From 'salvage' to 'rebuilt'?

Thread: From 'salvage' to 'rebuilt'?

Registered User Array
    Bike
    '06 Gixxer

From 'salvage' to 'rebuilt'?

I've done a few searches, and can't find the required info. I'm looking at picking up a salvage-titled (NOT 'dismantle-only') 600, with the intention of turning it into a track/street legal bike on the cheap. I can't find the requirements about the inspection process anywhere - what's required in terms of passing? Lights, tires, wheels, etc, and does it have to all be OEM or can it be aftermarket (assuming it conforms to the MVA/MVAR)? And I've heard that the inspection process for a 600 is less demanding than that for a 750 and up - is that true? If anyone has a link to some page on ICBC's site or something it would be much appreciated - I'm not looking for guesses or opinions here.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

Bike
    93 kaw
    Quote Originally Posted by Balance Point View Post
    I've done a few searches, and can't find the required info. I'm looking at picking up a salvage-titled (NOT 'dismantle-only') 600, with the intention of turning it into a track/street legal bike on the cheap. I can't find the requirements about the inspection process anywhere - what's required in terms of passing? Lights, tires, wheels, etc, and does it have to all be OEM or can it be aftermarket (assuming it conforms to the MVA/MVAR)? And I've heard that the inspection process for a 600 is less demanding than that for a 750 and up - is that true? If anyone has a link to some page on ICBC's site or something it would be much appreciated - I'm not looking for guesses or opinions here.

It has to pass a safety, as well as meet all DOT requirements for the original model. You should contact your chosen inspection facility and they will tell you what you need, and will setup an inspection with you after you have it done. It has NOTHING to do with CC's. Doesn't matter if signals etc are aftermarket, so long as they meet req's.

If you are looking for the vehicle code specs, they can be found online (I'll try to get you the link in a mo'). They tell you how far apart signals have to be, where switches have to be, that you need mudflaps, horn, etc.
    First is Canada Act, second is BC

http://www.tc.gc.ca/acts-regulations...v/123/menu.htm

http://www.bclaws.ca/Recon/document/...s/26_58_00.htm
    Last edited by Fawn; 04-19-2009 at 05:01 PM.
    I don't do PM's

Registered User Array
    Bike
    '06 Gixxer
    Thanks Dawn. So as long as the bike conforms to those guidelines, I'm good?

Bike
    mini bike
    Just think of how a streetbike is put together? If you put it together as that it should pass DOT approved lights and such..

Imperial is not the only place to do inspections eh!
    Canada tire does them for 35 bucks plus tax.
    Just had one done not long ago!

:?

Registered User Array
    Bike
    '06 Gixxer
    Quote Originally Posted by zamaris View Post
    Imperial is not the only place to do inspections eh!
    Canada tire does them for 35 bucks plus tax.
    Just had one done not long ago!

:?

They do "federal inspections" (a VIN check) as part of the out-of-country importation process, not ICBC-mandated inspections.

Learning the hard way. Array skroonk's Avatar
    Bike
    N/A
    It's a little tough making a salvage bike pass unless you have everything pretty much stock. I'd say 50% of bikes on the road wouldn't pass an honest by-the-book-inspection.

I think that even the reflectors are mandatory to pass(?). Modified things like LED turn signals, fender eliminators, or any nicks or bends in the frame, and missing plate light all could make you fail in an instant.

Get to know some techs and you'd be surprised how far $100 and a case of beer can get you.
    WLF
    Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube ~ Hunter S Thompson.
    RideInPeace #48 Shoya Tomizawa (December 10, 1990 – September 5, 2010) ~ First Moto2 Legend.