Frame sliders - yay or nay?
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Frame sliders - yay or nay?

Bike
    2009 Suzuki SV650SA

Frame sliders - yay or nay?

I've done a little research on this topic, but would like to hear what the more experience riders have to say.

While I've read that frame sliders are meant primarily to protect the frame of the bike itself and not the fairings, most people seem conclude that it does help protect the fairings at low speed drops that most beginner riders are prone to. However I've read that in some cases frame sliders can cause more damage to the bike in higher speed crashes. I've also read that the placement of frame sliders are important. Unfortunately, on the Ninja 250r, the fairing leaves very little mounting points for frame sliders. I'm looking at getting Intuitive Racing frame sliders for my bike, I'll try to find some pictures of the installed sliders to show the mounting point later as I'm not sure if their mounting point is optimal. So what are your opinions on frame sliders? Are they a worthwhile investment for beginner riders?
    '09 Candy Thunder Blue Kawasaki Ninja 250R (now the wife's)
    '09 Grey Suzuki SV650SA

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

Wanderer of the Wastes Array DNAspark99's Avatar
    Bike
    MONSTEROSITY
    yes. they will help a lot with low & no speed drops. Higher speed events, however, will result in your bike sliding farther... sometimes a LOT farther, as the reduced friction due to lack of grinding bits will let it sail on down the road.

I once watched a getoff at about 120kph or so, and the guys bike easily slid 200+ meters straight down the road, his slider ground down to a nub, but saved a bunch of other stuff.

I've also seen someone fail a wheelie, and same thing; sliders let the bike slide 100+ meters.... but in this case, it hit a crub, flipped through the air, took out a fence, and was completely fucked in the end.

moral of the story; avoid high speed getoffs, regardless of sliders or not
    "I dread beyond all else the growth of the petty tyranny of restrictive legislation, the transference of disciplinary authority from the judiciary to the constabulary, the abandonment of every constitutional safeguard of individual liberty."

Bike
    93 kaw
    I think they are worthwhile for a new rider, considering you are most likely going to pitch it lowspeed.
    I don't do PM's

Registered User Array 105mmgunner's Avatar
    Bike
    2006 GSXR - Still love her!!
    I got em, wife has em. Best to not fall over.

Bike
    '04 SV650s
    First time i ever dropped my first bike was about 2 months ago, walking it around a car in my garage. Engine off.

No damage to the bike at all, though it is mostly naked. Sliders definitely paid themselves off there.

Registered User Array 125cbr rider's Avatar
    Bike
    2014 Honda CB500X
    you should see if it really needs frame sliders. ive downed my cbr125 once. first week i got it, was washing it slippery/wet handle grips and myself slipped. my foot protector on the exhaust and footpeg saved everything. no bar end, mirror or fairing nor crankcase damage. might be a waste of money if the ninja 250 is like my 125 IMO

Bike
    2003 SV650s
    yay, saved my bike fearings when I droped her at low speed back when I was a noob .

Swivel on it Array SkydiveSonic's Avatar
    Bike
    Chia
    For the gravity fail moments, sliders = good. Nuff said.
    If you wanna say something, speak into the mic. It's right above my balls.

Eh Muh Gawd Becky!! Array Purplekawi's Avatar
    Bike
    somethin somethin somethin
    depending on the bike and length of slider, they are also designed to save important engine case covers from getting holes in them or water pumps from the same.
    That that doesn't kill us forces us to live with a busted up bike!!

Registered User Array Acuracura's Avatar
    Bike
    2002 Yamaha BWS
    Quote Originally Posted by 125cbr rider View Post
    you should see if it really needs frame sliders. ive downed my cbr125 once. first week i got it, was washing it slippery/wet handle grips and myself slipped. my foot protector on the exhaust and footpeg saved everything. no bar end, mirror or fairing nor crankcase damage. might be a waste of money if the ninja 250 is like my 125 IMO
    Agreed. I've dropped my CBR 125 and my gf let it fall over a couple times as well (all no speed). The only damage is a couple scratches on the signals. Either strategically or by luck Honda designed the bike to land on parts that won't easily break or require repair.

If it is a crash or slide then there will be major damage with or without sliders but it is more likely you'll drop the bike, which may not do any damage to the bike even without sliders.

Bike
    2006 CBR 600RR
    Personally... the way I see it, is they dont look that bad, its cheap, and its worth the piece of mind knowing if u drop your bike your not looking at a 900 dollar bill. better piece of mind means you'll ride with more confidence and thus less likely to drop it in the first place.
    An awkward morning beats a boring night at home.

Bike
    2009 Suzuki SV650SA
    Thanks for the advice. They have a set on sale for my bike, so I'll pick those up. How about spool sliders? I'm not too familiar with these...
    '09 Candy Thunder Blue Kawasaki Ninja 250R (now the wife's)
    '09 Grey Suzuki SV650SA

Bike
    The Mighty One
    The handiest part about a set of spool sliders is that you can use them with a rear stand that doesn't have paddles. I'm a fan of putting all the crash protection on that you can but a good set of frame sliders should be all you need for insurance from minor spills if you don't have or plan on getting a rear stand for spools.

Bike
    BMW R1200GSA
    Take a look at the Sato Frame sliders for the Ninja 250.
    I would agree with gixxstar as in getting as much frame protection as you can without going as far as getting a stunt cage, (unless you plan on that later for a stunt bike) I got frame, front axel, rear swing arm sliders, and a new stator cover from Woodcraft which has a built in slider puck as I slow sided my bike before and ground the stator cover open, Did I have frame sliders at the time? yes! did they save my bike from damages in the 3000 dollar range? yeps! All I needed was a rear slider, left side puck and a new stator cover, all the damage collected on the slider itself and my fairings only had two tiny scuffs which are barely noticeable unless you look up close.

I'd say get them even for a small bike like a 250 or a 125 unless you are willing to shell out more than 500 bucks for a new set of fairings.

Registered User Array
    Bike
    K8 GSXR 600
    Totally worthwhile! I dropped my bike and it was as if nothing happened because of them.

New fairings are expensive.