Just installed my new heated grips....
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Just installed my new heated grips....

Bike
    2015 Triumph Tiger Explorer XC

Thumbs up Just installed my new heated grips....

Oxford Heaterz.
    Took me a couple of hours, more or less (a competent mechanic probably could have done it in half the time, but I didn't rush.

The part I though was going to be tough (the wiring) went very smoothly---didn't have to remove the tank as I though I would.

Fitting the actual grips required a little surgery---the throttle sleeve had a lip on the end that precluded fitting of the grip.
    Also, the throttle grip required a little trimming as it was binding on the bar end, preventing the throttle from closing.

Before I buttoned everything up permanently, I backed the bike outside, fired it up, and within about 45 seconds....GLORIOUS HEAT..

Later that afternoon I saw a dude on a Gixxer 600, stopped at a light with his frozen mitts cradled in his armpits....poor bastard.

I can hardly wait to get insurance!
    "Let us cross over the river, and rest under the shade of the trees."
    ~Last words of Gen. Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

Bike
    your girlfriend
    heated grips and a heated vest, are the best things you can buy, to extend your riding season.
    THE MOST DANGEROUS PART OF A BIKE, IS THE NUT THAT CONNECTS THE SEAT, TO THE HANDLEBARS.

Bike
    Big and slow
    Heated grips are great! I hope you used a relay to get the full power out of them.
    Flowbie- Mellowing with age...

Stolen from Atom:
    Being a road crayon sucks....put your gear between you and the pavement.

Registered User Array Scorpion71's Avatar
    Bike
    2009 KLR685,FZ6S
    Quote Originally Posted by flowrider View Post
    Heated grips are great! I hope you used a relay to get the full power out of them.
    Time for a little electrical lesson.

Using a relay has nothing to do with full power, a relay is just a set of contacts like a switch. You only have one voltage available on a bike. A relay is only used for two reasons;

1) Closing a circuit when your supply voltage is different than your switching voltage. Also known in the electrical profession as "interposing relays"

2) Providing larger rated contacts for a higher switching load when you want to use a smaller trigger switch that doesn't have the contact rating required. Therefore extending the life of your switch or in some cases just meeting load requirements.
    Last edited by Scorpion71; 02-15-2009 at 07:28 AM.
    I'm just telling it like I see it !

Bike
    I went with the Oxford Heaterz. Hot Hands (the other well-known brand) seemed like an excellent product, but there was a confusing array of switches, controllers, relays, that were "extra".

The Oxfords have an variable controller, and if you leave them 'on', they will shut themselves off if the battery voltage drops below 11.5 volts. Also, the installation instructions seemed more intuitive (make that "easy") to me.

The handlebar bracket that came with the oxfords wasn't really useable on the bandit, so I mounted the controller on the fairing with the supplied double-sided tape.

Bike
    Big and slow
    Quote Originally Posted by Scorpion71 View Post
    Time for a little electrical lesson.

Using a relay has nothing to do with full power, a relay is just a set of contacts like a switch. You only have one voltage available on a bike. A relay is only used for two reasons;

1) Closing a circuit when your supply voltage is different than your switching voltage. Also known in the electrical profession as "interposing relays"

2) Providing larger rated contacts for a higher switching load when you want to use a smaller trigger switch that doesn't have the contact rating required. Therefore extending the life of your switch or in some cases just meeting load requirements.
    Gee thanks. All I know is I got more power when I used a switch rather than tapping into a tail light like the instructions suggested but thanks for the techno geek lesson!

Stolen from Atom:

Swivel on it Array SkydiveSonic's Avatar
    Bike
    Chia
    Quote Originally Posted by Borgnine View Post

The Oxfords have an variable controller, and if you leave them 'on', they will shut themselves off if the battery voltage drops below 11.5 volts. Also, the installation instructions seemed more intuitive (make that "easy") to me.

That's the advantage of using a relay - ignition goes off and so do the grips. Also stops people switching them on when you're away from the bike and killing the battery.

Bike
    2002 vfr800a 2003 duc ss1000ds
    a relay allowes a higher rated circuit for power, and a low amp circuit for switching.

that way you can run a direct wire thru the relay from the battery for max amps, and a small switching circuit thru almost anything on the fuse panel that is switched by the ignition.

Bike
    05 Monster S2R
    seeing this post finally made me get off my lazy ass and wire my heated grips back up haha thanks for the motivation!
    Nick

Training Wheels Array
    Bike
    1999 Dromedary 1-Hump
    Where'd ya pick them up, and how much?

Swivel on it Array SkydiveSonic's Avatar
    Bike
    Chia
    Quote Originally Posted by Stargaze View Post
    seeing this post finally made me get off my lazy ass and wire my heated grips back up haha thanks for the motivation!
    Wanna do mine?
    If you wanna say something, speak into the mic. It's right above my balls.

Ninja, Pirate, or Zombie? Array Coffey's Avatar
    Bike
    zx10r
    Quote Originally Posted by Camel Jockey View Post
    Where'd ya pick them up, and how much?
    Seconded

Bike
    From these guys on eBay: http://stores.ebay.ca/Cyclebitz. They were $69.95US + $10.56 shipping. Came to almost exactly $100 Canadian.....
    They also included a big tube of epoxy. (although I used the superglue provided with the kit). Shipped it really quick.

Shop around, though. When I first started shopping for heated grips, most shops in my area were sold out--things may be different now.

Bike
    Also possibly helpful: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zysIrfK__M, an installation guide.

And here's a pretty good review.http://www.webbikeworld.com/r3/heate...ord-hot-grips/

Bike
    Big and slow
    or use the grips of your choice with Dualstar heating elements.

http://www.dual-star.com/index2/Ride...d_grip_kit.htm

$30

Stolen from Atom: