3 years ago...
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 3 years ago...

RS 03.08.74 ~ 02.11.06 Array Rick's wife's Avatar

3 years ago...

February 11th marks 3 years since Rick was killed on his motorcycle on the S2S highway. I am not on here much anymore but just wanted to post up and update people on here who knew Rick or who know me...

for those who don't know the story, here is a thread about the accident:

It's so hard to believe that it's already been 3 years and sometimes hard to grasp how much my life has completely changed since the accident...

Our son Coen who was 5 months old at the time of the accident is now 3 and going to preschool. My brother Graham who was critically injured in the accident has made an almost complete recovery from his injuries. I ended up moving from the house we lived in as a family and now live in a new place. It took me a few years to adjust financially but I am luckily in a position where I can support Coen despite living on one income.

There were a lot of initial speculations about whether my brother and Rick were speeding at the time of the accident. While nothing was ever corrected in the media, Rick and Graham's names were cleared legally last year because the accident reports proved that neither of them were speeding or riding dangerously. A few months later Graham was finally compensated by ICBC.

Some days are still very hard for me, but I have learnt that we never really get over a tragedy like this but rather we readjust our life to it. I was given very little choice in all of this but one thing I could choose to do was continue to raise Coen the best way I could despite losing Rick. Being a single parent and widowed at 27 has been without a doubt the most challenging and terrifying thing I have had to go through in my life. And while sometimes these 3 years would have been easier to bear without the responsibilities of raising a baby, I credit how far I have come to having Coen in my life.

And so as another year passes, i look back at how far we have come and the steps we continue to take. I still receive so much support from friends and family in the motorcycle community and i thank you all for that.

Here is Rick's 3rd year memorial video:

2. Remove Advertisements

Daytona 675
    Truly a sad anniversary for you. I don't know you personally, but I happened to join the motorcycling fraternity the year your husband crashed. I remember reading about it and I still went ahead and took the course in the summer. I have followed the threads here over three years now and remember the story well.
    I am glad to see that you seem to be getting joy out of your life with your little one. I hope your family and friends continue to keep you grounded and moving ahead in life.
    Best of luck.

PS, I love the video. A great collection for your son to see someday.
    Last edited by Corwin; 02-10-2009 at 06:01 PM.
    “Calling upon my years of experience, I froze at the controls.”
    – Stirling Moss
    "I race to win." - Ayrton Senna
    "If he had survived Imola 94, we would all be racing for second place" - Michael Schumacher

Maple Ridge
    02 VFR 800 / 79 SR 500 Cafe
    Great to hear that you are doing well and making adjustments. Live, learn and enjoy all that life offers.

CBR600RR / RVT1000 RC51
    CRF 230 BSA 650
    Thanks for sharing.

I don't know either of you. But it does remind me once again of cherishing every moment with my family.

In a blink of an eye, it can... and does change.

Best wishes and again, thanks for opening your story to those who don't know it.

More throttle less brake Array jfviffer's Avatar
    Mom's Basement
    05 vfr(deer Bait), crumphet 800 r1200s
    even though i was not part of this community 3yrs ago or did i know Rick. your Story and video was very moving. It makes you stop and realize how precious every day is. thank you for sharing

Supporting Sponsor/Vendor Array GSXRKK6's Avatar
    Prince George
    none :(
    Time goes by so fast. Keep your chin up and continue to be strong.

Honour Canadian Vets Array M-doc's Avatar
    Deepest Darkest Lynn Valley
    1986 gixxer 750
    Rick's wife

I'm tipping a jar to you and your son. As someone who has also lost a loved one suddenly I can understand the range and depth of emotions you have experienced.
    It sounds like you've done a great job of managing your life since then... a real tribute to you!

you have my best wishes and my respect

GSX-R 750 G 1986

"There is no limit to the amount of good one man can do if he cares not who gets the credit"
    GM Marshall

"If you find yourself going through hell...
    Keep going."

Winston Churchill

Richmond, BC
    2015 FZ07
    That is a wonderful tribute that comes right from the hearts of both you and your son.
    Time does heal all wounds, but you never, ever forget.

05 Monster S2R
    be strong and keep smiling wonderful job with the video!

Re read the original post and refreshed my memory of the events..

Disappointing to think back that all we (as a Province) were worried about was the negative effects it caused on our olympics and the inconvience to people trying to get to their destinations.

Last edited by npausch; 02-10-2009 at 08:44 PM.

06 K12S
    I just read the original thread from three years ago, what a heart wrenching story. I admire your courage and ability to continue on after such a devastating tragedy.
    Great job on the video!

Mission, BC
    2004 R1, 2005 DL1000 V-Strom
    We love you both Rachel. Coen is lucky to have you for a mom!
    Reformatted to fit your screen.

Not Hanging Out Here Array Sailor's Avatar
    1978 Twinstar 185
    3 years.... wow. doesn't seem that long ago that Mog and Julia left us for better places either.

Glad to hear things are picking up for you and Coen.
    I ride purely, and only, because it is fun.

I ride because I love freedom, independence, and the movement of the ground beneath me.

**author unknown**

Still defying gravity... Array Thumper 8's Avatar
    3 and 6 cylinders of fury
    Rachel, thanks for the update. Glad to hear you, Coen and Graham are doing well.

aka Tony

My WMRC/Pitt Meadows and other bike photos are at Thumphoto.com - follow on Twitter and connect on Facebook

Registered User Array vancityS3's Avatar
    06 Triumph Speed Triple, 07 Husky 610SM
    Very touching video, I wish the best for you and your son.
    Finally Motarded!

Registered User Array
    Land of the 26" chrome spinners
    Tai Ni Po Ni
    Rachel, that video was really tough to watch. I can't imagine what you've been through the last few years.