600rr overheating
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 600rr overheating

Bike
    2004 600rr

600rr overheating

Ok heres the back story. The rad had a few leaking lines in the water jacket so i chopped & plugged em per CG's recommendations. For the last month its been running great. No leaks or overheating problems. Everything works like it should.

4 days ago it started overheating for no reason. At stoplights it will heat up to 106-109C in fair cool weather and the fan cannot bring it down like it should. Yes it is turning on around 103c. At speed the temp goes down to the low 80's so the water pump seems to be working. Checked the thermostat it comes on at around 85C and drops the temp down to 75C before climbing again. It does seem to heat up fast in cold weather though. What do you think it could be? There is no white smoke out the exhaust so i don't suspect a cracked block\head gasket. Also theres no lost coolant either i checked this yesterday.

My mechanic recommended replacing the thermostat before bringing the bike in to be checked as its a cheap, easy thing to do first before anything else. So i just got a thermostat off brad at the chopshop and will install it this weekend. Any other theories?

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

Bike
    FJarrrrrrr!
    Your mechanic offered up good advice, try that, see if it continues....
    Quote Originally Posted by G Hats View Post
    A sore ass is better than a shredded back!

** BIKE NIGHTS 2013 **

Bike
    97 Thunderace (sold!), 91 F2 track bike, 04 600RR track bike
    If those rad lines you cut out were in the area that is covered by the fan, try moving the fan so that 100% of the airflow actually goes through the rad fins.
    Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Albert Einstein

Bike
    2004 600rr
    Quote Originally Posted by GerMan View Post
    If those rad lines you cut out were in the area that is covered by the fan, try moving the fan so that 100% of the airflow actually goes through the rad fins.
    It was the top 2 lines that were done and they were no where near the fan. In either case that wouldn't be it as ive already said its been working fine the last few weeks as ive been using the bike to commute to work. This problem cropped up a few days ago.

Bike
    It's a Honda!!!
    in hot weather my bike reaches 110 and even 113 with the fan running. once i am moving the temp goes down. doesn't seem to be too much out of the ordinary. But you may try and purge the rad and lines of any air bubbles. trapped air bubbles can cause an overheat especially if it can't move.
    Life cannot be taught. Life can only be experienced.

"You get there when you get there!!"

Three hour tour guide Array silverD's Avatar
    Bike
    '08 Varadero
    it's possible that when you cut and then JB'd you introduced filings or other pieces of crap into the system and that's now blocked off or restricted some of the other passages.

Another possibility is that all the work you did also broke other internal gunk loose that has now plugged off some of the runs...

You could take it off and take to a rad shop and see if thry can hook it up and flow test it to ensure that it's flow is not restricted.
    I'm not addicted! and I'm not quitting!!
    Heeere's your sign...

...and "always" look on the bright side of life...

Bike
    2011 CBR 1000rr ABS
    88 - 110 seems normal. Hot days at a light will creep up to 110. If you do a search you will find this temp range is normal

Bike
    2004 600rr
    Quote Originally Posted by CBR JOCKEY View Post
    88 - 110 seems normal. Hot days at a light will creep up to 110. If you do a search you will find this temp range is normal

Yes but i mentioned that this was not a hot day. The bike heats up to 106-110 while idling in the early morning or even after rainfalls. On a hot day this summer i know for sure im in for problems. So while it may not look like a big problem now i have only ridden it on cool days so far and its getting this hot. A stoplight in the summertime(especially in the okanogan) will surely cause alot of grief in this current state.

Also i mentioned that only a week ago the cooling pattern was much more predictable going from 100 to 106 at an idle with the fan bringing it down like normal.....now that fan is not able to keep up and it stays at a constant 106-110 depending how long it sits.

Three hour tour guide Array silverD's Avatar
    Bike
    '08 Varadero
    Quote Originally Posted by magis70 View Post
    Also i mentioned that only a week ago the cooling pattern was much more predictable going from 100 to 106 at an idle with the fan bringing it down like normal.....now that fan is not able to keep up and it stays at a constant 106-110 depending how long it sits.
    If it is in fact a problem and not normal it sounds like you've lost efficiency in your rad some how, take it off and have a rad shop flow test it, or your thermostat is stuck.
    Last edited by silverD; 05-15-2009 at 08:39 PM.
    I'm not addicted! and I'm not quitting!!
    Heeere's your sign...

...and "always" look on the bright side of life...

Registered User Array
    Bike
    600RR '04
    Quote Originally Posted by magis70 View Post
    Yes but i mentioned that this was not a hot day. The bike heats up to 106-110 while idling in the early morning or even after rainfalls. On a hot day this summer i know for sure im in for problems. So while it may not look like a big problem now i have only ridden it on cool days so far and its getting this hot. A stoplight in the summertime(especially in the okanogan) will surely cause alot of grief in this current state.

When i had my RR it heated up to round 106-110 sitting in traffic as well. On really really hot days maybe highest i've seen it was 115ish. Was pretty normal. How cold was the day when you noticed the engine temp gettin that high?

Just so you know the RRs commonly run at a bit higher temps. Thats the general consensus i've been hearin from some other guys w/ RRs

Tory Array
    Bike
    2005 RC51 (Fat Kid Love Cake)
    iv had a problem like this with my bike last year. but my oil light was on,
    and then it was over heating but i had to be moving fast but even then eventually it got high,
    it was a metal shaving stuck, preventing a valve to close properly before the oil pan. sometthing like that...

that fixxed it,

also possibly the oil filter could be wrong one if you just had oil change.
    if the wrong one the springs inside the filter could make the oil not flow properly.

other than this i have no idea.

Bike
    did ya bleed the coolant system properly when ya refilled the rad up after yer repairs? could be a big air pocket in there.
    BCSB- Moderator

Bike
    2004 600rr

yup

Quote Originally Posted by CG View Post
    did ya bleed the coolant system properly when ya refilled the rad up after yer repairs? could be a big air pocket in there.
    I bled the system right after the repairs and it ran fine for the longest time. I bled it again when this problem happened just to be safe and got a few more bubbles out....but still why would it change all of a sudden?

Bike
    2004 600rr
    Quote Originally Posted by Keiichi View Post
    When i had my RR it heated up to round 106-110 sitting in traffic as well. On really really hot days maybe highest i've seen it was 115ish. Was pretty normal. How cold was the day when you noticed the engine temp gettin that high?

Just so you know the RRs commonly run at a bit higher temps. Thats the general consensus i've been hearing from some other guys w/ RRs

Preaty cold out. Even on late nights and early mornings when its pretty cold out it will heat up like this...Im ok with it running hot but its not functioning properly anymore...the fan is designed to control the engine temp and its not being effective. Its only holding the temperature at bay and no longer bringing it down properly.

Villin Array
    Bike
    1990 EX500
    Should have done it properly the first time, man. How do you NOT figure that it is the hack job you did on that poor rad.

Ya, I know SOME people do it and it works... but you were just asking for trouble.

first thing you do is buy a proper radiator and flush your coolant system. then flush it again. now fill it and bleed it and see what happens.
    1990 Kawasaki EX 500

I'm a newb