My bike stopped today on 1st Ave... Flooding? battery problem? Am I just dumb?

Thread: My bike stopped today on 1st Ave... Flooding? battery problem? Am I just dumb?

Bike
    '04 600rr

My bike stopped today on 1st Ave... Flooding? battery problem? Am I just dumb?

Hey guys,

Riding to work today on my '04 CBR600RR, I was scooting westbound on 1st avenue headed into vancouver. My bike was getting pretty hot from just putting along in traffic, so I had the bright idea to cut the engine and let it sit while I was waiting for the light to change.

After starting/stopping the engine 3 or 4 times, my bike flat out refused to start. Right at Commercial and 1st. I sat there fumbling, trying to get it to work, but eventually just gave up and pulled it up onto the curb.

I thought it was just too hot, so I let it cool from 106 to 90 and tried again. No dice. Then I thought I might be flooding it by injecting fuel over and over again as I tried. I let it sit for another 15 minutes. Still no dice.

After letting it cool and sit for 25 minutes, I got fed up of waiting and I thought I'd try and bump start it. I don't actually know how to do this, but in all my forum whoring here, all I could remember was "downhill", "2nd gear", "bounce and pop the clutch". I walked my bike, in full gear, across Commercial and 1st crosswalk westbound, and started gliding down the crosswalk, clutch in in 1st gear.

1st gear didn't work. ;D

I got up to speed again, switched to second, and bounced. It worked. \o/

I will never again turn off my bike at a traffic light, and thanks to this board for subliminally teaching me how to bump start... but what happened? Has anyone ever had this? Am I doing something very, very bad by turning the bike on/off like that?

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

Tory Array
    Bike
    2005 RC51 (Fat Kid Love Cake)
    battery might need to be replaced.
    if you getting a new battery get amalgamated gel battery

Bike
    Kawasaki Land Rover and a liter-twin
    Don't know what happened, but here's the thing about your bike:

It's water cooled and has a fan. If you shut it off, the fan should actually kick in and run for a bit if it needs to. Having said that, I would not do what you did. I'd keep the bike running, have the fan kick in when it needs to, no big deal.

On an air / oil cooled bike that might be a different story as no movement = no air over the cooling bits ... that could eventually get to be a problem.

Beer League Racer/Asshole Array SnoDragon's Avatar
    Bike
    MTS1200S
    you drained your battery, but I wouldn't call you stupid, just inexperienced

Seriously, unless your temp light starts to blink, and on the CBR that starts at 121, you don't need to worry. Yes, it's uncomfortable sitting on a hot air blower in traffic, but just keep it running. Put your battery on a tender tonight to charge it back up slowly. Don't have a tender? Get one!
    WMRC #42
    Sponsors:
    MSpeed Performance
    Motorcycle World
    RMR Suspensions

~If you can't change your situation, change your attitude. If you can't change your attitude, change your situation~

Bike
    '04 600rr
    I have a tender; I'll be sure to do that. I thought it might have been battery related because as I kept trying, the screen would flicker on and off.. seemed hardly mechanical. :P

Also, noted about the bike, and thanks for the number as to what I need to actually worry about for heat. I see it hit 108 and I start to worry about it! 121 makes me feel a little better. ;D

Thanks for the help!

Eh Muh Gawd Becky!! Array Purplekawi's Avatar
    Bike
    somethin somethin somethin
    Check your battery connections too. I've read of them coming loose and cutting the engine out while riding.
    That that doesn't kill us forces us to live with a busted up bike!!

Registered User Array
    Bike
    04 R6
    you most likely drained the battery by cutting engine and starting it everytime you needed to move. i believe on an RR the battery doesn't actually charge until your RPMS are around 5000-6000. so in stop and go traffic doesn't allow your RPMS to go high enough to charge your battery

Registered User Array scubaphil's Avatar
    Bike
    99 R6
    the 03 600 RR are common on having shit batteries
    i was unable to bump start it so i was in pain last time pushing my bike.. it was on the julia's fairwell ride...
    If jack helped you off a horse would you help jack off a horse??

You start with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience before you empty the bag of luck.

Swivel on it Array SkydiveSonic's Avatar
    Bike
    Chia
    Quote Originally Posted by OvErKiLL View Post
    you most likely drained the battery by cutting engine and starting it everytime you needed to move. i believe on an RR the battery doesn't actually charge until your RPMS are around 5000-6000. so in stop and go traffic doesn't allow your RPMS to go high enough to charge your battery

Same with most bikes ..... Probably not as high as that, but sitting at idle in traffic isn't a great battery charge (ie it doesn't).
    If you wanna say something, speak into the mic. It's right above my balls.

I'm a she-male. Array integra298's Avatar
    Bike
    Scooty Puff Junior.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by SnoDragon View Post
    you drained your battery, but I wouldn't call you stupid, just inexperienced

Seriously, unless your temp light starts to blink, and on the CBR that starts at 121, you don't need to worry. Yes, it's uncomfortable sitting on a hot air blower in traffic, but just keep it running. Put your battery on a tender tonight to charge it back up slowly. Don't have a tender? Get one!
    I've always wondered what temp is too high ... sitting around at 100-105 feels like it's really bad for the bike... is 121 the 'limit' for an average 600cc or any other cc bike?
    -teg-

Hello? Anyone still out there? d:

Bike
    2 x daily driver 2005 R6's , 1999 project r6
    I installed a bypass for my fan. works normal but i can toggle it on when i want. if i see lights or lots of traffic i just flick it on before it even needs it. keeps er good and cool

Eh Muh Gawd Becky!! Array Purplekawi's Avatar
    Bike
    somethin somethin somethin
    Quote Originally Posted by integra298 View Post
    I've always wondered what temp is too high ... sitting around at 100-105 feels like it's really bad for the bike... is 121 the 'limit' for an average 600cc or any other cc bike?
    On a warm day in stop and go most bikes run between 100-108 with the fan working properly. In severe sit at the border and wait cases, the temp may rise slightly higher as heat saturation takes over but as long as it doesn't go above 115-120, things should be fine. When I hit the border and there is a wait, I shut down and take my helmet and jacket off to keep cool.
    That that doesn't kill us forces us to live with a busted up bike!!

Bike
    I'm just here for the intelligent conversation.
    I can't recall 100% but I think on my monster the fan only came on at 110 degrees.

Beer League Racer/Asshole Array SnoDragon's Avatar
    Bike
    MTS1200S
    Quote Originally Posted by integra298 View Post
    This is one of those "read the manual" times for your bike. On the CBR, the manual states that 121 is the upper limit. I'm not sure about other bikes.
    WMRC #42
    Sponsors:
    MSpeed Performance
    Motorcycle World
    RMR Suspensions

~If you can't change your situation, change your attitude. If you can't change your attitude, change your situation~

Bike
    Kawasaki Land Rover and a liter-twin
    On the Ninja the fan comes on at "4 bars".

On the KLR at "closer to H than C".