BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

bike wont start and doesnt even make a sound

996 views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  rana 
#1 ·
im riding a 94 zx7, ive never had a problem starting, through any weather or temp. however today i stopped the bike came back 4 hours latter and its not starting.

the lights turn on (all but the headlights that come on with the starter switch) but when i hit the starter switch nothing happens, there isnt even a sound out of the junction box.

i assume then that the problem is either in the kill switch, the starter button, or both the neutral and clutch leaver lockouts are reading wrong.

has anyone had this problem or can anyone provide more insight into it?

#3 ·
i had 94 zx7 as well. that bike had a good sense of humor.
sometimes it would not start when its in N with side stand out. it would make you pull the clutch in to start it then sometimes not. and when you start it with the clutch in and let it out slowly it would stall. they are some bitchy bikes. it gets funner. wait till your Neutral light stops working and turn signal lights. that little light cluster has like a timed date to stop working.

#4 ·
could be a few easy things....but firat eliminate that the battery has enough power so measure the volts...12.4 is the minimum...

next look at all the switches that keep the bike from starting...the bar kill switch, clutch switch, and kick stand....sometimes flicking them on and off many times is enough to get the contacts working again...

after that you can do a test light check to see if power is going to the starter...if it is then the started is cooked or the brushes are stuck so tap it with a soft hammer...

if it is no power then work your way back to the solonoid somewhere under the seat until you find power...

#5 ·
from my experiences.. try working the clutch in and out (while in neutral of course!) when pushing the button. that doesn't work go under the seat and try tapping the starter relay with the handle of a screwdriver while pushing the button.
also try bumping it in gear to turn the engine over as if you were pushing starting it.
These all worked for me in different situations when one of my working perfectly fine 7R's wouldn't start as you have described.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.