2009 Ride For Doug - Sunday June 7th

Thread: 2009 Ride For Doug - Sunday June 7th

2000 Triumph Sprint RS

2009 Ride For Doug - Sunday June 7th

Hi guys.

Ride For Doug is a charity motorcycle event aimed at raising money and awareness for Muscular Dystrophy. Muscular Dystrophy is a deadly genetic disorder that cripples and kills every child it affects by the gradual destruction of the muscles in the body.

Doug is my 6 year old son, and he has Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy. Ride For Doug provides motorcyclists in Langley, throughout the Lower Mainland, and around the world the opportunity to get together, go on a ride, and raise some money. Last year we raised over $8,500 for the Vancouver Chapter of Muscular Dystrophy Canada. This year, we can do more.

We meet in South Langley, and ride through Langley, Abbotsford and Mission and end up back where we started for a big BBQ.

All the details are at www.RideForDoug.com. Check out the website for photos and video from last year's ride, as well as a special message from Ewan McGregor and Charley Boorman. Seriously cool.

Ride Starts: 1:00
    BBQ: 5:00

Cost - $20 per bike - waived if you bring in $50 or more in donations from friends, family, etc.

Please pre-register on the website. Space may be limited.

2. Remove Advertisements

'08 R1 Canadian Edition
    This is a call to all my riding friends... I did my first Ride For Doug last year and it was a wonderful eye-opening time. The company was great, the ride was well organized. I was able to participate as a Ride Captain - leading a group to the rest stops.
    I am personally challenging everybody out there to help raise some money for a great cause. I am up to $630 already....
    You can join the ride or just donate. Either way, do not pass on this great opportunity to help others.
    PADI Master Scuba Diver Trainer #261822
    EFR Instructor (Emergency First Response)

2000 Triumph Sprint RS
    Hello again. It’s less than less than 2 weeks away from the 2009 Ride For Doug. I’m pretty excited about how things are going this year. There’s an army of volunteers chipping in to make this a really special day again. The ride this year is on Sunday, June 7th . Ride leaves at 1:00pm, and the post-ride BBQ starts at 5:00pm.

We all have our reasons for riding, and I’d like to share why Owen, one of this year’s riders, is joining us:

Last year, my son Ryan was hospitalized in ICU for more than 9 months from complications arising from having muscular dystrophy. We've now seen first hand the devastation that this disease can have on a family and individuals. I feel like we've won the battle but we are still at war.

On June 7th, I will be riding for Doug, and Ryan, and Stratton, and Jordan, and Alisa, and Tyler, and Luke, and John, and Vincent, and Vicki, and Keith, and Angus, and.......... You get the picture. My life is surrounded by people affected by MD. My heart is touched by the strength and courage that they all have in accepting what they have and making the best of it.

What else can I do when not helping care for my son but have some fun, raise money to help support the cause, and at the very least help create awareness. The Ride For Doug may attract as many as 100 riders this year. Some won't even know when they sign up what muscular dystrophy is. Many along the way won't understand why 100 motorcycles are rupturing the tranquility of the afternoon as we cruise past their homes, stores, or cars. But money will be raised. Awareness will be created. More will be educated. And through money, awareness, and education, muscular dystrophy has a better chance of being arrested.

Please help support this ride through your donations. Check out the Facebook group or the website at www.ridefordoug.com where there are instructions to donate online. Thanks for your support and kindness.

This is just one of the many who will be supporting us in the fight against Muscular Dystrophy on June 7th.

Here’s how you can help:

1) Sign up at www.ridefordoug.com/register-now . I need to know how many burgers to cook, and the logistics for the ride. Even if your attendance is weather dependent – sign up as if it will be sunny because it will be.
    2) Start collecting pledges. If you collect more than $50 in pledges, your ride and BBQ is free. (otherwise, $20 will be collected from you at the ride) Donation forms are available from www.ridefordoug.com/donate-now
    3) Show up between 12pm and 1pm @ 20098 22nd Ave, Langley BC (just off 200th Street) to check in with your pledges/fee
    4) Can’t make it? Go for a ride wherever you are, and send in a picture and a note for Doug of where you went, or what your reason for riding was.

1) Join us at the BBQ at 5:00pm. The cost for the BBQ is by donation either online or bring it with you. We’re working on the honour system. Please sign up at www.ridefordoug.com/register-now so that I know how many burgers to cook.
    2) Can’t make it? Donate online at: www.ridefordoug.com/donate-now or send me a cheque made out to “Muscular Dystrophy Canada”. I'm sure ThunderAce would be happy to deliver it for you!

Thank you very much for your continued support and prayers.

Cam Penner
    Ride Organizer / Doug’s Dad