TPS very tech question Yamaha R6 2000

Thread: TPS very tech question Yamaha R6 2000

Bike
    93 kaw

TPS very tech question Yamaha R6 2000

First, I don't have the year with the known recall, mine is a 2000.

Now, in testing my TPS, the values are supposed to be say from -1.0 k/ohms to 6k/ohms as you turn the throttle with key to on.

Mine is doing a very strange thing...
    Starts at anywhere from 2800-3500 k/ohms at closed throttle. When throttle is slowly opening, goes from 2.8-5.8, but jumping all over in that range, no smooth transition, sometimes even showing open circuit and thene sometimes way up again near 3000 k/ohms.

When I attempted to do the tach fault code, it does not show a fault code.
    When I attempted the dealer TPS adjustment code, it shows 3000 instead of 5000 (0 which would indicate a fault, need of adjustment/angle not enough, 5000 indicates correct, and 10,000 indicates angle to far.).

It sounds like the TPS might be faulty. I am going to turn the tps in adjustment mode to try and get to 5000 today.

Background, choppy intermittent throttle probs, chopping out, dying at low speed. Checked pump, carbs, plugs, pickup, coils, etc. all good. Engine is healthy and runs great WHEN the problem is not killing it.

Any ideas?
    Last edited by Fawn; 06-27-2009 at 02:52 PM.
    I don't do PM's

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

Bike
    gsxr600
    I had a TPS issue on my gsxr. How i fixed mine was by adjusting the sensor using a torx wrench and have the cpu in dealer mode, then making minute changes in position in the sensor it fixed my problem. Do a search on the gixxer.com on 'herky jerky' and that will give you some insight..
    although I have no idea how Yamaha's work, hope this helps somewhat..
    Tires tell the tale

Bike
    93 kaw
    Quote Originally Posted by Shizon View Post
    I had a TPS issue on my gsxr. How i fixed mine was by adjusting the sensor using a torx wrench and have the cpu in dealer mode, then making minute changes in position in the sensor it fixed my problem. Do a search on the gixxer.com on 'herky jerky' and that will give you some insight..
    although I have no idea how Yamaha's work, hope this helps somewhat..

Hi, its not the tps, got that all done, on to the fuel pump...arggg
    I don't do PM's

Bike
    93 kaw
    Yep, I know it operates like a rheostat. And, I know at the closed end you can sometimes have 'static'.

The error was in the multimeter. I tried a different meter, and it varied only from .3-6k/ohm. Very slow and stable, I tested off and also on bike, also reset and adjusted. Its all good. Tested all specs all perfect in reference to Yamaha Service Manual specs.

I also tested the fuel pump resistance and flow rate, all good (resistance is a little low at 2.8ohm but still good).

Next is to pull plugs AGAIN for signs of what is going on, and recheck coils/leads again. Failing that I have checked the entire system and am left with only CDI.
    I don't do PM's

Eh Muh Gawd Becky!! Array Purplekawi's Avatar
    Bike
    somethin somethin somethin
    I'm curious...what does the TPS on a carburretted bike do??
    That that doesn't kill us forces us to live with a busted up bike!!

Bike
    93 kaw
    Changes timing based on throttle position.
    I don't do PM's