GSXR 600 Steering Dampber Adjustment

Thread: GSXR 600 Steering Dampber Adjustment

Registered User Array
    1995 Katana

GSXR 600 Steering Dampber Adjustment

Hey all.
    I just bought an '05 GSXR and find the front end very heavy and spongy turning. It's more noticable at low speeds.

Could you please offer some advice on how to adjust the damper to stiffen things up front?

Thank you!

2. Remove Advertisements

Eh Muh Gawd Becky!! Array Purplekawi's Avatar
    my front room
    somethin somethin somethin
    Supplied factory damper is non-adjustable.
    That that doesn't kill us forces us to live with a busted up bike!!

Out to pasture in the 'Wack
    04 Kawi Z1000,
    If it was adjustable it sounds like you'd want to ease it off a bit.

Actually I think you may be mixing up the effect of the damper with the effect of a badly set up suspension. What you should probably look at instead is taking it into someone like RMR for a basic suspension setup to tune the bike to your weight and find out about any significant issues the stock equipment may have.

The other possible cause if the steering seems like it has a mind of its own may be a really big flat center band on the rear tire. A wide flat center band will reflect on the steering. It makes it feel like the bars suddenly want to turn themselves in and lift the bike back up. And yes this effect is more prevalent at lower speeds.

It is truly amazing how a new set of tires will sharpen up a bike's handling in most cases.
    A backyard mechanic without a service manual is just like a hooker without a lamp pole.... they are both in the dark.