BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

UBC Motorcycling Club: First official Bike Night RIDE!!!! April 7

8K views 91 replies 46 participants last post by  jimi-p 
#1 ·
Place to meet up: 41st. Ave and Granville St. "ESSO" in Vancouver

Time: Tuesday, April 7th at 6pm

Where we are going: Airport loop -> Richmond Back roads -> Surrey Back roads -> 5th Gear for BIKE NIGHTS!

Pace: Newbie to your own

The ride will last for about 2 hours and we will arrive at the bike night by about 8pm. The bike night is a great social event for bikers to meet up! Please see http://www.bcsportbikes.com/forum/showthread.php?t=108867 for more information.

We will have more experienced riders leading the groups. Experienced riders are welcome to join and lead our groups! You do not have to be a member to join our group rides, but it would be greatly appreciated if you would support the club by joining us. This ride will be weather permitting so is going to be so for all of our rides.

Remember, we are a newbie friendly club! Passengers are also welcome. For more info, please contact ubcmotorcycling@gmail.com

See less See more
#19 ·
Bushido, you need your gear. You don't want to go down without it, trust me on this, especially at the start of the season.

Anyway, I was jealous, as I'm still looking for a bike. But then today the weather was so horrible..... it may be until May for me....if only someone has a EX 500 for sale,... if only....

#20 ·
I think I will be ok I know theres going to be alot of flaming. I just spent over 600 in the helmet and gloves and go school FT so please dont bash me HAHAHA

thanks scorcha but i doubt they fit me =(

I have been on rides last year so im not new to the group riding I just cant keep up with you guys in the turns and I fall back.

The experience riders tell me dont try to keep up with us through the turns cause they will alway wait at the end. So I take their advice =)

Hopefully someone can teach me how to lean into a turn =)

#22 ·
Just my very humble opinion (and please regard it as such), but I really don't think a "random" group ride is the best environment in which to learn the basics on how to ride a bike.
I joined my first group ride after riding solo for 2 years. It was a very gentle ride with thoughtful, considerate riders comprising the group, yet I still felt pressure to "perform" and managed to screw up a couple of times with some very fundamental stuff that thankfully went more or less unnoticed by the group.
My suggestion is to do your first "group ride" under the supervision of an instructor on a Training Course. In the meantime, go it alone for a while and hone your skills "solo".
Like it or not, a spirit of competition can develop quite quickly during a group ride despite the best efforts of the people leading it, and will often develop amongst the people least qualified to "compete".
I'm not attempting to scare you off, Bushido....far from it. But your lack of experience and gear are not the greatest creds to bring to your first group ride. :thumbup

#28 ·
The UBC Motorcycle club looks like a great bunch of riders and I hear that this ride is newbie friendly (just pass my road test this week!).

Would love to come (just my kind of ride from the sounds of it), but weekdays aren't good for me.

Hopefully there will be more newbie friendly UBC motorcycle rides!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.