BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

Jacket for summer?

4K views 18 replies 14 participants last post by  gc1226 
#1 ·
Hey guys, I've already done a search but didn't come up with any conclusive answers. I'm going to be a new rider (signed up for PRS in a couple months) so I'm not too familiar with all the gear. For those of you who use full textile jackets, did you find it too warm in the summer? Since this is my first season of riding, I'm looking to only buy one jacket for now. I'm currently deciding between a perf leather jacket, full textile, or combo mesh/textile. I realize leather has the best protection, but since I won't be riding until summer I figure it'll be too hot and I only plan on doing mainly city driving. The full textile seems to be the best option for me, but if your experience is that it is still too hot, I will look into a mesh/textile jacket for the summer, and maybe pick up a leather jacket for early spring/fall riding. These are the three jackets I'm looking at (thanks to made Man for the original link to these deals)

Full textile: http://www.bikebandit.com/product/17696
Mesh/textile: http://www.bikebandit.com/product/17697
Perf leather: http://www.bikebandit.com/product/17695

#2 · (Edited)
This is the jacket I bought.

I got it from Holeshot and the cool thing about it was it had little vents on the shoulders which Cam (salesguy) says keeps the jacket pretty cool during hot days. He says he personally uses this jacket as well. The one in this picture is the exact one I got and you can see the little vents towards the top of the shoulders:

And these are the gloves I bought

They also have little vents on two of the fingers as you can see in the following picture.

#3 ·
I have all 3 jacket options. Yes, leather will be warmest, and will have the most protection, especially if it fits well. Perforated will make it a bit more comfortable at speed, but don't expect much breeze if you're doing mostly city riding. Mesh offers the most heat relief, but probably has the safety equivalent of wearing nothing but elbow pads, shoulder pads, and a back protector - all held together with a lot of dental floss. Textile, especially if zipped to riding pants, is a good compromise. If only 1 jacket for now, i'd recommend a decent textile with a liner that you can remove for warmer days. Pair it with matching riding pants. You'll start to collect other pieces of gear as you go.

#4 ·
You can never have enough gear!! Like Bmac I have 3 options and it pretty much covers everything. I don't think there is one truly great solution.
I have:
1. JR textile jacket with a zip out fleece liner for those cooler days and for light, misting rain.
2. A* Leather 2 piece suit so I can wear both or separately. I find I wear the pants and the JR jacket together on long touring type rides.
3. Vanson Mesh jacket. Best mesh jacket out there IMO. All the CE armour sits behind cordura and leather to ensure you don't wear through in slide. It will do nothing for you if you belly slide.

If I had to buy one thing only it would be a Vanson Leather Full Perf jacket from BK. Their full perf lets a ton of air through but also has windproof panels that zip closed in behind. They also offer zip out insulated liners for them. Not cheap but then again quality is high. Also the stuff isn't the most "flash" but talk to riders and they will tell you that Vansons can survive not just one crash but several.

#18 ·
3. Vanson Mesh jacket. Best mesh jacket out there IMO. All the CE armour sits behind cordura and leather to ensure you don't wear through in slide. It will do nothing for you if you belly slide.
not really correct. at city speeds it will be fine. i have a nice hole in my joe rocket alter ego (i think) jacket and what stopped it from going all the way through was the 2 or 3 layers of mesh that it has under removable panels.

#5 ·
Well I've decided to splurge on two jackets (since they are on such big discount anyways). I will pick up the leather jacket for sure. Just not sure about the second jacket. Full textile (with shoulder and rear vent) or the textile/mesh jacket. Will a full textile with shoulder/rear vents be cool enough for city driving in Vancouver summer, or should I got with the textile/mesh.

#10 ·
I've ridden plenty in both textile and mesh. There is a significant difference in ventilation - nothing will beat a mesh jacket.

I don't advocate wearing less gear than more but it's been my experience that, in a 50kph slide down a city street, a properly-fitted mesh jacket will protect your skin about as well as a textile one and not that much different than a leather one.

The main difference between the fabrics, other than ventilation, is abrasion resistance. I've seen riders wearing mesh go down at high speed and low speed; but at low speed there's little sliding because you're just not going that fast, so that difference becomes smaller - for speed limit city riding. My only beef is that mesh jackets tend to have crappier pads and other means of protection (e.g. double layers, good stitching, external hard parts) as well as padding that is not securely in place and a back that tends to ride up on ppl sliding on their backs - not a good thing!

I still can't bring myself to wear mesh for anything over 50 but having witnessed several ppl sliding at just that speed and seeing the results, I've gotten comfortable wearing it for running errands DT.

Dude you still have plenty of time. While you do your classes in leather see how it feels under the sun. Maybe try on someone else's textile and stand around for a while - see how the difference feels. There's no cutoff time for buying something so don't wig out on this just yet. And good luck with the course.

#7 ·
Sounds like you already have an answer just want to hear it from someone else. You already know leather is better but if you thin it is to hot for it then it isnt as you wont wear it. The perforated stuff is really good on hot days though. Tectile is fine, that is why it is ok for beginners on trackdays. Get what you will wear so you dont end up being 'that guy' that has nice gear back home in the closet.

#12 ·
Thanks for all the tips guys, much appreciated.

I ended up ordering the perforated leather jacket and the cordura/mesh hybrid jacket. I was going to wait until I finished my course before buying any gear, but the deal originally posted by made Man was too good to pass up on! I got both jackets for $385 CDN total (shipping,tax, and duty all included).

#13 ·
Perforated leather jackets are awesome. Best of both worlds with regards to abrasion resistance and airflow.

Good tip for when you're riding around Osoyoos etc, or when it's 30 degrees or more - have an Underarmour Hear Gear top on, then over that have a soaking wet tshirt. Then put on your leathers and ride. Personal air conditioning for motorcycles. I've found that it lasts JUST long enough between fuel stops on highways etc too. Stop, fuel up, re-soak the tshirt, and off you go. Couldn't be better.

#19 ·
to 1q3er5

hey man you posted a pic of your jacket in this thread : http://bcsportbikes.com/forum/showthread.php?t=108638

What jacket was that??? Is there an insulated liner inside of it? I can't tell is it perferated leathor or textile. Thanks. [/QUOTE]

sorry for the late reply, i just discovered your message.

its perforated leather, with liner that can confirm to your back (and gut).

the brand is RS Taichi...GMX Motion is the jacket. pm me if interested.

#16 · (Edited)
Custom Made Gear !

We are now making custom jackets, pants and gloves (leather and textile) in whatever style, color, features and design you want. eg. perforation, shoulder venting, any range of colors, zipper options , (ie 2 way) armor preference etc...... Prices are less than $439 for the most detailed leather jacket. PM me or come down to the shop. We will sit down and design a jacket any way you want it. PS. All 3/4 length jackets are on sale until may 2 for $199.00. All Ladies bomber Jackets $159. Click on "testimonials" on our home page and read what some of our customers have to say about our gear.....Cheers. :rockon

#17 ·
I seemed to have acquired quite a collection of gear.i feel safest in all leather zipped together have several leathers including perf one piece. feel the most comfortable temperature wise in my trustee old firstgear textile jacket and alpinstar drystar pants. if you find a good textile jacket it should have zip vents on arms front chest and back thats what mine has it is cooler than my leathers with all vents open .with liner in and vents closed its warmer than my leather. you cant beat the versatility of a good textile jacket. however you cant beat the safety leather offers.make sure what ever you buy allows you room enough for a good back protector. i never ride with out one now no matter what gear i wear that day.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.