BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

KTM RC8 Video Review - Poetry as Bloodsport

2K views 15 replies 13 participants last post by  gripnrip 
#1 ·
#7 ·
Loved your review, eloquent.

Love the bike even more. Sat on it at the bike show for about 20 mins and was impressed how well it was designed (like how all the reservoir bottles and other soft bits are tucked in behind the frame so you could at least ride away in a crash).

I was "this close" to buying one at the show..........not for thrashing mind you, just for posing/jewelry points.

#9 ·
For me I think it plays on the safe side. I really like reading Fast Bikes articles and watching MCN Fifth Gear and Top Gear because they aren't afraid to give their opinion and they rattle through the specs because anyone can look them up. What I like reading or hearing is the information thats not in a brochure. How does it make you feel? Who is this bike good for? What is it good at? How does it suck? Is it a Track tool that can cut a razors edge line for the perfect cornering experience? Is it absolute shit in traffic? I guess I'm saying I really like a personal approach.

I will say your pieces are eloquent and articulate?

#10 ·
I think that was a great review. Too positive though! Be more critical and I think it will help you. I know you mentioned a few key things, but you didn't provide any evidence or footage or anything to highlight it; that's something that will definitely hit home for people that want to buy one of these.

I liked the use of language, very Clarkson. Maybe a little too technical though, not everyone cares about the tech nerd details. Find the balance between details and specs & the actual usage and feeling you get from it

Great footage too!

#12 ·
Great review overall. To expand on what a couple of others have said about the copy, I think it would work fine as a written piece, but read aloud, it comes off as a tad pedantic. I give you points, though, for using the word 'tectonic' in a motorcycle road test!

The thing I can't figure out is why the rattle-can looking finish on the fairing when the area surrounding the headlight module is a lovely orange metallic??

#13 ·
When I first saw the video on the net of this bike.....I was in Awe.

Now that I've seen it in the flesh at the Abby SHow....I wouldn't piss on this bike if it was on fire. The mix of gloss paint, flat Playdough lookin gas tank and some rubber blocks on the tank ..... ?? WTF.

1190 what ever, twitchy herky jerky throttle control.....why??

I love aggressive looking bikes for sure, but you have to match it with an agressive Video.....maybe an aggressive host (no offense Neil, you look suited to a mini van, soft and pale)

Where was the Mile long wheelie, the circle burn outs, the jump down some stairs????
Did you see this video?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SBQRQlww_E

If you don't feel anything after that....check your pulse, your dead.

#14 ·
Good criticisms folks, a lot of them will be incorporated into future videos where possible. That said I have to keep things realistic, we operate under the constraints of the real world.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SBQRQlww_E for example is a brilliant promotional piece, the result of a closed track and a healthy production budget. Being four guys who shoot a vid on spare time, we're never going to hit that mark - no track rental handy and a "I'll buy you a 'bucks in thanks" budget.

Aggressive host, nope, definitely not me. Host that bike companies will trust with a bike, maybe.

Having ridden the bike I'll stand by the review not being to positive, but fair, I'm not going to slag something for the sake of entrainment value. Yep, I did fall sort of calling the throttle control atrocious at in-traffic speeds. The balance I needed to hit was that most of the attributes that made the RC8 brutal in town, were what made it something special out on open roads.

The looks are always a mater of opinion, even with the two-tone matt/metal-fleck paint the bike does it for me visually.
Agreed DailyMotion sucks, we'll be moving away from them as a primary player in the future. For those sick of the jerky playback try:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G84ty3Uahr8&fmt=18

I've been shying away from YouTube cause they get weird around the Charity PSAs I've been placing at the start of the videos.

#16 ·
Really liked the review and vid. In the past I have found some of your reviews (video or text) to be heavy on the verbage (and distracting from the content) but contrary to the posters above I really enjoyed the commentary for the RC8.

I found the description fit the bike, showed your passion for it, etc.

As a writer it is a fine line between boring and dry, and pompous ass right? haha So more power to you, you're doing something that it looks like you love, finding your voice over time, and getting to ride some sweet machines!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.