Using 0-40Woil?

Thread: Using 0-40Woil?

Registered User Array SpideRider's Avatar
    Fraser Valley

Using 0-40Woil?

Anyone use it? Is it recommended for our bikes?
    I'm a huge fan of Amsoil, and the local rep says he can't get the 10W40 anymore — despite the fact I saw it at Canadian Tire.
    But anyhoo, I bought the 0-40W before I saw CT had it and am wondering if any gurus here can advise whether using it would be kosher?
    Or should I shell out the extra seven FUCKING DOLLARS A LITRE to get the 10W40 from CT?
    Any help would be appreciated. I'm not a fan of paying $90 for oil every 5,000 kms.
    Cry in the dojo, laugh on the battlefield
    Sparring speed is a matter of simple physics:
    The height of your flight is inversely proportionate to the mass of your ass.

2. Remove Advertisements

Mission, BC
    2004 R1, 2005 DL1000 V-Strom
    CT can take their $20 liters and shove 'em where the sun don't shine.

$40 for a gallon of Motul 10-40W Technosynthetic at 3D(ummies) in Abby.
    Reformatted to fit your screen.

Registered User Array jaydogg888's Avatar
    2009 Buell Ulysses XB12X
    nothing wrong with 0W-40. You might get better mileage actually. I use 0W-50 in my truck. I do a lot of towing with it and it has a super charger. Works great.
    2009 Buell Ulysses XB12X

Registered User Array
    suzuki sv650s 2004
    As a general rule of thumb I would go by what your manual recommends. There is always a risk or compromise when you use something not recommended. Motors are enginnered to use a specific grade of oil unless they are modified or for competition use.
    The point is you want the right type of oil to protect your investment (your prized motor) at its fullest.

I use motorcycle grade penzoil 10w40 or 20w50 in my drz400 and gsxr600 at 5 bucks a bottle from lordco. Since it only takes a few litres it doesn't really hurt the pocketbook that much.
    Last edited by bitsnbytes; 05-26-2009 at 02:55 AM.