Gas tank liner?

Thread: Gas tank liner?

I like traffic cones :S Array made Man's Avatar
    Bike
    rsv4r

Gas tank liner?

Tried searching NAPA, nothing. Anyone knows were I can get some of that stuff here?

I have a strong suspicion that the rust in my tank is the reason why i keep having carb/starting problems... Getting that shit done once and for all will hopefully fix it for good.
    "Honda = Boring, Suzuki = Wannabes, Yamaha = Poser, Ducati = Overated, BMW = Compensating, Aprilia = Insecure, Buell = BCIT business... go faKOffee." - PUREVIL

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

Bike
    04 Kawi Z1000,
    How bad is the rust? If you drain some gas out into a glass jar do you see particles of rust flakes settle to the bottom? When you look into the tank does it look like a minor case of measles or is it quite a full blown "Rust Rash"? Does the petcock flow about a 1/2 liter of gas or more per minute? If it doesn't then it says that the screens inside are plugged. Remove the tank and then remove the petcock and drain out the gas into a bucket and see if it brings out a wave of rust flakes with it. If there are no rust flakes or "powder" then it isn't the rust in your gas. The screens on the petcock will prevent larger particles from getting through so you're really looking for some "powder" at the bottom of the jar as an indicator of a more serious problem. If it's really bad and the petcock just barely dribbles out gas again that indicates that the screens are plugged badly. But if the gas can fill a 1/2 liter jar in under a minute and there's no rust powder in the bottom after settling for a while then you're barking up the wrong tree and need to look more directly at the carbs for your issue. On an older bike pay particular attention to looking for air leaks between the carbs and head.

If it's not a bad case of rust I've heard of folks having good results with dumping in a box of 1/4-20 nuts with a 1/4 liter of gas and shaking them around to remove the rust. Be sure to count the nuts going in and out to make sure you get them all. Wash with a couple of splashes of gas to get out all the loose crud. For minor cases this may well be all the fix you need. But even so I'd add in a see through inline filter and keep an eye on it from here on for signs of flakes in the filter.

The lining product you're looking for is "Kreem". You won't find it at NAPA or Lordco but they may be able to order it. Check with a few bike shops, They'll have it. I know that BK tries to keep a pack or two in stock on the shelf. I've seen it there quite regularly. Imperial would be another good place to check.

It works well if you FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS TO THE LETTER! ! ! ! No cheating allowed. Do not pour in the liner itself until you're SURE all the alchohal (mid step) fumes are gone indicating that it has dried away 100%. And be sure that the liner coating is also 100% dry before you re-assemble the tank and fill it with gas. Time and some airflow through the tank is your best friend for both steps. But don't wait TOO long. After the alchohal mid step the metal has no protection at all so once you can't smell any trace of the alchohal it's time to pour in the Kreem coating. Once coated leave it for a few days with the petcock opening mask removed and air flowing through it to ensure it's really well dried.
    Last edited by TeeTee; 06-23-2009 at 11:39 AM.
    A backyard mechanic without a service manual is just like a hooker without a lamp pole.... they are both in the dark.

Bike
    Fuel imbibing, wheel lofting, darkie laying beast
    I would highly recommend taking your tank to someone to have it properly cleaned and coated. Coating is a bitch, and I've seen pros make a mess of it. Check you local rad repair shops, and they should direct you to someone that does it. Or call a bike shop, find out where they have them done.

I like traffic cones :S Array made Man's Avatar
    Bike
    rsv4r
    Quote Originally Posted by TeeTee View Post
    How bad is the rust? If you drain some gas out into a glass jar do you see particles of rust flakes settle to the bottom? When you look into the tank does it look like a minor case of measles or is it quite a full blown "Rust Rash"? Does the petcock flow about a 1/2 liter of gas or more per minute? If it doesn't then it says that the screens inside are plugged. Remove the tank and then remove the petcock and drain out the gas into a bucket and see if it brings out a wave of rust flakes with it. If there are no rust flakes or "powder" then it isn't the rust in your gas. The screens on the petcock will prevent larger particles from getting through so you're really looking for some "powder" at the bottom of the jar as an indicator of a more serious problem. If it's really bad and the petcock just barely dribbles out gas again that indicates that the screens are plugged badly. But if the gas can fill a 1/2 liter jar in under a minute and there's no rust powder in the bottom after settling for a while then you're barking up the wrong tree and need to look more directly at the carbs for your issue. On an older bike pay particular attention to looking for air leaks between the carbs and head.

If it's not a bad case of rust I've heard of folks having good results with dumping in a box of 1/4-20 nuts with a 1/4 liter of gas and shaking them around to remove the rust. Be sure to count the nuts going in and out to make sure you get them all. Wash with a couple of splashes of gas to get out all the loose crud. For minor cases this may well be all the fix you need. But even so I'd add in a see through inline filter and keep an eye on it from here on for signs of flakes in the filter.

