is that tomorrow looks good in your neck of the woods....dry & sunny, certainly not really warm though. Just enough of a window to let you guys escape.

Bike
    What's crazy is that we're only 90 miles from downtown Los Angeles and in a we're in a blizzard.

~Hunter S. Thompson

Bike
    FJarrrrrrr!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tattoodles View Post
    What's crazy is that we're only 90 miles from downtown Los Angeles and in a we're in a blizzard.
    Wow, didn't know where exactly Mojave was...YES, that's wayyyy crazy!

More throttle less brake Array jfviffer's Avatar
    Bike
    05 vfr(deer Bait), crumphet 800 r1200s
    snow in south CAL!!... What a piss off ...I wont tell ya it was great riding weather here on sunday

Bike
    I'm just here for the intelligent conversation.
    Quote Originally Posted by jfviffer View Post
    snow in south CAL!!... What a piss off ...I wont tell ya it was great riding weather here on sunday
    I dunno man... it was still cold.

That sucks Adam, thinking you should have rented one of those dirtbikes now?

Bike
    Alright, it's beautiful and sunny this morning and the wind is gone. The snow has vanished, amazingly.

It's like some scene from a horror movie has ended and it's the end of the movie and it's all pretty and pleasant now.

We're going for the pass... wish us luck.

~Hunter S. Thompson

contradiction incarnate Array slam's Avatar
    Bike
    TBA
    good luck man... crappy for that short while though

oddly, now there's snow here all of a sudden
    nobody gets out alive