There has been a lot written on here about trip planning and how people do it. Today we sat down and finalized our ride to Alaska in June 2007.
I watched the clock and it took a little over 5 hours.
We had some key objectives and we have a good idea of travel times, mileages we can do ( Our shortest day is 87 miles - ferry arrival and our longest is a little over 600 miles)
1. Ferry up Bellingham, Wa to Haines, AK (this was booked 4 months ago as we wanted a cabin for the 3 nights)
2. Not a full on press ride (slower days, days for exploration and rest)
3. Prudhoe Bay as a destination, arctic ocean toe dip
4. Time to explore Denali National Park
5. Maximum time 3 weeks
6. Pre booking our hotel/motel accommodations before we leave.
This is our 2nd big northern trip as a couple riding and my 4th trip to Alaska. We are well aware of the issues with fuel,roads, construction and the vastness of it.
How we did it
One computer running streets and trips a second running google search of each town, I have the Alaska Milepost but find google faster.
I also searched the Alaska Rider's forum on ADVrider on every town we were visiting.
Failures - we ran out of time and had to blow off Homer, but it gives me a reason to go back again.
We worked out the mileages daily and booked our trip day by day as opposed to my old method "i need to be in Halifax in 4 days" and I will be sleeping when I get tired.
We already know what to pack, and how to set up the bikes.
If people are interested I will post up our packing lists and how we load the MC's
It is not that difficult it just takes time