The lining product you're looking for is "Kreem". You won't find it at NAPA or Lordco but they may be able to order it. Check with a few bike shops, They'll have it. I know that BK tries to keep a pack or two in stock on the shelf. I've seen it there quite regularly. Imperial would be another good place to check.

It works well if you FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS TO THE LETTER! ! ! ! No cheating allowed. Do not pour in the liner itself until you're SURE all the alchohal (mid step) fumes are gone indicating that it has dried away 100%. And be sure that the liner coating is also 100% dry before you re-assemble the tank and fill it with gas. Time and some airflow through the tank is your best friend for both steps. But don't wait TOO long. After the alchohal mid step the metal has no protection at all so once you can't smell any trace of the alchohal it's time to pour in the Kreem coating. Once coated leave it for a few days with the petcock opening mask removed and air flowing through it to ensure it's really well dried.
    wow. thanks!

i will start with simple things first. buddy's coming by on friday and we'll pull the tank and check sparks and fuel filter first.

still, it should not be doing this 2 months after a service
    "Honda = Boring, Suzuki = Wannabes, Yamaha = Poser, Ducati = Overated, BMW = Compensating, Aprilia = Insecure, Buell = BCIT business... go faKOffee." - PUREVIL

myside.yourside.myside Array bluenote's Avatar
    Bike
    sold :/
    I haven't tried to remove rust before in a tank, but I imagine the trick TeeTee suggested maybe combined with a little CLR might do the trick handily ... some reason thats not a good idea?

Really, once the rust is removed , if it is treated gently the problem shouldn't re-occur ... ?

Cory

Ridin hard n dirty Array Mr.Sushi ya ha's Avatar
    Bike
    bunch "o" bikes
    The Kream kits are good for when there are little holes or thin spots....if it is just minor rust issues I think it is cheaper to just get the tank media blasted then flush with a rust killer...

Place in Langley by Western does blasting...

Then run a clear fuel filter and problems should go away....

PS the screen in the fuel tank is usually fine enough that the particals that get past either settle or get sucked through the main jet...

Cracking the float bowl drain screws and catching the fuel in a clean container to examine isnt a bad idea...
    Remembering Bill Mclean.
    Having had a colonoscopy......I have now seen where the sun don't shine......(Me)
    Cancer Sucks!!!

oldskool suzuki rules Array maggotbreath's Avatar
    Bike
    237 HP 86GSXR11 Turbo Streetfighter, 84 GS1150EFE, 73GT750 in pieces. XN85, GS250, GS450, BSA500X2, BSA650, XT350
    I've used Kream in the past and not been impresed with the results, in fact I would highly recomend to anyone to stay away from it!!!!

On the other hand I've coated 3 tanks now with Por15, way better stuff!!! The Turbo has it, no problems to date.

Registered User Array
    Bike
    2003 Yamaha FJR
    Maybe try a sloshing sealer which is what is used on some aircraft. You can probably get it from Aircraft Spruce which now has an outlet in Ontario. If it's used on aircraft, you can be sure it's likely to be safe on a bike. Not cheap but you won't need much.

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/pdf/20...l/Cat09170.pdf

Be careful of the commercial places that clean your tank. They may soak the whole tank and you may end up need a new paint job too. Make sure to ask if you go that route.

Registered User Array Commuter Boy's Avatar
    Bike
    Suzuki Bandit
    Stay away from Kreem and other type liners. They are really hard to do right, and after a while will start to disintegrate completely plugging your filters or petcock.

Bike
    04 Kawi Z1000,
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    I haven't tried to remove rust before in a tank, but I imagine the trick TeeTee suggested maybe combined with a little CLR might do the trick handily ... some reason thats not a good idea?

Really, once the rust is removed , if it is treated gently the problem shouldn't re-occur ... ?

Cory
    I'd avoid the CLR if you can. By using gas, or at least cleaning solvent, for the flushing liquid you avoid the need to rinse with water and then use alchohal to purge the water residue.

Good point on the coating issues. I've heard and seen a 50-50 success rate on Kreem. That's why my warning to use it very much by the rules and don't skimp on the drying time for the coating. But done correctly the success rate is actually quite high from what I've seen reported here and there. But try to cheat and speed things up and it turns to a nightmare in the blink of an eye.
    A backyard mechanic without a service manual is just like a hooker without a lamp pole.... they are both in the dark.

Registered User Array beemerandy's Avatar
    Bike
    09-K1300S-77 r 100 rs
    I have used cream it. I think it was called. After a couple of years, huge chunks of the stuff started breaking lose from the bottom of the inside of the tank. All it is ,is some sort of two part epoxy. You mix it up,appropriately a liter and dump it in and roll the tank around. Bad part is you lose a liter of gas space! Clean the tank and if your running carburetors,empty every winter and it will last for ever.

Registered User Array Puck Luck's Avatar
    Bike
    1993 gsxr 750
    i just bought some POR-15 from lordco for $50. It's suppose to be better than the Kreem stuff. I'll be trying it out next week, and keep you updated as to how it goes. found rust in my tank and think that is whats causing my bike to stall.